What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

While we're on the topic of racism...

EGGG

Juniors
Who thinks that "Roy" is an extremely racist nickname for Symonds. Basically it claims Symonds looks like Leroy Loggins when the only thing they have in common is that they're both black. For a start Symonds is twice the bulk of Loggins and looks more like an aboriginal than an african.

The name "roy" insinuates to me that the people who use this term thinks all dark skinned people look the same, I don't know why Symonds is OK with being called Roy while getting upset over the monkey taunts.

Bazal

Post Whore
EGGG said:
Who thinks that "Roy" is an extremely racist nickname for Symonds. Basically it claims Symonds looks like Leroy Loggins when the only thing they have in common is that they're both black. For a start Symonds is twice the bulk of Loggins and looks more like an aboriginal than an african.

The name "roy" insinuates to me that the people who use this term thinks all dark skinned people look the same, I don't know why Symonds is OK with being called Roy while getting upset over the monkey taunts.

How do you know that's where the nickname comes from?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Roy is dark skinned last time I checked.

There is a subtle difference between a racist term and a derogotory racist term.

Where do we draw the line ?

I have to deal with it here every day with members calling other members racist.

For example if I call a NZer a Kiwi, that could be deemed racist, but I dont see it as being derogatory.

If I call him a sheep f**ker, that would be deemed derogatory.

I do think political correctness is taken too far sometimes, but its here and we have to live with it.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Twizzle said:
I thought Roy was his middle name

he has no middle name. brad is george hogg's middle name. ;-)
regarding roy's nickname, he said it on the cricket show a few times and ian healy has mentioned it once or twice IIRC.
on the topic of this, we could say that saying that tasmanians looking the same is "racist". :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
EGGG said:

i read his father gave it to him http://www.theage.com.au/news/crick...ica-in-twenty20/2006/01/09/1136771505307.html

Andrew Symonds (Roy) Given to him by his father after the English comic book hero Roy of the Rovers.

ozbash

Referee
the 'Black and White Minstral Show' make up he uses in the ODI's doesnt help.

Seth Gecko

Juniors
Always thought it was a nickname from 'Roy of the Rovers' ......... the English cartoon about a soccer player who could do anything. Read that somewhere.

ozbash

Referee
HevyDevy said:
And why is that Ozbash?

it over emphasisis his multi racial, multi cultural upbringing.

I think ponting would look hot with the "BLACK" anti-glare cream under his eyes.

Dont you Hevy ?

HevyDevy

Coach
Aside from the fact that he didn't even have a multi-cultural upbringing, how exactly how does it emphasise it?

If Ponting wore black anti-glare cream ... [please finish this sentence for me Ozbash]

ozbash

Referee
[please finish this sentence for me Ozbash]

..................it would even things up ?

Do I win Hevy, do I win ?

Actually, he did have a multi cultural/multi racial upbringing.

HevyDevy

Coach
He grew up in Australia - and as far as I know he hasn't changed races anytime recently.

I'm curious as to what it is you're trying to say about wearing zinc.

ozbash

Referee
it makes him look like a black and white minstral. Tony Grieg commented on it years ago.

The guy is adopted, he's brown, his adoptive parents are not. multi racial ?
a different culture to his natural parents ??

thats what i'm trying to say hevy...

ozbash

Referee
hardly. only one of his biological parents were black

what colour was the other ?

multi racial.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
didn't tony greig say "where did they buy her from?" or something about an asian reporter?? much like john brogdan did

http://cpcabrisbane.org/Kasama/1999/V13n4/Greig.htm

The image of an Asian woman marrying a white Australian triggered Greig to make an offensive and malicious 'leap of thought'. Talking to Taylor in their privileged booth, he blurted: "Lovely little bouquet there and have a look at the carnation in his lapel..." Referring back to the bride, Greig continued, "Do you think she's been flown in?"

Latest posts