What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the genuine title threats for this year?

adamkungl

Immortal
adamkungl,
Reading all your comments in this thread you are predicting every team to do well. Fence sitting can be a pain in the backside.
:D:D:D

lolwut, i've posted like 4 times in this thread, and my predictions have been
-Roosters will win the comp
-Parra won't suck as much
-Sharks won't suck as much

Ulysseus

Bench
Cronulla has an excellent starting pack, and a good fullback. Tim Smith is...lets say enigmatic :lol: and Wade Graham has potential but is unproven. Their biggest problems are their backs are either old, not worth feeding, or both (Gardner excepted). Pomeroy is a woeful centre, for their sake I hope he doesn't go near the 3 or 4 jersey next year. And they are pretty lacking depth wise.

Imo a good run with injuries and unearthing a good young winger would put the Sharks fringe top 8. A bad run with injuries and they could be challenging for the spoon again. I don't think they will come last.

Agree with the Pomeroy comment to a degree, I haven't watched him play that much, but watching a game on Fox I heard a comment come through the microphone of "you are f**king sh*t Pomeroy!" as clear as a bell.

MatthewA

Juniors
Mate that's rubbish when he's giving players only one game and then plonking them back never to be seen again eg. Heka Nanai, Danny Williams, Martin Taupau and Corey Payne who was brought back for the final game for absolutely no reason.

I'm not even mentioning the likes of Junior Tia Kilifi, Shane Neuman, Brad Morrin, Tim Browne, Dene Halatau who were chopped and changed as well as Romelo and Winitana who suffered season ending injuries for bugger all games (big losses!).

The point is, yes the Dogs had injuries but your measure of 'well we used the most players so obviously we had the most injuries' is flawed. Truth is, you had crap depth and those injuries struck a lot of those players.

I mean it's funny to hear a Doggies fan b***t about injuries when you have a team like the Warriors and Sea Eagles, teams who lost quality players through out the season, just carry on and win the comp.

Also looking at Foster's stats has reminded me - what was so special about him again? 65m off 10 hit ups is hardly the thing of legend.
Nanai was there for 1 game before being injured. Plus he wasn't needed again anyway. Williams was another fill in off the bench because guys like Hannant, Paea, Armit, Browne and Foster picked up injuries.

Same goes for Taupau who came in when we had no forwards and for mine was given his debut too early. Payne was injured all year up until the last couple of rounds and was brought in for the last round due to another injury (Can't remember who but I think it might have been Browne again who picked up a couple through the year).

Shows how much you know when you keep mentioning players who were injured.. Halatau was picked when he was available, apart from coming back in NSW Cup for fitness. He came back and then was injured pretty much straight away again. Tia-Kilifi and Neumann were again fill ins for injuries to Morris, Goodwin and when Idris was moved to the forwards/missing for Origin. Winitana was injured in his second top grade game filling in for another injured player in Turner (dislocated elbow) and Romelo was on the bench before a season ender.

You make out as if players were fully fit, no one went down and Moore was just chucking and dropping players as he pleased when he pleased.. I can't remember one demotion/promotion simply for the sake of it.

Also on Foster, how many times have you seen him player? How can you judge him on one top grade match and one set of stats. How moronic and childish. He is a gun of a player, he really is. In his first and only match he came off the bench and made the 65 metered from 10 runs as you mentioned.

But what you didn't mention was that he did that in just 35 minutes, as well as having a line break, 2 line break assists, 3 tackle busts, 15 tackles and 2 offloads.. Deemed so good in fact that he was promoted to starting second row but did his shoulder in training that week and needed an op.

Noname36

First Grade
This from a Newcastle Knights supporter.

:lol:

I really think we'll see a lot of improvement from the Sharks this year (I'm hoping we will anyway). But honestly, although the pack is great, they're really lacking in every other position (except fullback). They're on the right track though, and I think the days of the "easy beat Sharks" are well and truly over. Newcastle have issues too (well one issue but it's a huge one - lack of a quality prop) but that's another matter entirely.

Big Pete

Referee
Nanai was there for 1 game before being injured. Plus he wasn't needed again anyway.

Thank you for aiding my chopping and changing argument.

Oh and he didn't suffer a season long injury either, he was back for ages biding his time in NSW Cup when players like Tia Kilifi were getting spots ahead of him.

Williams was another fill in off the bench because guys like Hannant, Paea, Armit, Browne and Foster picked up injuries.

Wrong.

Williams played round 4.

3 of those players were available.

Same goes for Taupau who came in when we had no forwards and for mine was given his debut too early.

Thank you for once again proving my point on chopping and changing re: bringing in a guy too early.

Hannant, Armit, Browne, Foster and even Williams who played the game before were all available.

