What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is your fullback for next year?

beads6

First Grade
From what I hear Hoffman is an impressive young guy, and has the respect of the coaching staff and his peers ... I wish him all the best.

Seeing anything that resembles common sense when you're so one-eyed is near impossible ...

I'm amused that Denan Kemp is in the "fat club" ... been grazing in a good paddock in NZ heh?

Common sense would be to play Kemp at fullback not a young hack like Hoffman.

Also Winterstien started last pre-season in the fat club and he did well in 2009.

Dazzat

First Grade
Common sense would be to play Kemp at fullback not a young hack like Hoffman.

Also Winterstien started last pre-season in the fat club and he did well in 2009.

Not too sure you can call yourself a Broncos supporter while you are hoping that one of our young players goes badly.

beads6

First Grade
Not too sure you can call yourself a Broncos supporter while you are hoping that one of our young players goes badly.

I am glad you think so.... I know hoffman will go badly so I don't need to hope for it to happen.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Josh Hoffman is the Number 1 choice but has not been training and wont be back training with broncs until janruary as he had been given time off due to personal reasons ....
hoffy is ahead of Denan Kemp Kemp who is in Fat Club at the broncos

also other options is Hodges to fullback and Gerard Beale which ivan will test these three in the trials

if your wondering how i know this its because my dad is a trainer at the broncos soi think some of these rumors are quite funny ....

Thanks for this.

But I'd be interested to know why Hoffman is the #1 choice given his previous injury and unavailability for training now. Did he impress in QLD cup, previous training or a gut feeling by Ivan?

Also interesting that you do not name Lockyer, who Ivan and Locky himself have mentioned as a possibility in the media. Was this just hype?

beads6

First Grade
Hoffman is seen as the most like Hunt out of all the fullbacks, so Ivan woul dlike to use him first as it will be easier for the team to get used to him in the number 1. Also the team has played with Hoffman at fullback before which would also make the transition easier. I honestly am not bothered who plays fullback all the options will have a good crack and hopefully do well.

I just want Kemp in the 1 I have a crush haha

neddy

Juniors
mate the reason behind hoffman not training until next yr is a very good one and i wish not to disclose it... not my time and place to tell and im deciding to respect his and his familys privacy.

Hoffy also got best and fairest on the wednesday night b4 origin then went and played that friday night and had a killer game and was also really sick .. so im thinking you guys should just give him time and he will impress you in the number 1.. in his prime he is a very exciting player to watch with good backing up and awesome at getting the ball away in traffic for a back.... trust me he will play origin..

Two guys who are impressing inside the Broncos Camp are Matt Gillett from norths devils

and Michael Spence making a strong recovery from his injury ridden season last year and ivan is quite impressed so i think he will be pushing for that Tonie Carroll spot providing he is 100 percent the best part abut his game is his agressive defence.

also david Hala is a strong contender to start the nrl trials in the number 8

mathew britt from raiders 20's is also really impressing

Also the broncs are loving having tim smith there for Depth dont be suprised if he is there rnd 1 either

Dazzat

First Grade
Hoffy also got best and fairest on the wednesday night b4 origin then went and played that friday night and had a killer game and was also really sick .. so im thinking you guys should just give him time and he will impress you in the number 1.. in his prime he is a very exciting player to watch with good backing up and awesome at getting the ball away in traffic for a back.... trust me he will play origin..

and Michael Spence making a strong recovery from his injury ridden season last year and ivan is quite impressed so i think he will be pushing for that Tonie Carroll spot providing he is 100 percent the best part abut his game is his agressive defence.

Also the broncs are loving having tim smith there for Depth dont be suprised if he is there rnd 1 either

Thanks for that information. Yeah ... I agree about Hoffman. I've seen enough rugby league over the years to recognise a class player ... and I see QUALITY when it see Hoffman play. In fact, he reminds me of Jarryd Hayne a little.

Regarding Spence ... I was totally impressed with him in the Under 20 Grand Final a couple of years ago - again, a QUALITY player with power, strength and skill.

Will Spence be playing backrow or frontrow? If backrow, he'll have some in front of him.

neddy

Juniors
spence's a backrower naturally but now he is weighing in at 104 kg's and also has alot of speed so he might be a tight running second rower but his speed for his weight is phenomenal easily one of coffs harbours best products bhind inglis and tolman and fensom

Broncodr01d

Juniors
From The Daily Telegraph.

