What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Big Marn

Juniors
i think we are short a quality prop. BMM might have done the job in 2019 but these rule changes have maded the game too fast for him now. Hes good for 10mins either side of halftime then he runs out of steam plus his tackling technique is going to get him in trouble more often than not. JTB hasnt come on and Bunty is ok as a bench prop. So we need to get someone else. Leeson is a good bench prop but not a starter anymore.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
i think we are short a quality prop. BMM might have done the job in 2019 but these rule changes have maded the game too fast for him now. Hes good for 10mins either side of halftime then he runs out of steam plus his tackling technique is going to get him in trouble more often than not. JTB hasnt come on and Bunty is ok as a bench prop. So we need to get someone else. Leeson is a good bench prop but not a starter anymore.
Yip, agree fully.

In a perfect world Tohu and Curran play 80, Katoa and BMM share 80 between them, we have two props on the bench and then a utility to fill in hooker/x factor where needed.

But we have Jazz instead lol

Matua

Bench
What about Danny Levi as a back-up hooker?
Does he have the right background to be a Warrior? Is he family or friends of Sullivan? Off field trouble with the law? Australian?

On a more serious note, I'd take him and give him a chance to oust the overhyped Egan as number 1 hooker.

Big Marn

Juniors
Does he have the right background to be a Warrior? Is he family or friends of Sullivan? Off field trouble with the law? Australian?

On a more serious note, I'd take him and give him a chance to oust the overhyped Egan as number 1 hooker.
How about Curran to hooker. Hes got fish for hands when it comes to catching the ball so maybe he will be better at dummy half when the ball is already on the ground. He is already doing the tackling numbers that are required

Matua

Bench
How about Curran to hooker. Hes got fish for hands when it comes to catching the ball so maybe he will be better at dummy half when the ball is already on the ground. He is already doing the tackling numbers that are required
The old Richard Swain style of hooker.

jaseg

Juniors
I know you like your Kiwis Matua, but Levi isn't it. He's the guy who is good in reserve grade but can't step up - he's had over 100 NRL games. If he was going to make the transition, it would've happened by now. I'd give other reserve graders playing well a look before him.

Jayden Berrell at Wynnum Manly (former Broncos jnr) stands out to me. I was going to suggest Aaron Booth but I see the Storm re-signed him - he was the guy that flagged up similarly a couple of years ago (actually better, Berrell is not the same prospect - arguably slower development curve but without the major injury excuses Booth had). Berrell has been limiting Issac Luke to ~30 mins off the bench in Qcup this year, for whatever that's worth.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Brown ran Levi out of Newcastle so no chance there. Hasler saw enough after 1 year to take a gamble on Croker

I liked him but he was limited and a poor option taker at times

Matua

Bench
I know you like your Kiwis Matua, but Levi isn't it. He's the guy who is good in reserve grade but can't step up - he's had over 100 NRL games. If he was going to make the transition, it would've happened by now. I'd give other reserve graders playing well a look before him.

Jayden Berrell at Wynnum Manly (former Broncos jnr) stands out to me. I was going to suggest Aaron Booth but I see the Storm re-signed him - he was the guy that flagged up similarly a couple of years ago (actually better, Berrell is not the same prospect - arguably slower development curve but without the major injury excuses Booth had). Berrell has been limiting Issac Luke to ~30 mins off the bench in Qcup this year, for whatever that's worth.
Never really suggested he was, but neither is Egan. So six of one, half dozen of another.

Berrell might be in the hot seat, as a Bronco he's no doubt related to, or friends with, or walked past Sullivan at some stage.

JJ

Immortal
Never really suggested he was, but neither is Egan. So six of one, half dozen of another.

Berrell might be in the hot seat, as a Bronco he's no doubt related to, or friends with, or walked past Sullivan at some stage.
Sorry but I call bullshit, Egan is much much better than Levi

Matua

Bench
Sorry but I call bullshit, Egan is much much better than Levi
TBH, I haven't seen Levi play in years. But Egan hasn't come close to the fluffing that some gave him on here when he signed. Bog standard average.

jaseg

Juniors
Egan is... fine. Going through starting hookers this year (obviously this rules out several guys who would be above him, as they haven't been the main starter or just injured/unavailable this year), he's somewhere in the middle. Doesn't create a lot, doesn't run a lot - but his service and defence is of generally good quality, and he rarely gives away errors and penalties.

I doubt there's an experienced hooker upgrade coming - it's going to be up to Otukolo (and Kalepo still, if he can develop after being overtaken) to push Egan out. There just aren't that many outstanding hookers around.

Reactions: JJ

TheDMC

Bench
I feel sorry for St George, they were so excited by the one point win, they really had to celebrate