Payne was injured all year up until the last couple of rounds and was brought in for the last round due to another injury (Can't remember who but I think it might have been Browne again who picked up a couple through the year).

Hodgson and Idris but you had Neumann, Rauicava, Browne, Gordon and Williams all available. Payne was simply a novelty.

Halatau was picked when he was available

My bad on Dene, I thought I had included him with Romelo, I did remember him being injured but there were times he was overlooked for another player to stake their claim.

You make out as if players were fully fit, no one went down and Moore was just chucking and dropping players as he pleased when he pleased.. I can't remember one demotion/promotion simply for the sake of it.

Yet you named Taupau and Nanai. A lot of the times players who had played before could have played again but Moore looked at another option.

Also on Foster, how many times have you seen him player? How can you judge him on one top grade match and one set of stats. How moronic and childish. He is a gun of a player, he really is. In his first and only match he came off the bench and made the 65 metered from 10 runs as you mentioned.

But what you didn't mention was that he did that in just 35 minutes, as well as having a line break, 2 line break assists, 3 tackle busts, 15 tackles and 2 offloads.. Deemed so good in fact that he was promoted to starting second row but did his shoulder in training that week and needed an op.

Oh wow he was promoted to a run on spot for the team that ran 13th, s**t must be awesome.

Obviously I haven't seen that much but I don't recall him being THAT great. He may of played well, but it wasn't that long ago a lot of you Doggies fans were trumpeting Danny Williams as your saviour and sprouting phrases such as Willie who? Before he reminded you of who he was when he stampled over your side in 2008.

But true I haven't seen much, I just have my doubts. Doubts I don't have with Taupau or Kasiano.

Look you're going to get lost in all this and argue the toss in every section but here's the point. Moore CHOSE to play other players and to extend his list of players played because he could, not because he was forced.

The Dogs simply didn't have the depth, oh that and Patten, Kimmorley and Ryan were past it. That and Turner/Idris were exposed a s**t load of times in d.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Costigan should play prop IMO. He was fantastic for Saints in the 2nd half of the season. But no matter where he plays, he's a great buy for them.

Big Pete

Referee
I have my doubts about Costo, has a lot of talent but consistensy has always let him down.

Will be very interesting to see how he goes with Stone.

perverse

Referee
Costigan should play prop IMO. He was fantastic for Saints in the 2nd half of the season. But no matter where he plays, he's a great buy for them.
He'll be playing prop, or a very similar role in a team in the middle of the field when we're at full strength, for sure. We have too much talent out wide. If Stone doesn't see that yet (I'm sure he does, it seems to be by design), he will once Kyle O'Donnell is bashing the door down for selection. Zeb Taia - who has a mortgage on one side, Chris Houston, Cory Paterson - likely to stay on the bench long term, Kyle O'Donnell... there's really nowhere for Costigan to be except in the middle. When you rattle off the props in our top 17, it certainly doesn't read as well as the back row.

Given that we'll see injuries in the front at back rows at some stage, I would say Houston and Costigan will have stints in the front row at times... but I don't think it will be our ideal scenario. I am, of course, assuming that Kyle O'Donnell is going to live up to his wraps... but I'm backing him 100%.

The recruit I have the biggest question mark over, yet also somehow the biggest expectation for, is the other bloke we grabbed off you guys, Beau Henry. I guess the question mark is there because he's playing in a typically very difficult position to warm to in first grade (especially when you don't have a good front row), and he's coming off long term shoulder troubles and missing his first pre-season as a result of it. It's a lot to ask of him to come into that under those conditions and shine. The reality is that all we really need out of him is to be better than Scott Dureau and more consistent than Ben Rogers. If he can provide that I will be stoked, and the Knights will be able to join the illustrious company of clubs that have a solid or better halves pairing. With Gidley and De Gois it would give us a full quality spine - something we haven't had for 11 years, not that it mattered when Joey was fit.

So yeah, I think those that look a little harder will see that the Knights squad has actually improved very significantly from 2010->2011. I personally think this is comfortably the best squad of players we've had since Johns' retirement. I'm not predicting the world from them, faults still exist for sure, but there is a lot of reason to be optimistic too.

watatank

Coach
call me crazy but I reckon Sharks fans can be optimistic about their year...don't get me wrong, there's more question marks on them than anyone else but they have the capacity to improve very quickly, if luck is on their side.

they're not a team that will get beaten up the middle with the strength of their pack...going through their backline they have a gun fullback, two experienced centres and a couple of young, talented wingers looking for an opportunity (Williams might start the season there though). The halves have a lot to prove but the talent is there. Graham was pretty much rated the best half coming through his age and he'll have a chance to run the team, Kelly was rated highly as well and Smith hasn't played well for a long time but he's still young enough and talented enough to turn that around.

add to that a new coach, pretty much no one expects them to do anything and they can surprise.

their other problem is depth but again, if injuries are kind maybe they won't have to draw on them too much.

perverse

Referee
Their depth will certainly be amongst their bigger problems. not many teams get an easy run with injuries through an NRL season. Their starting pack is great, but have they improved their bench?

