What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who have you met ??

mepelthwack

Juniors
I was lucky enough to have met

Benji Marshall
Mark O'Neill
Anthony Laffranchi
John Skandallis
Brett Hodgson
Robbie Farah
Todd Payten

On the Gold Coast at a Post GF win party in 05. All top guys. Robbie F seemed a little shy but top fella. Payten a clown in a good way. Hodgson stood out as a real good guy as did Buckets. Benji was a champion bloke. Spoke to him at our table for about 2 hours and such a down to earth, easy going guy.

Hellsy

Immortal
OMG!!!

Too many to mention!

All the Parra players - most of them are great Eric Grothe and Ben Smith in particular, along with Blake Green from the younger grades.

Eric Snr is someone I am proud to call a friend

From other teams I gave Andy Ryan and Mark Gasnier a lift home one night, Andy I knew from when he played at Parra and Gaz was out with him.. with some of the flak that Gaz has copped over the years for his social life I must say he was nothing but a true gentleman that evening.

Craig Fitzgibbon also scammed a lift to the pub one night as he was going out with Eric Jr who I was dropping off - he is also a wonderful, kind guy.

Ive met Matty King on several occaisions.... and he has always been soo friendly.... :D :D
Also Ryan Hoffman, Cooper Cronk, Steve Turner - great friendly guys.

Michael Hodgson is also one of the nicest, friendliest guys you'll ever meet!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Got told off by Noel Cleal many many moons ago for snogging my girlfriend in a shop in Hull!

Raider_69

Post Whore
i have run into a fair few famous people in my times as an SFS - SGC Trust contracted cleaner, the following are the most noteable

Rusty Crowe - awesome bloke to have a casual chat to.
Andrew Johns - Wanker
Mario Fenech - does not like having the piss taken out of him, dribbles on about respect, but alright outside that.
Shane Warne - didnt get to chat to him as much as id have liked but seems cool.
Tammin Sursok - Swans fan, need i say more.

and my favourite
Ben Cross - legend, absolute legend

Stranger

Coach
Met a fair few and generally what i find is most of them will stop n say a goday, just do basically what is required of them by the fans. Bedsey is an absolute champ when it comes to the fans. Sorta bloke that will stand there and sign jerseys till theres no one left.

There are a few tools in there though. Johns, Peterson, Finch...

Most of the Manly players are awesome once they're aware you're a Manly fan. Sepcifically speaking, Beaver is a legend, likewise with Brett Stewart.

Johns Magic

Referee
Ricketson was an absolute top bloke. Made it seem like he was genuinely interested in what a 14 year old kid had to say to him, and was more than happy to.

Finch was alright when I met him, but he was with Ricko at the time, which might've had something to do with it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eric Grothe and Ben Smith are gods own children...nicest blokes you'll ever meet.

Other notable mentions include Luke Burt, Nathan Hindmarsh, Mick Vella, Nathan Cayless, PJ Marsh are all very cool to talk too..

Sugar

Bench
Said hello to big wilma mason at a shopping centre in townsville the ignorant prick looked me up and down and walked off.
If i ever see him again i'll give him the bird

Billigan

Juniors
i Have Met These Players At The Broncos Leagues Club
Darren lockyer
Tonie Caroll
Petero Civoneceva
Scott Minto
Brett Seymour- really Nice bloke to talk to
Leon Bott
Brent Tate
KArmichael Hunt
Shane Webcke
Barry Berrigan
Shaun Berrigan
Wayne bennent
Dane Carlaw
Cory Parker
Neville Costigan
Brad Thorn
DAvid Stagg
Casey Mc Guire

I have Met Wally Lewis At Suncorp Stadium

I Have Also met Kevin Walters At one of my footy MAtches

I HAve also met petero Civoneceva & Dane Carlaw At my Dads work & at my cousins Birthday.

Dave Faiumu is an old mate of mine. Champion bloke.

