What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who do we keep

Head is utter class ... even if he isn't at 100%.
With what we have in the other key positions he doesn't need to be 100%
But it is so evident that Head SEES things like the other 3 do because they are natural footballers, not a manufactured athlete.
If sizzler has a temporary lapse and teaches the side to tackle like they did for 16 wks in 05 there is no reason 05 can't be repeated. That is where we should be aiming. Melb are standouts and Easts are a good side but maybe a little too reliant on the kick. Honestly no one else in this comp scares me or can win it. Our centres are better than in 05 (attacking wise at least)

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yet you have no objections to extending Benji's contract given his history with injuries?
Benji wins games by himself. Head doesn't. Benji is a once in a generation player. Head, whilst good, isn't.
Mate, this comes down to two things.

1. How many top quality halfbacks are there available in the comp at the end of this season who we can sign?
2. Do we have a top quality halfback already at the club that warrants being replaced by an off contract halfback?
1. Read my posts again. As I said, extend his contract for next year now.
2. Read my posts again. As I said, extend his contract for next year now.
If he was a centre, winger, backrower or front rower then we'd just easily cut him loose. Problem is, there are **** all quality halves available.
Didn't suggest cutting him loose, in fact the opposite.
We have one sitting in our laps. Why should we be reluctant to sign him for more than year.
Because of his injury history, that's why. We already have one injury prone player in the club, who happens to be a once in a generation player and therefore warrants some more faith than Head. You could arguably throw Farah in there as well with his back that by all accounts will be troublesome for the rest of his career.
We show some faith in him, allow him to relax and get more comfortable in his role, and then by the time his 2 years are up, one of the young guys we have at the club will be groomed, and chomping at the bit to play first grade, and will only be 21-22 years old.
We showed faith in him by resurrecting his career. I'm suggesting we continue to show faith in him, but 6 games isn't enough to justify anything more than a one year extension.
It's a perfect situation for the club to be in, we shouldn't sit on our hands and **** around with a one year contract on this bloke.
You all criticise management for some questionable signings throughout our history, spending like drunken sailors on shore leave, yet are ready to throw a multiple year contract extension at him. He hasn't earnt it. Yet.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Benji wins games by himself. Head doesn't. Benji is a once in a generation player. Head, whilst good, isn't.
That is extremely debateable. Benji performs quality displays when he has a quality halfback outside him. Benji looked a million times better next to Prince than he has in any other game up until his first game with Head.
1. Read my posts again. As I said, extend his contract for next year now.
2. Read my posts again. As I said, extend his contract for next year now.
If you are going to offer him a contract, offer him one for at least 2 years. My two points weren't directed at anyone, they are basic questions which a coach should consider prior to resigning any player.
Didn't suggest cutting him loose, in fact the opposite.
I didn't suggest you said that. I'm merely pointing out the fact that are bugger all halfbacks of a great quality available, Head is one of the best in the comp, when fully fit and confident. Right now, he's not far from that.
Because of his injury history, that's why. We already have one injury prone player in the club, who happens to be a once in a generation player and therefore warrants some more faith than Head. You could arguably throw Farah in there as well with his back that by all accounts will be troublesome for the rest of his career.
That's a complete contradiction.
So you'd rather have Morris as halfback, playing every game every week for the next 5 years, than have Head who 'might' miss 6-7 games a year through injury, but will win us at least 75% more games than Morris will?

There is no difference between Benji and Head. Both are quality, both play in a position that there are little top quality players available in, and both are at our club. Prince came to the club with a bad history of injuries, yet we signed him for 3 years without considering his injury riddled past.

But when someone as good as Head comes along at a time when we need him, you want to be reluctant. Go figure.
We showed faith in him by resurrecting his career. I'm suggesting we continue to show faith in him, but 6 games isn't enough to justify anything more than a one year extension.
Prince played 9 games in the last 2 seasons at Brisbane before we signed him for 3 years.
6 games and the on-field performances and results is more than enough to justify a 2 year contract for Head.
You all criticise management for some questionable signings throughout our history, spending like drunken sailors on shore leave, yet are ready to throw a multiple year contract extension at him. He hasn't earnt it. Yet.
Upgrading McDonnell's contract is stupid because he's a **** player and doesn't deserve an upgrade. Head is not in that boat. How you fail to see this is beyond me.

gurstar

Juniors
playercontracts1.jpg

crouching_tiger

Juniors
Okay guys. 1 down 2 to go. Galloway i'm not worried about either. The pep talk i gave him in 2006 is still etched in his mind. I have been working Benny over for a few weeks on end now. I even managed to get him to come thank his supporters on the fence after the game at Leichhardt last sunday. But i'm a few more weeks away from getting him to sign on the dotted line. Leave it with me. ;-)

Okay guys. 2 down 1 to go. Te'o is a tricky one. Just gimme some more time. Once his negotiations are done and dusted, i will move onto getting Lazarus onto a 2 year deal. Then hopefully Head will have a few more games under his belt by then. :cool:

crouching_tiger

Juniors
Okay guys. 2 down 1 to go. Te'o is a tricky one. Just gimme some more time. Once his negotiations are done and dusted, i will move onto getting Lazarus onto a 2 year deal. Then hopefully Head will have a few more games under his belt by then. :cool:

Lazarus with a 1 year deal with 1 year option. News from Te'o in the next few days. Then onto Head.

Latest posts