They do have a lot of young backs, but i think that's half their problem. Where are the old heads to lead those young kids around? Gall will bang it up the guts and keep the forwards revved... but who is there take care of the backs on the park?

They could surprise, any team could surprise. Put it this way, I rate them less of a chance to surprise than most teams, and I guess most people do with fair reason. The problem with them is they were hopeless last year, and you can't really look at the squad and see much improvement aside from Graham for 2011.

perverse

Referee
I have my doubts about Costo, has a lot of talent but consistensy has always let him down.

Will be very interesting to see how he goes with Stone.
He could be the buy of the season or a flop, or anything in between. We're not foreign to dud signings at the Knights by any stretch of the imagination, but we signed Costigan up for an absolute steal. it was reported as a deal worth "more than $650k for 3 years", so you'd have to say around $220k a year for a current origin rep. Fortunately if he turns out to be a dud, he won't be too costly a dud. Stone is still a largely unknown quantity, but i'm optimistic about where we are headed on-field. off-field is another matter entirely.

KiamaSaint

Coach
call me crazy but I reckon Sharks fans can be optimistic about their year...don't get me wrong, there's more question marks on them than anyone else but they have the capacity to improve very quickly, if luck is on their side.

They need a good season, their existence is on the line if they don't.

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
i agree Pete, the Titans look the most likely to fall from the pack. as has been said, they've got a lot of old boys around and i don't see any obvious plans in place to compensate for their aging/retirement.

you can never tell pre-season with the Tigers, but they do have the personnel to get the job done. i'd tip them to be top 4 before i would tip them bottom 4, but they are probably capable of either, depending on circumstance.

Manly could go either way, but i think 2011 will be a pretty quiet year from them and they'll be back with a vengeance in 2012. Snake will take a while to get back in the swing, Daly Cherry Evans may or may not be a success.

i expect the Bunnies to be strong, but continue to be fickle in the head. will get beaten by more committed teams when the chips are down. not much to say about their squad, it looks awesome on paper. i hope they have Inglis on the treadmill.

The Raiders will be a bigger, more significant force this year. Orford will be huge for them... with Campese to be the biggest benefactor. their pack is big, mean and effective. their backs are young, quick and exciting. i still rate Waddell that highly, but the other 3 in their spine will more than compensate for any deficiency there. i think these guys are one of the title threats in 2011.

there will be some surprises from the bottom of the ladder for sure at the expense of the teams that do drop. massive question marks over NQ... but i just get this feeling that Thurston will have a healthy year and with some fresh blood around the place they might just surprise everyone - myself included as i don't rate their squad... i just think there's too many question marks there to discount them as a potential smokey for the 8. like manly, it may be a year too early for them yet.

*warning - biased content below*

i honestly expect the Knights to not only improve on their 2010 form, but their 2009 form too. i think most Knights fans will be perfectly satisfied with a drama free year, and to be honest i think the football team will feed off that if it can be achieved. from coach merry-go-rounds to community/player drama to drug scandels... we haven't had a settled year since Joey left. i think we're a quality prop off from being a genuine threat to anyone... but that is certainly all we need. gun back line, very good second row with more superb prospects in the lower grades waiting for a crack - expect Kyle O'Donnell to go close to rookie of the year (much to the dismay of sharks fans). the halves are our biggest question mark. Mullen is amazing when he has backup. the Knights will be needing Beau Henry to be as good as he can be. Ben Rogers is an adequate back up, mind you... and when you forgive him for his occasional brain snaps he's a very lethal player (and one of the better defensive halves comp wide, i would wager). more than that, though, is that the opposition do have to keep their eyes on Rogers, which frees Mullen up a bit more. either way, i don't know how anyone could look at the Knights squad and say spoon. i don't see it.

*end of biased content*

Cronulla... poor Cronulla. they couldn't possibly get worse could they? i find it hard to see where any joy in their future is going to come from. they just look a mess.

lots of talk both ways on the Dogs. i can't really make my mind up. i think they've got a forward pack that can go places, and enough in their backline to score points too. their halves will be their biggest enemy. i think Barba will warm to the first grade fullback role eventually. if not, they'll find a spot for him somewhere i'm sure. if roberts can re-produce his early form last year consistently then i don't see why they can't make the 8.