I've never really met any other league players.....apart from Dean Longergan, and he was cool.

Knightmare

Coach
People might say Joey is a Wayne Kerr but I've never had an autograph turned down by him- even when he was on crutches :lol: Out of the players I've met, Adam Macdougall is probably the friendliest (I heard he even used to give his number to people who asked), as was Robbie O. Chief is another guy who never has a problem stopping for a chat and Jason Stevens is a big enough bloke to laugh at himself. Danny Williams is a funny bugger. Laurie Daley is another one who has time for the fans. As unusual as it sounds, in real life he has a nice smile, irrespective of how big his nose is :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Frank Hyde - a true gentleman to say hello to a 14yo who snuck into the dressing rooms at Cumberland when he shouldn't have been.

Ditto Brett Hodgeson, who was most happy to sign my young blokes cast on a broken arm about 2 months before that special Tiger day in '05. Met Royce Simmons on the same day - not a shred of wanker in those 2.

Stan Jurd- the greatest front rower never to play for Australia - was in the same category on the occasions I used to bump into him.

I used to sell newspapers to Peter Wynn and Peter Sterling, again, down to earth blokes. Sterlo once bought The Sun (12c), and paid for The Mirror (10c), so Sterlo therefore still owes me 2 cents.

Others: Cronin, Mares, Brian Hetherington, Joey, and a few others in briefer encounters.

My nan knew Ken Irvine - does that count?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Oh, I forgot, the funniest meeting was at a footy presentation for my eldest, when the official guest was Steve Carter, but one of the kids uncles responded to his nephew's request, so Carter was usurped by Australia's greatest ever pivot, Brett Kenny. The kids flocked around Bert, as one does when confronted by a virtual diety, while Carter sat under a tree (and did his duty - he sat there for 2 hours). Meanwhile, The Great One happily signed autographs and chatted amicably to the kids about pointers of his magnificent career - the Golden Boots Awards, the Lance Todd Trophy, his 2 tries in 3 cnosecutive grand finals, being pivot for the Invincables, and how he beat Wally Lewis constantly in Origin.

Then comes the big moment - the greatest thing a kid can do between birth and marriage - obtaining the signature of one of the great men of our time. Up goes Misty Jnr, with his hallowed Eels jumper (replica 1986 version), and, with his heart in his mouth, asked the living legend "Excuse me, can you sign my jersey please?"

His Eminence, smiled, and said "Sure". He put out his hand (Probably the one he palmed Wally off with so many times), and took the jersey, and took a blue texta out of his pocket, and signed his famous signature - right on the blue part of the jersey!!!!!

And to this day, if you look really hard under about 1 billion lux, you can see, very faintly..."Brett Kenny"....:](*,):

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Misty Bee said:
Frank Hyde - a true gentleman to say hello to a 14yo who snuck into the dressing rooms at Cumberland when he shouldn't have been.
lol. Was the 14-year-old someone you knew MB? :D

Misty Bee

First Grade
It was Parra v Saints in about '79. I remember the Wynn brothers met in the corridor, and stood there grinning like a couple of country bumpkins who had won "biggest gherkhin" at the Tamworth show.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Misty Bee said:
It was Parra v Saints in about '79. I remember the Wynn brothers met in the corridor, and stood there grinning like a couple of country bumpkins who had won "biggest gherkhin" at the Tamworth show.

I was at that game..if my memory serves me correct the crow missed a goal right infront which would of got us home 20-19, instead we lost in a nail biter..I also remember the 3 trys St George score were amazing to watch, Slippery Morris, Sorridimi and Mitch Brennon carved us up.

tbone10

Juniors
I have met Jamie Lyon (absolute champion)
Mark Riddell (tosser)
Brett Firman (champion)
Stuart Webb (biggest tosser of all)

and i went to Huddersfield earlier this year and had a beer or ten with Alby Torrens who is a top bloke also,