What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

I think McIlwrick is ahead of Lids at the moment. He provides quick and efficient service out of DH and is pretty solid as a defender.

Ideally we would hang on to Grant but the rumour is he's headed back to Souths.

Adam Elliott would be a great pick up for the second row.

There'll be players that need to be cut from other clubs by May/June next year. No need to sign everyone on the market for the sake of it. There's a good chance we'll pick up a decent player cast off by other clubs that have over estimated the salary cap.

Shredder

Juniors
Mc is way ahead in my view.
Better service from DH. More effective and confident runner and defends well.

Liddle may get there - but there is a reason that Mc is starting atm.

super_coach

First Grade
Interesting, I just think McIlwrick is way ahead of the game as our hooker at this stage. My thinking was Liddle will come on in a few years time.

Little will be a gun when he feeds off our 2918 pack. His d/h work and his vision is first rate but I get the feeling Cleary will persist with the no9 rotation thing, lets face it more clubs do it than don't

Tiger05

First Grade
I think Liddle has a much better running game and you need that. McIlwrick's defence is great though and his overall game isn't poor.

They both to be honest at this point are average first graders and I don't think they have the ability to play 80 minutes. I think Liddle may develop into a quality first grader.

Clifferd

Coach
Liddle has the most potential let's not kid ourselves, he was the best no9 in his age group by far (yes better than Brailey) and look how good that kid is going, yes admittedly behind a dominant Sharks pack

MM is great guns aswell but doesn't he have knee troubles? He'd be awesome to have as a backup

Liddle was meant to be our Farah successor and I reckon next year with enough chances will reach that height

Tigerm

First Grade
Liddle has the most potential let's not kid ourselves, he was the best no9 in his age group by far (yes better than Brailey) and look how good that kid is going, yes admittedly behind a dominant Sharks pack

MM is great guns aswell but doesn't he have knee troubles? He'd be awesome to have as a backup

Liddle was meant to be our Farah successor and I reckon next year with enough chances will reach that height
I am no longer sold on "potential" I think ya gotta stand and deliver and to me MM is doing that, though I haven't heard about knee issues, next year or the year after will be what it will be:D
(couldn't get the "it is what it is" to fit my thoughts here LOL

Tiger05

First Grade
I am no longer sold on "potential" I think ya gotta stand and deliver and to me MM is doing that, though I haven't heard about knee issues, next year or the year after will be what it will be:D

I agree with this. We have to be very careful with potential. The best player needs to get picked and we can't go out on a limb betting on potential.

Still at this point to me Liddle looks a lot better a runner of the footy than MM. I think we have to play two hookers at this point as well.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Gotta say the prospect of keeping Tim-Tam Grant on as a bench prop next year is really growing on me.

Grant has an option in his favour so hopefully it is not going to break the bank. He goes alright as a bench prop. Doesn't really break a game open but holds the ship steady while the others get a breather

Clifferd

Coach

Sometimes you gotta gamble and I think with Liddle he's worth it. Watching him through the lower grades he's got it for sure

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on the list of players listed as being part of the NRL squad on the Tigers website and the announced players who will have come and left, we have a list of 37 players.

8 of those are off-contract that I can find, with rumours suggesting 4 could be going elsewhere. Who needs to be trimmed from the NRL squad to make way for new signings?

Aloiai
Brooks
Chee-Kam
Eisenhuth
Felise
Lawrence
Liddle
Lolohea
McIlwrick
Marsters
Nofoaluma
Sue
Suli
Taylor
Watene-Zelezniak
Twal
J.Grant
Jacobs
Lolo
Sironen
Tatola

Off contract
Edwards
T.Grant
Littlejohn
Lovett
Naiqama
Heleta
Hunt
Idris

2018 Signings
Fonua
Gamble
Matulino
McQueen
Milne
Packer
Reynolds
Thompson

Tiger Ted

Bench
Not sure about Wesley LoLo.A mate of mine who is close mates with LoLo reckons LoLo was complaining to him recently that he hasn't got a contract for next season.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I've decided I don't rate Mcilwrick or Liddle as hookers. They are both bog average. It's so important in the modern day for a hooker to play 80 minutes and play it well. These two can't play kick, lack penetration and the ability to steer the ship. If I was Ivan I'd give Reynolds a ring and see how he'd like to play at 9 for next year (it was his junior and arguably best position), and see who else we can get in the halves for 2018.

Reynolds is not a noted kicker of the ball and with MM or Liddle at 9 it'll be Brooks only in 2018 kicking. Concerning!

Tiger Ted

Bench
1. Watson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Milne
4. Suli
5. Lolohea

is looking likely at this stage.
Watson will dramatically enhance the strength of our spine.Assuming we do sign him it won't surprise me if this time next yr we r talking about him being the most outstanding of all the new recruits for next season.

It will b certainly something to look forward to with the addition of 2 tough competitors to our spine with Watson & Reynolds.The icing on the cake will b If Gamble is good enough to force IC to promote him if Brooks doesn't get his act together.

simmo05

Bench
Based on the list of players listed as being part of the NRL squad on the Tigers website and the announced players who will have come and left, we have a list of 37 players.

8 of those are off-contract that I can find, with rumours suggesting 4 could be going elsewhere. Who needs to be trimmed from the NRL squad to make way for new signings?

Aloiai
Brooks
Chee-Kam
Eisenhuth
Felise
Lawrence
Liddle
Lolohea
McIlwrick
Marsters
Nofoaluma
Sue
Suli
Taylor
Watene-Zelezniak
Twal
J.Grant
Jacobs
Lolo
Sironen
Tatola

Off contract
Edwards
T.Grant
Littlejohn
Lovett
Naiqama
Heleta
Hunt
Idris

2018 Signings
Fonua
Gamble
Matulino
McQueen
Milne
Packer
Reynolds
Thompson
Ballin and farah?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Watson is an enigma at fullback but I see similar attributes to Ben Barba.

Lightning acceleration, elusive footwork and a handy passing game; but not a kick returner just like Benny isn't.

But again that's the best case scenario at fullback.

Should that not pan out he also has the potential to make an excellent hooker; perhaps in the Craig Wing mould.

He needs to work on his passing left to right but again he has the attributes of high energy, a motor, good defender, lightning quick, has ball playing potential and is a tremendous support player.

Whereever he plays the good news is that he's got a tremendous work ethic and will get every ounce out of his potential.

The key to his success might well be a stable and firing halves combo so he doesn't carry too much weight on his shoulders.

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Watson is an enigma at fullback but I see similar attributes to Ben Barba.

Lightning acceleration, elusive footwork and a handy passing game; but not a kick returner like Benny.

But again that's the best case scenario at fullback.

Should that not pan out he also has the potential to make an excellent hooker; perhaps in the Craig Wing mould.

He needs to work on his passing left to right but again he has the attributes of high energy, a motor, good defender, lightning quick, has ball playing potential and is a tremendous support player.

Whereever he plays the good news is that he's got a tremendous work ethic and will get every ounce out of his potential.

The key to his success might well be a stable and firing halves combo so he doesn't carry too much weight on his shoulders.
Decent points. How come every player who leaves the Roosters has more holes in their game than swiss cheese, yet every player that joins the Roosters is flawless. While you're here, I'll point out some interesting characteristics about Tedesco.

Weak passing game.
Injury prone.
Often weak defensive positional player.
Known to hog the ball (although I don't blame him in this team)