The Roosters - there is no reason why they can't be just as good this year... but Brian Smith can be such an enigma sometimes. still, i don't see them missing the 8 barring injuries to their main go-forward guys or their halves. Martin Kennedy might end up starting this year, really rate that kid.

The Storm need to wrap Slater, Smith and Cronk in cotton wool. they have a lot of young kids and castaways down there now. losing one of their top 3 for an extended period will hurt them badly. losing 2 would be catastrophic. there's a strong possibility they could have a lean year.

there isn't much to like about the Eels, really. much like the Tigers they're nearly impossible to predict. Hayne will probably win them some games, though. can't see them making the 8... and they're one of my favourites for the spoon. Justin Poore will be looking to step up and have a really big season. i just can't see them gelling this year.

the Warriors... god this team annoys me. i have a real soft spot for them and really like seeing them do well. most years they look really bloody strong in the off season, too. sadly, most years they just find new ways to underperform. every time i've tipped the Warriors for a big year (on the back of a very strong previous year) they have fallen in a heap. i think i'm gonna hedge on this one and say they'll be on the fringe of the 8. it wouldn't surprise me if they had a really disappointing year, but i really hope they fulfil a bit of their squads potential and step up with a bigger year than last year.

how about the Broncos? i'm really not in touch with what is going on up there aside from the city being underwater. i assume Hodges will make his way back, but you'd have to think after a long layoff he will take a fair bit of time to hit his strides. they have a lot of young, promising players... and they are the Broncos. they won't go anywhere near the spoon... and the funny thing about adversity off the field is that it can either send you to sh*t on the field, or it can steel your team and really give them purpose. i could easily see the Broncos coming out in 2011 and riding the wave of emotion from the recent floods, for at least a while. look at what the Knights did in '97 when BHP shut down and Newcastle was in turmoil. i can find a spot for them in my top 8 without a worry.

Penrith... i just don't like the look of Penrith. Walsh is bound to be exposed as a hack eventually... surely some coach in the NRL will find an effective means of shutting down the Panthers kicking game. they'll need to go right back to the drawing board if/when that happens. Petero is aging and slowing. i'll be interested to see the makeup of their outside backs... but i just don't like the look of their halves. i see them missing the 8, and potentially by a margin.

last but certainly not least, the Premiers - St. George Illawarra - will put up a very good defence of their title. they will continue to bore us with their football and their fans will continue not to care as it reaps results for them. i look forward to watching Kyle Stanley blossom in first grade. they can cover the players they lost without too much fuss. they will be there or there abouts next year, and skate into the 8 blindfolded.

wow... this one started as a small response to Pete... but there you go, that's where i feel everyone is currently at. i'm really starting to itch for the footy to start... not long now...

tl;dr: some teams will go well, others not so much, Knights will be much better than you expect.

Very good post mate. I agree with just about everything you've put down here. Saved me writing it.

Kudos.

carcharias

Immortal
They need a bank who wont tell them to f**k off and a fat loan

You obviously haven't heard what is going on?

Sharks members will vote in a few weeks...it will be unaminous.IMO.

Sharks will be more than safe. If all goes remotely to plan, in 10 years they will potentially be the biggest club in Sydney .

You may laugh now.

Look at the rabbitohs 10 years ago compared to now.

Hutty1986

Immortal
You obviously haven't heard what is going on?

Sharks members will vote in a few weeks...it will be unaminous.IMO.

Sharks will be more than safe. If all goes remotely to plan, in 10 years they will potentially be the biggest club in Sydney .

You may laugh now.

Look at the rabbitohs 10 years ago compared to now.

No.

CMUX

You know every year we expect something big to happen with a prelim finalist only to see them fall.

For example...

2010: Parramatta and Canterbury
2009: Warriors and Cronulla
2008: North Queensland and Parramatta
2007: Canterbury and Brisbane
2006: Parramatta and Wests
2005: Canterbury, Sydney and Penrith

etc.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a team like the Tigers disappoint everybody or even the Chooks.

I basically have the Gold Coast pencilled in as the second team at this point to fade away.

I agree Pete, there always seems to be a high turnover of finalists from the year before. Personally, I see no reason why the roosters/tigers won’t make the 8 (anything is possible though) and the Dragons are too well drilled not to make the 8.

However, I do think we will see 2 of last year’s top 4 miss the 8 altogether (Penrith/Titans). On top of that, there seems to be 3-4 teams from the previous year’s top 8 who don’t make it and I think you can increase that to 4-5 given the Strom situation form last year. So I also look for 2 or 3 sides from the bottom half of the 8 last year not to make it. I look for Manly to be one of those teams.

That leaves Canberra and the Warriors. I think there might only be room for one of these teams next year given a possible slow start by the raiders and the always unpredictable Warriors.

Latest posts