TIM Smith's arrival at the Broncos has prompted speculation that arguably the world's best rugby league player - Darren Lockyer - may switch positions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome neddy, loving this alleged inside info. Hope it's all genuine and not some one taking the piss. It sounds good, look forward to more posts in the off-season and during 2010 ;-)

Broncos fan!

Juniors
mate the reason behind hoffman not training until next yr is a very good one and i wish not to disclose it... not my time and place to tell and im deciding to respect his and his familys privacy.

Two guys who are impressing inside the Broncos Camp are Matt Gillett from norths devils

Good to hear Gillett is going well. All year I have been calling for him to get signed up by us. :D

Also just as good news about Spence. He was one of my favourite NYC players in 2008 and I had big wraps on him. It was very disappointing to see him get injured so much last year because I think he would of made his debut for sure. If he can play like he did in 2008 then I think he could go places.

Cheers for that bro. :thumb

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Bench or starting do you know? The reason I ask is if Lockyer is still a possibility to go back to fullback? Just wondering if the Lockyer hype is bs or not.

Yeah, the games I watched Gillette play for Norths he played really well! I haven't seen much of Spence but it sounds exciting! Thanks for the info.

Lycon79

Juniors
Josh Hoffman is the Number 1 choice but has not been training and wont be back training with broncs until janruary as he had been given time off due to personal reasons ....
hoffy is ahead of Denan Kemp Kemp who is in Fat Club at the broncos

also other options is Hodges to fullback and Gerard Beale which ivan will test these three in the trials

if your wondering how i know this its because my dad is a trainer at the broncos soi think some of these rumors are quite funny ....

Ah this is good news for me I have been talking Hoffman up for years. I hope he takes his opportunity with both hands and shows us what I've seen him do for Redcliffe and the Broncs U20 at NRL or even rep level.... fingers crossed..

Broncos93

Juniors
I hope Hoffman does well. When I first saw him I instantly liked him. I love Denan as well, and I constantly find myself watching replays of his freaky tries from '08, but I don't think Kemp is the kind of fullback that would suit the Broncos. Even before Hunt our fullback was a second five-eighth in Lockyer, and Hoffman just seems to fit that mold. I haven't seen a lot of him play, but from what I've seen I think he'll be similar to Karmichael.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If Hoffman gets the gig, pencil Brisbane in for missing teh 8. His "defence" is comical

Big Pete

Referee
Hoffman's star shines brightly

Cait Bester | 12th December 2009
AS the NRL pre-season starts, Mackay’s home grown youngster Josh Hoffman is primed to make the fullback his position his own at the Brisbane Broncos.

The 21-year-old, who made his debut in the round 13 match against St George Illawarra Dragons in June last year, played four games for the Broncos last season. He’s confident he’ll be the new Brisbane fullback after former custodian Karmichael Hunt signed a three year deal with a new Gold Coast AFL club.
Hoffman was back in Mackay for a short break before heading back to Brisbane to start pre-season training with the team.
“I am pretty confident that I will be the first choice fullback for the Broncos,” Hoffman said.
“There are a few other young fellas such as Denan Kemp looking at the position as well.
“But fingers crossed I am very confident that I will make it into the 2010 team.”
Hoffman had a setback with injury this year but he said he primed for action after mid-season surgery on his shoulder.
“I am hoping that 2010 will bring a lot more for me,” he said.
“I missed out on a lot of games last season due to my shoulder injury but I have had shoulder reconstruction and it is now under control.
“It is now 100 per cent and ready to tackle the season ahead.”
The 85kg fullback was born and bred on Mackay soil and moved to the “big smoke” in 2007 to play for the Redcliffe Dolphins.
“As a young kid I didn’t think I would be playing professional footy let alone playing for the Broncos,” he said.
“It’s a dream come true for a young kid like me and I am just really enjoying it.
“I just love playing footy whether it is playing it in the park, in the backyard with my cousins or out on the field in front of thousands of fans.”
The small town boy remembers his first NRL game against the Dragons.
“I remember running out onto the field and seeing all the cameras; it really freaked me out and it still does sometimes,” he said.
“I have to pinch myself sometimes especially when you are sitting in the dressing room just 100m away from Justin Hodges, the football player that I have always idolised and now he is my team-mate.”

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2009/12/12/hoffmans-star-shines-brightly-fullback-calls-young/

Latest posts