What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

cop this one boys and girls

1. Ben Barba
2. Bryson Goodwin
3. Josh Morris
4. Ben Roberts
5. Steve Turner
6. Trent Hodkinson
7. Kris Keating
13. David Stagg
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
11. Frank Pritchard
10. Aidan Tolman
9. Michael Ennis
8. Ryan Tandy

14. Greg Eastwood
15. Jamal Idris
16. Dene Halatau
17. Grant Millington

18. Micky Paea
19. Michael Lett
20. Gary Warburton
21. Chris Armit
22. Michael Hodgson
23. Corey Payne
24. Johnathon Wright
25. Joel Romelo

Can anyone spell 'depth'??

See you in September boyz

Cheers,
Moffo

If that was the Tigers squad for 2011, I'd be sobbing, a lot.

As for the thread itself, I think Saints, Roosters, Tigers and Warriors for the top 4.

I think the teams that will struggle are Parra (Carl Webb and Chris Walker ffs) Cowboys and Dogs.

I think the Sharks will be the big improvers.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I think the heavyweights will be the Tigers, Roosters and Dragons again.
Tigers have added plenty of toughness to go along with their attacking brilliance and will feature prominently once again.
Roosters have excellent halves and will only get better after the disappointment of this year's GF. Those tipping the Storm to win the comp are a bit ambitious I think, just because you miraculously kept your cat fullback and tosser hooker (with Cronk, etc) doesn't mean you are specials. The Storm are going to have to get used to receiving plenty of stick from opposition fans.

I honestly think that the Sharks can sneak into the 8 this yr..
A lot of games last yr they were beasten in close ones ,so with a bit of luck on their side ,& a good run with injuries they will go ok.

Goddo

Bench
Its way too hard this far out, but it might go something like:

1. Tigers - 3rd best side in 2010, looked very very good. I'd expect big things for 2011.

2. Roosters - Very good side with good esprit de corps. If a little more concistent than 2010 and they should challenge for the Minor Premiership

3. Raiders - Since signing Orford, they are looking good. Should be pushing top half of the 8 and threatening.

4. Dragons - I recon there-abouts again, but lacking the awesome second row depth will hurt a bit. Too drilled and well coached to not threaten again, but the cap is starting to squeeze the club.

5. Warriors - this year should be huge for the Warriors. Hosting the ANZAC test will do RL good in NZ in a Yawnion WC year.

6. Rabbitohs - crap coach, big forwards, lots of names, crap halves. Could be awesome, could be terrible. Bottom of the 8 somewhere.

7. Broncos - too much money and young tallent for them to miss out again. Building up again from last year.

8. Storm - still have a lot of class, and a lot of young blood, but won't do much better than making the finals.

9. Titans - on a slide without Rogers.

10. Knights - due for a solid year. I'd have them sneaking into the 8. On par with the Titans and Storm

11. Panthers - They were the over achievers of 2010. Can't see a repeat performance. Good defence style play, but don't have the halves. Petro 1 year older...

12. Sea Eagles - positive signs with Stewart back, but a side on the slide all the same. Having one owner now helps. Probably in a rebuilding phase.

13. Cowboys - a few good signings, but...

14. Bulldogs - a team of mediocure players this year. somewhere between 9th and 15th.

15. Sharks - still in a massive black hole of debt. 1 good signing. Forwards look good, the rest are reserve grade. 2011 is a good one in Cronulla if they avoid the spoon and sort their finances.

16. Eels - good coach, but in fighting and player mutany. Look like finishing near the bottom of the heap. I half expect another board overthrow

Eddie.

Bench
I rarely come in and talk my own team up at the start of the year. However I think Wests Tigers look very, very good. They used 31 players last season, the third most of any club and went very close to winning that PF against the Dragons. For mine they look the best 17 on paper when at full strength. However I have to be wary of the Sheens factor, and the factor that we have never as a joint venture made the finals 2 seasons in a row.

Tigers v Rabbits GF for mine.

Sharks Spoon.

Ausguy

Coach
I rarely come in and talk my own team up at the start of the year. However I think Wests Tigers look very, very good. They used 31 players last season, the third most of any club and went very close to winning that PF against the Dragons. For mine they look the best 17 on paper when at full strength. However I have to be wary of the Sheens factor, and the factor that we have never as a joint venture made the finals 2 seasons in a row.

Tigers v Rabbits GF for mine.

Sharks Spoon.

Im taking all bets on this not being the case.... PM me anyone i will take all bets.

boxhead

First Grade
16. Eels - good coach, but in fighting and player mutany. Look like finishing near the bottom of the heap. I half expect another board overthrow
It is all up in the air in 2011 no doubt.

The Eels I think could go in any direction. They are without doubt the most unpredictable team in the NRL nowadays. They could finish last, they could barely miss the eight, they could finish top four, they could be minor premiers, or go one step further. That is what I absolutely hate about supporting them, it is way too hard to judge them. Also too inconsistent!! :)

However, if they are going to have a bad year, it won't be because of player mutiny. The players are all happy and like the new coach, in my opinion the political side of things hopefully won't be an issue either.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I struggle with the dogs support.

Serious contenders...........honestly.

My team may not be as shown here...but the support for the dogs, shows up those not in the know.

No Chance at the premiership this year. Do like the coach.

Just suprised at the thought.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Tell you what Moffo, if you are tipping your team to win, I will give you 100000-1 odds.

Will take you $10 bucks for lunch tomorrow.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It is all up in the air in 2011 no doubt.

The Eels I think could go in any direction. They are without doubt the most unpredictable team in the NRL nowadays. They could finish last, they could barely miss the eight, they could finish top four, they could be minor premiers, or go one step further. That is what I absolutely hate about supporting them, it is way too hard to judge them. Also too inconsistent!! :)

However, if they are going to have a bad year, it won't be because of player mutiny. The players are all happy and like the new coach, in my opinion the political side of things hopefully won't be an issue either.

The eels aren't unpredictable, they are terrible. Won't finish anywhere near the top 4.

adamkungl

Immortal
last time I tipped the Eels for the spoon they made the GF. So, I'm not so sure. Last year they were a mess. Nuffy halves whose gameplan consisted of 'give the ball to Hayne'. Was shut down very early in the season and they never recovered. I don't think Kearney will have them playing the same type of football - if he does his NRL coaching career is dead before it has started. But Kearney seems a reasonably switched on coach, I think Parra will suprise this year. Fringe top 8 somewhere.