What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who have you met ??

Knightmare

Coach
When I was in Year 9, Stevo came to our school and talked to our grade of his own accord. And when I passed him later on and said "Thanks for coming, Stevo." he remembered my name!

mepelthwack

Juniors
bjm8 said:
obviously i was at the same table. benji was so easy to talk to over a jug of VB. whether it be about serious football stuff or his lady killing tales.

i missed an opportunity to meet sirro back in 91, and never got another chance until 04. Great bloke, more then happy for a chat, photo, signiture. Benny Elias was there to, hasnt run so fast since his balmain heydays.

also ran into thurston one night out on the drink not long after the 05 final, he took my abuse very professionally.

indeed we were at the same table friend, long time no speak. Interested in coming to Dragqueens v Sheds? Speak more about it later.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
A few, but I'll just mention the ones I enjoyed meeting.
Warriors of 06', the Kiwis and the Kangaroos.
I especially want to mention Grant Rovelli, Steve Price, Cameron Smith, Matt King, Darren Lockyer, Lance Hohaia, Brent Webb, George Gatis, Ruben Wiki, Stacey Jones, Awen Guttenbiel, Luke O'Donell...and believe it or not Karmichael Hunt! hehe. All of whom were very, very good guys to talk to.

Ant

Juniors
I have a met a few guys over the years but the guys who have seemed the nicest and very willing to have a normal conversation with anyone were, I don't get too down on footy players who don't want to stop and spend a heap of time with you, I mean they must get it all the time. I only get annoyed at guys who are downright rude. I have only met a couple of guys who seemed pretty rude,

Wally Lewis, I have run into him a few times, I spent 2 days walking round a golf course with him when I was about 14, caddying for a member of his group at the Jack Newton celebrity golf classic (most of the celebs are really friendly, caddied for Jimoen once it was one of the funniest days of my life). Wally just didn't want to give me the time of day, and its been the same every other time I met him
Terry Hill would be the other person who I have come across who seems very rude.

On the good side:
Josh Hannay, seemed like a real down to earth fellow, very happy to have a chat and seemed interested find out things about you.

Ty Williams, also a good bloke who was happy to hang out for a chat.

Denis Scott, is a nice guy.

Paul Stephenson and Chris Hicks I met they seemed like nice blokes, happy to chat.

Michael Hancock and Mick Devere seemed pretty friendly.

Dean Pay also friendly bloke.

2 guys who spent of an hour talking to me very drunk on sperate occasions were John Plath and Robbie O, both occasions it was me who had to get out of there, the boys just wanted to talk, nice blokes.

My brother (mad tigers fan) was sitting at city rowers in brissy after work about 6 years ago, having an argument with his mate about footy. Gordon Tallis was at the bar by himself, heard the convo, came over and sat down with them for the next 3 hours. Said he was a top bloke, not sure why he was in the bar by himself, but top blole very funny.

I saw Jarryd Hayne at a grocery store in Liverpool once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Hayne trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence”, and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

I've met plenty, most good, a few not so.

Best one was one night I wound up drinking at the bar at the Holiday Inn with Craig Fitzgibbon (who was still playing) and Gorden Tallis after a Roosters v Cowboys game. Fitzy is so down to Earth and likeable that he would literally give you the shirt off his back. Tallis was surprisingly friendly and talkative, we wound up drinking together (not enough to get blotto) before he and I called it a night at about 1.30 am.

I've met plenty, most good, a few not so.

Best one was one night I wound up drinking at the bar at the Holiday Inn with Craig Fitzgibbon (who was still playing) and Gorden Tallis after a Roosters v Cowboys game. Fitzy is so down to Earth and likeable that he would literally give you the shirt off his back. Tallis was surprisingly friendly and talkative, we wound up drinking together (not enough to get blotto) before he and I called it a night at about 1.30 am.
Gordon Tallis as well as JWH are the most approachable, time giving and friendliest blokes you could ever meet, in spite of being two of the crankiest players on a footy field.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I've met Spud,Bundy and Tricky(Mark Carroll,Les Davidson and Darrel Trindall). All 3 were really cool, especially Spud who took a Souths jersey from me and took it to training to get signed by the whole team. Also met the Guru (Eric Grothe) as he used to work with a very good friend of mine.

snickers007

Juniors
I had a chance encounter with Benji Marshall around 2007-08, in a kebab shop in Pyrmont late on Saturday night.

I'd been to a fancy dress party, and was maggot drunk in my costume. He was being harassed by some dudes about something Nathan Cayless had done (in a recent test match).

He must have been off contract at the time, because I siddled up to him and said "Hey Benji, I'll shout you a kebab if you sign with the mighty Panthers". He said "Wrong colour cat bro", and then paid for my kebab.

We high-fived, and went our seperate ways.

axl rose

Bench
Paul Green, Hindmarsh and other eels. All they did was put shit on Brian Smith. Sounded like school kids at lunch and thier least favourite teacher. Good fun.

Gordon Tallis as well as JWH are the most approachable, time giving and friendliest blokes you could ever meet, in spite of being two of the crankiest players on a footy field.

I know. I was staying at the Mercure in Townsville in 2013 when the Roosters played the Cowboys (as were the players). There was this 8 year old supporter staying there with his family. Every time Jared saw this kid he said hello to him and had a little chat with him, really made this kid's day as Jared remembered him every time and what they had previously talked about. Never saw a child beam like this one did.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
When my parents were on holiday in Oz a few years back they stayed somewhere where they befriended a couple of similar age. Upon returning home mum asked me if I knew a guy called Luke Patten. They were his folks. I can't speak for Luke but apparently his parents are nice.

Valheru

Coach
SBW at Carmens multiple times circa 05/06.

Let's just say he was a different cat to what he is now. Good times.

I know. I was staying at the Mercure in Townsville in 2013 when the Roosters played the Cowboys (as were the players). There was this 8 year old supporter staying there with his family. Every time Jared saw this kid he said hello to him and had a little chat with him, really made this kid's day as Jared remembered him every time and what they had previously talked about. Never saw a child beam like this one did.
There’s a young fella with an intellectual disability who has cleaning role at my gym. I always greet him as he’s an Easts fan. He tells me he was walking his dog at Moore Park and could see the boys training. He yelled out ’go chooks’. Next thing, Jared comes up to him and he’s firing a billion selfies with him. He then calls the rest of team over where more selfies ensued. I keep scrolling through this kid’s phone with shot after shot of all the boys and Jared hogging most of frames. Then Jared goes into HQ and comes out with supporters cap, scarf and a training top. Then more selfies with the team and the kid decked out in his new gear.

Chippy73

Bench
I saw Mal Cochrane in Brookvale maccas queueing up to place his order, think it was about 1993

horrie hastings

First Grade

My better half does some group training with an exercise physiologist in Moore Park ( or did when it was possible ) and it was right near the Roosters training field and has always said when Jared was there he would give the exercise group come ons and motivation and have a joke and a chat with them when walking past , also Trent Robinson would always say hello to the group to.

Latest posts