What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who replaces Cappy?

shiznit

Coach
You cant please everyone. If Doyle picks who you want, someone else will say something similar to what youve said above.
That's the problem though... It may well ruin Doyles honeymoon period with the fans... But It's not truly about pleasing people.

It's about getting the best person for the job.

Mooks IMO isn't that guy...

He wasn't able to turn around a losing culture at Parra so I have doubts whether putting him in charge of a similar culture at the Warriors will offer a different result.

Meth

Staff member
Mooks... WTF?!?!?

So much for the rumours I was hearing about Doyle talking to Tooves/Des...

Doyle is seriously putting the goodwill of the fans and media towards him on the line with this appointment...

A lot of the blame for the mess of Warriors this season hasn't really fallen at his feet because a lot of the football staff was inherited...

But this appointment is all on him IMO...

And I actually really like Mooks... His Parra stint was more about the club than about him IMO... I think he could excel as a head coach if he was in the right job.

But don't think the Warriors are that job...

Make no mistake about it... Doyle is putting his reputation on the line with this appointment...

Apparently Bellamy and Bennett were begging to come, but Kearney blew Scu.....I mean, Doyle away with his vision.

JJ

Immortal
Wasn't Kemble the worst Kiwis coach ever?
Not sure, but Kearney's is only about 55%

6 and 4 with the Poms, and 6 and 14 with Aust - or thereabouts... rightly or wrongly Uncle Wayne gets a lot of credit

He was abysmal with the Eels, and personally I think it's a poor appointment, if true, but time will tell

He has been understudy for two of the great modern coaches.
He has to have learnt something.
Still prefer Has or Tooveys.
Cleary maybe slightly more than Kearney

vvvrulz

Coach
Will reserve all judgement (if it's Kearney) until he has a full season with us, and he gets the luxury of a proper off season as well. No point bagging him now until we know for sure if he's up to it.

He's got a few ticks in his resume, an extended successful run with the Kiwi's, should know a thing or two about the local culture and mindset, and apprenticeships under Bellamy and Bennett. I mean hey, if he hasn't learnt something from those two then he's nuts.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not sure, but Kearney's is only about 55%

6 and 4 with the Poms, and 6 and 14 with Aust - or thereabouts... rightly or wrongly Uncle Wayne gets a lot of credit

He was abysmal with the Eels, and personally I think it's a poor appointment, if true, but time will tell

That's still a good record for any coach who has to play the Roos regularly. Doubt many if any kiwis coaches can boast of better and from what I remember under Kemble we got flogged horribly every time we played them.
Bluey of course is the worrying exception but he hasn't got the grounding as an NRL assistant that Kearney has.

vvvrulz

Coach
That's still a good record for any coach who has to play the Roos regularly. Doubt many if any kiwis coaches can boast of better and from what I remember under Kemble we got flogged horribly every time we played them.
Bluey of course is the worrying exception but he hasn't got the grounding as an NRL assistant that Kearney has.

And he's had to fields some *horrible* Kiwi's teams in those years.

No we didn't win those but it was pretty impressive we didn't cop 50 point floggings

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah, look... there's a lot of question marks, and he certainly wasn't my choice (I would have had him in the bottom 3 of that list of 8-9 guys earlier in the thread).. but hopefully it works out. At least we're not keeping Cappy - that was the big fear I think, that 3 years of failure would be implicitly ok'd by not making the change.

And hopefully Doyle or someone with some real nous in the area runs our recruitment with little to no say from Kearney, if what/who he went for at Parramatta is any indication (though a sneaky bid for Ken Sio as a cheap wing competition option wouldn't be horrible - particularly if we're making a booboo in not renewing Wells, and Kearney would likely seem keen for that having debuted Sio and picked him in every game after that until he was sacked).

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Stephen Kearney it is. Not sure how to feel about it to be honest. He has kind of mixed results. I was more hoping we would get Ivan back. Ah well...

Leber

Bench
Aaaaaand it's official. What a bloody awful awful call. Anyone who thinks that this is a good call needs a psychiatric assessment.

A little surprising that Morgan is going too. Not quite sure how they will structure cappy and jones ( one attacking? One defensive?).

I suppose it's props to cappy too. Willing to stay in in a lesser role even though you have been fired.

The only saving grace is that as far as 'wanting' to play for the coach, this is basically a dream team. Also, he may have learnt a whole new skill set from Bennett.

Let's hope that the players respond well to him.

Cold Roses

Juniors
"Remarkably, despite being sacked, McFadden, who had a year remaining on his contract, will remain at the Warriors as an assistant to Kearney.

A third change sees club legend Stacey Jones promoted from coaching the Intrust premiership team to provide additional support to the NRL squad while current assistant coaches Andrew Webster and Justin Morgan are not contracted for next season."

Cold Roses

Juniors
"The changes continue at administrative level, with the announced formation of a football advisory board to oversee the club's football operations and offer some sporting knowledge and perspective to the club's board.

Among the members are former World Cup-winning All Blacks coach Sir Graham Henry, experienced NFL coach Eric Mangini, club great Awen Guttenbeil and director Owen Eastwood."

Cold Roses

Juniors
Giving everyone one last dream that we will actually get a good coach

Feels a bit like that doesn't it? Maybe Doyle just decided he'd best get on top of it given that the news was broken today.

While I have mixed feelings about the appointment, I also have a bit of optimism about it.
Kearney is familiar with a large portion of the playing roster already, but McFadden staying on will give him an insight into some of the problems which have been occurring over the last few years.

In particular, the football advisory board looks like someone, whether it's Doyle or Watson, is getting serious about making some changes.