What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

Gaba

First Grade
I struggle with the dogs support.

Serious contenders...........honestly.

My team may not be as shown here...but the support for the dogs, shows up those not in the know.

No Chance at the premiership this year. Do like the coach.

Just suprised at the thought.
you have to give moore some credit though

when the dogs lose he admits they were unlucky because the other team had a better game plan

boxhead

First Grade
The eels aren't unpredictable, they are terrible. Won't finish anywhere near the top 4.

"The eels aren't unpredictable"
Alright then;
2009: picked for the wooden spoon by many, ended up being grand finalists.
2010: listed by many as the premiership favourites, don't even make the top eight.

If that isn't unpredictable then I don't know what is.
They have recruited badly in comparison to most other teams, but in saying that they have the best young coach in the game (arguably) who from all reports has broken down the lazy and soft core that has been haunting them for years, and with Hayne in the side anything can happen.

I don't think they will be top four, that is the most unlikely thing I could see happening in 2011. I said that merely to express the point that they are very unpredictable.

last time I tipped the Eels for the spoon they made the GF. So, I'm not so sure. Last year they were a mess. Nuffy halves whose gameplan consisted of 'give the ball to Hayne'. Was shut down very early in the season and they never recovered. I don't think Kearney will have them playing the same type of football - if he does his NRL coaching career is dead before it has started. But Kearney seems a reasonably switched on coach, I think Parra will suprise this year. Fringe top 8 somewhere.

I agree. From what we have heard it sounds like Kearney wants us to play a far more structured style, with Hayne playing a more traditional fullbacks' role and with the team using a style that suits our halves strengths. To me it sounds like Kearney is trying to mold them into a Dragons or Storm style side.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
"The eels aren't unpredictable"
Alright then;
2009: picked for the wooden spoon by many, ended up being grand finalists.
2010: listed by many as the premiership favourites, don't even make the top eight.

If that isn't unpredictable then I don't know what is.
They have recruited badly in comparison to most other teams, but in saying that they have the best young coach in the game (arguably) who from all reports has broken down the lazy and soft core that has been haunting them for years, and with Hayne in the side anything can happen.

I don't think they will be top four, that is the most unlikely thing I could see happening in 2011. I said that merely to express the point that they are very unpredictable.

I agree. From what we have heard it sounds like Kearney wants us to play a far more structured style, with Hayne playing a more traditional fullbacks' role and with the team using a style that suits our halves strengths. To me it sounds like Kearney is trying to mold them into a Dragons or Storm style side.

I'd really like Kearney to succeed. The signing of Paul Wahuira has me confused. I cannot see what he brings. I'll admit - I don't follow ESL and so do not know what Hicks's form is like. But Chris Walker, Carl Webb and Paul Whatuira are yesterday's news. Many yesterday's when they had a few bright spots.

Any Queensland fan knows the frustration that Walker and Webb come with. Walker no longer has the electric pace and I'm not sure Webb has the desire to train for a whole season, let alone the fight to hold onto the ball.

However, its not that it hard to predict Parra - its hard to predict to any side. Its no longer a matter of who will make the 8 - but who to leave out. Can anyone leave out the Broncos from the top 8, or Souths? Or the Dogs?

This is why I love the NRL over all other competitions. Every new season is a lottery. None of this EPL only 3 teams in it crap. Fans of supposedly weak clubs of recent times, Souths, Warriors, Cowboys, Sharks, Penrith know that before too many years that they will have another year close to the spotlights of post season.

BunniesMan

Immortal
last time I tipped the Eels for the spoon they made the GF. So, I'm not so sure. Last year they were a mess. Nuffy halves whose gameplan consisted of 'give the ball to Hayne'. Was shut down very early in the season and they never recovered. I don't think Kearney will have them playing the same type of football - if he does his NRL coaching career is dead before it has started. But Kearney seems a reasonably switched on coach, I think Parra will suprise this year. Fringe top 8 somewhere.
And this year's roster is inferior. Hayne is a special player but he'll have to carry this team even more than he had to carry the 2010 team. Just can't see them being even close to the top half of the table. And Kearney might bring long term success to the team, but there's not much he can do this year with what really is a poor squad.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
And this year's roster is inferior. Hayne is a special player but he'll have to carry this team even more than he had to carry the 2010 team. Just can't see them being even close to the top half of the table. And Kearney might bring long term success to the team, but there's not much he can do this year with what really is a poor squad.

Which is the focus. The signings of Webb, Hicks, Whatuira, etc. Most are 1 year deals. A couple of them two. They aren't here to win us a comp. The main plan I think its to just get us along this year, reward those who do well and clean out the dead, lazy wood. We are hoping to secure some major signings for 2012 and word is Stephen Kearney is already starting negotiations for the 2012 roster.

boxhead

First Grade
I'd really like Kearney to succeed. The signing of Paul Wahuira has me confused. I cannot see what he brings. I'll admit - I don't follow ESL and so do not know what Hicks's form is like. But Chris Walker, Carl Webb and Paul Whatuira are yesterday's news. Many yesterday's when they had a few bright spots.

Any Queensland fan knows the frustration that Walker and Webb come with. Walker no longer has the electric pace and I'm not sure Webb has the desire to train for a whole season, let alone the fight to hold onto the ball.

However, its not that it hard to predict Parra - its hard to predict to any side. Its no longer a matter of who will make the 8 - but who to leave out. Can anyone leave out the Broncos from the top 8, or Souths? Or the Dogs?

This is why I love the NRL over all other competitions. Every new season is a lottery. None of this EPL only 3 teams in it crap. Fans of supposedly weak clubs of recent times, Souths, Warriors, Cowboys, Sharks, Penrith know that before too many years that they will have another year close to the spotlights of post season.

