What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who burnt down Cumberland Oval - Was it you ?

Quigs

Immortal
I remember seeing the news footage/film of Cumberland Oval Burning after the historic Eels first ever Grand final victory.

Where you there?

Do you remember the incident?

I am chasing punters stories and memories about the day and subsequent hot old night in Parra Town.

Ive also posted a thread about some all time great Eels players earlier.

I need your stories for my website. Era of the Biff.

Drop bye and say Hi.

Cheers
Quigs.

Quigs

Immortal
Parra_Boy said:
I wasnt part of it but my aunty has a chair she took from it.

Gidday Parra Boy,

Thanks for your interests.... hey, can you get "aunty" to tell her story or invite her to visit www.eraofthebiff.com have a look around and then share her story with us all...... mate it is the stuff of folklore....

Cheers
Quigs

sportive cupid

Referee
I was there that night .I know some ppl who were directly involved in the burning,but I was safe in the Leagues Club with a birds eye view from the bistro(or sportsman lounge)

sportive cupid said:
I was there that night .I know some ppl who were directly involved in the burning,but I was safe in the Leagues Club with a birds eye view from the bistro(or sportsman lounge)

Where were the players by that stage?

Quigs

Immortal
sportive cupid said:

Gidday Sportive,

Why dont you email me with your memories about your day at the GF and your memories and what others told you about the big burn. Honestly I'd love to include it all in the Era of the Biff.

Go on email me..... I am not chasing a literary classic just tell it like it is,

Cheers
Quigs.

sportive cupid

Referee
Belly in Brisvegas said:
sportive cupid said:

Where were the players by that stage?
I 'm not too sure(memeory fades a little with time)but I can remember lots of people arriving at the Leagues Club from the game to find that they couldn't get in because the place was full.They got rather angry and tried to get in.The club was packed to the rafters and you could hardly move inside.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I was there!!!!!

Cumberland oval was the closest thing a fan had to being part of the game. The old ground smelled of a compination of beer, sweat, blood, dirt and tobacco. It seasted 2000 people, and 22000 would cram into it. Clouds of dust rose from the ground when big bodies collided. It was a gladiatorial cauldron the likes of which, atmosphere wise, does not exist today.

There was discussion about converting the old girl into a modern stadium. With Denis Fitzgerald fresh in the job, we would still be waiting. However, somewhere some brillinatly minded Parra fans decided that a champion team deserved a champion's ground.

I was at the SCG for the game. My mates and I drove back to the Leagues Club, but as we approached, we noticed some activity at Cumberland. We went over, and discovered people going berzerk. The fence palings that ringed the ground where ripped of and strewn everywhere. Signs were ripped down, seats were ripped up. The dressing rooms and canteens had been looted. Toilets were smashed, shower heads were ripped off, and tomato sauce was strewn everywhere.

Funnies t thing was the old scoreboard, a fibro structure on a 6ft brick stand. A group of bloked were on the stand, rtrying to rip down the clock. below, some other blokes decided to burn the stand. Up top, blokes began to realise that they were being burned, but still reefed at the clock!!!

The most surreal moment was the sight of a well dressed woman, savoring the moment quietly in the grandstand, while the mob rampaged around her at the seats!

THAT Was the passion that was unleashed when Parra truimphed. A far sight more passionate and determined than the johnny come lately softc*cks who cannot see life beyond Brian Smith!!!!!

Quigs

Immortal
many thanks Misty Bee for sharing your memories with us.

Do you remember what it was like at the SCG that day.

("Ding Dong the witch is dead" Jack Gibson..)

I have now signed you up and you are in Team Era. Your story is in the favorite moments section and also linked off the Eels 1981 GF game report in Memorable matches.

Thanks again.

Anyone else out there who witnessed the "burning" or was at the game and would like to share their memories...... contact Quigs now

sportive cupid

Referee
Now Misty you are being some what mischievious in your reference to Denis Fitzgerald here. ;-) The delay in turning Cumberland oval into a modern stadium was not the doing of Denis. It was a complicated environmental issue. :oops:

Misty Bee

First Grade
The delay in BUILDING the stadium was due to Ken Hey's Friends of Parramatta Park. Hiwever, trhe delay in demolishion Cumberland would have been like the delay in sacking Brian SMith - ie we'd STILL have bloody Cumberland!!!!

Quigs, thanks for the kudos!

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why would you destroy down your home stadium in celebration?What an odd thing to do... :?

bartman

Immortal
Ah Danny, the agreements were already in place to build the new stadium on top of what was Cumberland Oval when the Eels won the comp in 81! Cumberland Oval had already hosted its last game - a 20-all draw with Manly from memory (don't quote me, I was a kid then). Hence the perfect way to celebrate was to help start the demolition... :lol:

Anyway it took four and a half years to build and we had to go to Belmore for home games and share with the Doggies for the next four seasons!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Dannyfartown said:
Why would you destroy down your home stadium in celebration?What an odd thing to do... :?

mate! you just don't understand what us fans had to go through.

I had the pleasure of going to Cumberland oval games from the age of 7 until 11 when it was burnt down, I had my own brick I would keep behind the toilet block which I would use to stand on to watch the match at the end of each match I would put the brick back and would retrieve again at about 1pm on match day.

Misty! talked about the dust that would filter the air, I can tell you at the end of the day my beloved number 3 jersey would be covered in dust and if not dust it would be wet from rain.

On the rare occasion would would get a prime position on the old wooden seats only to end up with an arse full of splinters by the end of day.

mate! it was shit house conditions!

Quigs

Immortal
eelavation said:
Dannyfartown said:

mate! you just don't understand what us fans had to go through.

I had the pleasure of going to Cumberland oval games from the age of 7 until 11 when it was burnt down, I had my own brick I would keep behind the toilet block which I would use to stand on to watch the match at the end of each match I would put the brick back and would retrieve again at about 1pm on match day.

Misty! talked about the dust that would filter the air, I can tell you at the end of the day my beloved number 3 jersey would be covered in dust and if not dust it would be wet from rain.

On the rare occasion would would get a prime position on the old wooden seats only to end up with an arse full of splinters by the end of day.

mate! it was sh*t house conditions!

Great memories Eelavation,

I would like to use it in my website...... I have sent you off a private email with some details.

Any other punters with memories such as Misty bee and Eelavation, I;d love to hear from you.

Cheers
Quigs

Latest posts