What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Dunno...maybe its John Gray or Crossan or Ridge or some ex kiwi ra ra from 1961...aren't they the super brains that revolutionised kicking in Australia

If you were attempting to make a point then selecting a kicker coached by Kiwi union convert Daryl Halligan is a very, very bad place to start Dannyboy.

Thankyou, come again.

BunniesMan

Immortal
haters gonna hate
That's BunniesMan's motto! Lots of people hate on BunniesMan because BunniesMan is so awesome, but then some people (especially attractive females) sing "you're so fine you're so fine you blow my mind" everytime BunniesMan walks into the room so it evens out.

Big Pete

Referee
I have big question marks on Barba at fullback, I think he's lethal on his day but how many times have we seen this type of move inevitably backfire on a coach? At least three from memory last season.

I also have my doubts whether Moore can do much with this squad. He did have a fantastic 2009 but I always felt he benefitted from signing a host of Broncos players who brought Bennett's professional brand of footy down south. Combined with old heads like Kimmorley and some fresh young faces in Morris, Idris and Goodwin the Dogs were always bound to improve.

In comparison they've brought in a lot of fresh faced guys just starting their career as well as Cranky Franky who's form is like a yo-yo. The only purchase I truly rate is Eastwood's and even then I don't think he's enough to save them.

Then again, I do rate the juniors they've signed and if Moore can get the most out of them, they'll definitely place close to the top 4.

Doga

Juniors
I have big question marks on Barba at fullback, I think he's lethal on his day but how many times have we seen this type of move inevitably backfire on a coach? At least three from memory last season.

I also have my doubts whether Moore can do much with this squad. He did have a fantastic 2009 but I always felt he benefitted from signing a host of Broncos players who brought Bennett's professional brand of footy down south. Combined with old heads like Kimmorley and some fresh young faces in Morris, Idris and Goodwin the Dogs were always bound to improve.

In comparison they've brought in a lot of fresh faced guys just starting their career as well as Cranky Franky who's form is like a yo-yo. The only purchase I truly rate is Eastwood's and even then I don't think he's enough to save them.

Then again, I do rate the juniors they've signed and if Moore can get the most out of them, they'll definitely place close to the top 4.

Good post. Although I think The Bulldogs 2009 was down to more than what you put it down to. Either way, we will learn about Moore's coaching credentials in 2011.

I would like to see this year mostly used to blood our youngsters. We have some outstanding juniors (Martin Taupau, Sam Kasiano, Tim Browne, Jake Foster, Aidan Sezar to name a few) and some of those should have got a few games when our season was all but over last year If we can get these kids up to scratch then we will dominate 2012.

Big Pete

Referee
I certainly think they laid the platform to give the likes of Kimmorley and co. the room to move, not to mention I thought Ennis much like he was at the Broncos in 2008 was the driving force for the Dogs in 2009.

Definitely rate Taupau, Sezar and Kasiano, the rest would be decent for depth purposes.

MatthewA

Juniors

Good post, as Doga said. But I don't think you rate Moore highly enough. The bloke has been around a hell of a long time and is a pure bred Bulldog. He's been with us through the 2004 premiership, was in the NSW camp and if memory serves me correctly was also with Australia at one stage.

He's only been at it for 2 years and had a shocker of a year last year with the injuries he had to deal with. He's played as big a role as any in our excellent recruitment over the past couple of years as well as rebuilding the club with Greenberg. He should have a very steady 2011 because he knows he has to perform. He's no slouch.

Noa

First Grade
I dont think you can blame injuries for last year, you were ordinary from rnd 1.

Big Pete

Referee
Aiden Tolman is going to be the buy of the season IMO

Tolman is awesome, really hope he steps up like I think he will, before his injury I had him, Hannant and Weyman as the best props in the game.

Matt - Those associations shouldn't come into the mix. when I'm purely judging him as a head coach.

Every side was affected by injuries last season, the difference is Moore couldn't save them.

Doga

Juniors
I certainly think they laid the platform to give the likes of Kimmorley and co. the room to move, not to mention I thought Ennis much like he was at the Broncos in 2008 was the driving force for the Dogs in 2009.

Definitely rate Taupau, Sezar and Kasiano, the rest would be decent for depth purposes.

Jake Foster played one game off the bench last year. Think it was against the Panthers. Lets just say that he shone so brightly that he was moved straight into the Starting line up.

Unfortunately he copped a season ending injury in training that week. I am expecting Jake Foster to have a big year and push more established second rowers out of their spot.

Certainly one to watch!!!

I dont think you can blame injuries for last year, you were ordinary from rnd 1.

Bulldogs started the year on the back foot with injuries actually and kept copping it throughout.

Spoke with a few of the staff at the Doggies at a coaches event and the whole Hannant thing was also unsettling for the players. A good majority of the players disliked Hannant and did not want him in the team.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The only genuine title threat is St George-Illawarra with Wests and Easts a way behind before they can prove their claims. The others aren't worth considering till they've made the GF.

Spot On

Coach
It's easy to say at the moment, but the Dogs squad doesn't inspire much confidence. The bench they carried last year was ordinary. J. Morris saw little ball most weeks. Ben Roberts was bloody horrible. Ennis is a Jekyl and Hyde player - good one week and f**ken horrible the next. I like Tolman though. Great buy. Eastwood was good before he left. A couple of positives there. The rest of the pack are ordinary. Who knows what the halves will be like. Barber looks like he will develop into a great attacking player but is a very, very poor defender. Where does he play? What will they do with idris??? Centre or second row??? They will do well to make the eight with that squad.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Tolman is awesome, really hope he steps up like I think he will, before his injury I had him, Hannant and Weyman as the best props in the game.
So all this time you been playin devils advocate on me? Ya bastard. I used my best sales pitch too and all this time you knew you were going to buy it before you walked in.