On Chris Hicks, apparently in the ESL he has scored nearly a try a game or something, which at his age is a very good sign for us (hopefully).

I do agree with you, and that's what I love about the NRL too; every single team can challenge for the premiership.

Noa

First Grade

My team may not be as shown here...but the support for the dogs, shows up those not in the know.

Mr Angry, did you or did you not approximately 1 year ago, declare the sharks to be certainties to make the eight, or something along those lines ?
Remember Mr Angry, you are under oath.

Btw it was obviously gaba who won the 40k when the storm got done in april, he knew theyd get the spoon.........what a douche

Pete Cash

Post Whore
the salary cap auditors better get ready because there must be a lot of cheating going on if THAT many sides are going to end up not playing for points.

Raider_69

Post Whore

Must admit, i rated their off season work but looking at the squad named above, it looks very average. Hardly top 8 let alone premiership contenders

MatthewA

Juniors

I wouldn't take any notice of the posts by Moffo. Just silly off-season stuff. The team he named probably won't even look like the one we field.

But I'm not surprised we are mentioned. We have a strong coach and a very strong squad with lots of depth.

Fair enough, the back line is a bit on the younger side but it's chock full of talent. The forward pack is excellent. Eastwood is one of the best forwards going around, Tolman is arguably the best young prop in the NRL, Pritchard needed a club change to relish and I hope that he does, Ryan is always great and Stagg is the best defensive lock in the world.

The bench has the potential to have a hell of a lot of impact with possibly Idris, Eastwood, Paea and Keating/Roberts coming off the bench and again, depth is very strong.

I can't find a spot in my side for guys like Armit, Hodgson, Halatau, Millington, Lett, Romelo or Payne just to name a few.

I don't think we are at all a show in for the title or even a top 4 finish but to say we have a mediocre team, a poor coach, an average side and all the rest that some people have been shouting around is ridiculous.

Just one last thing on Moore - He took the side which he had rebuilt in one off season to should-have-been-Minor Premiers (thanks Clarkey), won coach of the year and handled everything perfectly. Then comes 2010 when the club had to use the most players in the comp, more so than any other team because of injury.

Granted we can remain above the line for injuries I think we will finish top 6. People love to jump on a side when they've had a poor previous year.

We have a strong coach and a very strong squad with lots of depth.

Disagree

Eastwood is one of the best forwards going around.

Eastwood is in the top ten forwards in the world at the moment. However, off the top of my head I'd have Burgess, Ellis, Lewis and Thaiday ahead of him. There's probably a few more that I'm not bothered to think of at the moment.

Tolman is arguably the best young prop in the NRL.

Based on playing under Bellamy, who has made a lot of average forwards look a lot better than they really are. I have severe reservations that Moore can bring the same out of him

Pritchard needed a club change to relish and I hope that he does, Ryan is always great and Stagg is the best defensive lock in the world
There's every possibility Pritchard will continue to be inconsistent. Ryan should have retire two years ago. Stagg is extremely one-dimenesional

I can't find a spot in my side for guys like Armit, Hodgson, Halatau, Millington, Lett, Romelo or Payne just to name a few.

I doubt many other first grade sides could currently find a spot in their top 17 for many of these players :lol: Maybe Lett.

Just one last thing on Moore - He took the side which he had rebuilt in one off season to should-have-been-Minor Premiers (thanks Clarkey), won coach of the year and handled everything perfectly. Then comes 2010 when the club had to use the most players in the comp, more so than any other team because of injury.

Dally M awards are clearly the benchmark for coaching prowess :sarcasm: Truth be told I thought that the Dogs drastically overachieved that season, and last season proved that.

Truth be told I think your halves are terrible and your forward pack apart from Eastwood far from threatening. Morris and Barba are your only backs with any bit of class, but even then Barba will need to back it up in his second year.

MatthewA

Juniors
We could go back and forth all night but there's no point. Each to their own.

We will see in just under a years time, ey?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
About time Eastwood got this level of recognition and received these accolades. That man is a machine.

Seriously - Doggies season comes down solely to your halves. If they can direct your attacking lines, the dogs have a sniff of a couple week of post season. Not serious contenders to win premiership at this stage in my opinion unless the halves really surprise us all.

dannyboy

Juniors
About time Eastwood got this level of recognition and received these accolades. That man is a machine.

Seriously - Doggies season comes down solely to your halves. If they can direct your attacking lines, the dogs have a sniff of a couple week of post season. Not serious contenders to win premiership at this stage in my opinion unless the halves really surprise us all.

Surely they also need a union inspired/coached 'round the corner kicker too

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I wouldn't take any notice of the posts by Moffo. Just silly off-season stuff. The team he named probably won't even look like the one we field.

But I'm not surprised we are mentioned. We have a strong coach and a very strong squad with lots of depth.

Fair enough, the back line is a bit on the younger side but it's chock full of talent. The forward pack is excellent. Eastwood is one of the best forwards going around, Tolman is arguably the best young prop in the NRL, Pritchard needed a club change to relish and I hope that he does, Ryan is always great and Stagg is the best defensive lock in the world.

The bench has the potential to have a hell of a lot of impact with possibly Idris, Eastwood, Paea and Keating/Roberts coming off the bench and again, depth is very strong.

I don't think we are at all a show in for the title or even a top 4 finish but to say we have a mediocre team, a poor coach, an average side and all the rest that some people have been shouting around is ridiculous.

Granted we can remain above the line for injuries I think we will finish top 6. People love to jump on a side when they've had a poor previous year.

I :lol::lol::lol:.

Thats because, with exception of Millington, they are not regular first graders.

Latest posts