What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the new team ?

doctor death

Juniors
As a general comment, it makes little sense having narky, nasty Manly supporters ripping into the Bears. Take it to the Manly area and whinge amongst yourselves.

We saved your lives in 2000 when the knife was put into us. You should be eternally grateful. But quit bitching about the CC Bears.

Misty Bee

First Grade
yet the Gold Coast can still pull 18,000 to trial games with part reserve grade teams. Last NRL game held on the Coast several years ago (2001) was a sell-out. Ticket Sales for the upcoming Dogs v Cowboys game are strong with GA tickets the only ones available, corporates full.

What were their average crowds between their first and their second last matches?

And is that why they died 3 times?

The Gold Coast bid = Lazarus with a triple bypass!

PanthersChik

Juniors
Well I am going to be different and say Perth. Why? Cause I can. Okay so we know that the Central Coast OR Gold Coast are more likely the two canidates for this spot, however I would like to see perth in. It is about time I think anyways, that we get the other states involved in the NRL...and make it the "aussie sport".
:hg:

Azkatro

First Grade
Just a small suggestion outside the square. Why can't we invigorate the lower grades (either expand the QLD cup or NSW Premier League) or simply introduce a two-division competition? Promotion and relegation. The major problem here is travelling funds, but anything is possible.

In this kind of setup we could have a first division with say a 12/12 split - currently you'd probably look at having Broncos,Bulldogs,Raiders,Sharks,Sea Eagles,Storm,Warriors,Cowboys,Eels,Panthers,Dragons,Roosters in division 1 and then say Tigers,Rabbitohs,Knights in division 2 with extra sides being say Gold Coast, Central Coast, Wellington, Perth, Adelaide and then get a few of the stronger QLD Cup/Prem League sides like Dolphins, Bears, Jets, and a few others in there. Perhaps a 10/10 split would be more achievable.

The point is it would be the answer to a few issues:
- it gets the new teams into a competition and playing football
- it creates much needed interest in games with lower-ranked clubs because it might be a battle for promotion/relegation or similar
- it reduces the length of each season - meaning less workload on players
- it keeps the quality of division 1 matches at their utmost due to the competition involving only the top 10 or 12 teams
- more attention would be paid to division 2 than is currently paid to say the QLD Cup or Prem League
- more overall interest in the game - there's more news during the season in two divisions and promotion/relegation dogfights than there is in one competition with a top 8 and not much else

There are also some cons though:
- finding the money to fly lower grade teams to NZ and Perth etc
- any teams in division 2 could no longer be used as feeders (although that could be a pro!)
- finding enough sponsors to support two competitions and 20 or more teams

I would love a competition that operated like that personally.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
doctor death said:
Crowds? The GC has had 4 go's and averaged 6,000 per game. The CC has been stuffed around and insulted with a desperate Manly takeover team but still the crowds turned up.

Listen, idiot. GC is all conditional. CC is all there now, ready to go - as promised. It's the difference between CC concrete reality and GC promises.

The Central Coast Bears will be a Gosford team. It will have links with the North Sydney Bears because that's how it came into being. Like the Swans, the origins in south melbourne are respected - but people don't say "swans is really Sth Melbourne". the CC Bears will be exactly the same.

As for Pizza Boy's stats, they're 5 years old and a full reading shows that the GC population will be 551K in 2011. the central coast/north Shore population is over 1 milion NOW and growing AND is a genuine rugby league area.

Stick to pizzas, big fella. leave the brains stuff to me.

Hindys, find some new mates who don't lead by the nose like an idiot with ********.
A central coast side
who relies on the north shore hmm
so what you blokes are talking about is not expansion but ressurection

How long will the bears stay on the coast for, lets call it what it is Norths using the CC region to get back in the NRL.

Misty Bee funny thing is your club are one of the big supporters of a Gold Coast side.

Id love to see it go to a vote from the CEOs
the gold coast would win hands down.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
mightybears said:
the bears

we have the stadium
we have the money
FFS
is you have the money
how about you pay the players from 1999 in full
and pay your half of the northern eagles debt back to manly

Hindyscrack

Bench
doctor death said:
Crowds? The GC has had 4 go's and averaged 6,000 per game. The CC has been stuffed around and insulted with a desperate Manly takeover team but still the crowds turned up.

Listen, idiot. GC is all conditional. CC is all there now, ready to go - as promised. It's the difference between CC concrete reality and GC promises.

The Central Coast Bears will be a Gosford team. It will have links with the North Sydney Bears because that's how it came into being. Like the Swans, the origins in south melbourne are respected - but people don't say "swans is really Sth Melbourne". the CC Bears will be exactly the same.

As for Pizza Boy's stats, they're 5 years old and a full reading shows that the GC population will be 551K in 2011. the central coast/north Shore population is over 1 milion NOW and growing AND is a genuine rugby league area.

Stick to pizzas, big fella. leave the brains stuff to me.

Hindys, find some new mates who don't lead by the nose like an idiot with ********.

Yes the Gold Coast has had a go, in saying that we can say that the CC has had a go and stuffed up too. But then again the last time an NRL team was on the coast was in 1998, and by the time a new one may get back in is 2007. That is 9 long years without a team.

The difference to the 90's gold coast and today is extremely different. We are finally seeing a generation of Gold Coast born and bred kids, who with the backing of a local NRL side will chose League as their sport only strengthening the area as a league heartland. We are not expat Victorians as you would have everyone beleive. Hell we could even convert some VFL followers.

The only thing set in concrete at CC is the stadium, which part owned by Singo is the reason he is behind your bid. The GC stadium is as solid as it can be. Stop taking weak pot shots, No idiot is going to spend millions on a stadium that may not have a tennant.

I thought this was a Central Coast team, how can you claim to have a Million people to draw a fan base from. Claims like that a ridiculous. If the Gold Coast was to do the same, we would be drawing from areas Far South as Byron/Ballina and the North Of Brisbane, a population of well over 2 Million. Consdiering the Broncos are the only team within this area i can see people travelling to the Coast to watch top flight Rugby League, especially people from Nthn NSW where Rugby League is life.

Is it true that you would support a Gold Coast backed bears entry?

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
http://www.redandblackzone.com/I - CentralCoastBearsinformationpackage[1]_files/slide0220.htm

Hmmm interesting Growth there boys

http://www.redandblackzone.com/I - CentralCoastBearsinformationpackage[1]_files/frame.htm

hmmm proves dr death aka mike gibbons a liar

http://www.redandblackzone.com/I - CentralCoastBearsinformationpackage[1]_files/frame.htm

utter ******** how can u justfy that slide when the gold coast has averaged consistantly higher, i have a feeling the bears have included the Northern eagles 2000 figures in this.

why would u put a nrl team in an area whos interest is decreasing at a rate of almost a 1.5% a year

hahahaha and it only matters what fans in NSW think hey

I though the N in NRL stood for national rugby league not NSW

I urge everyone to read that link funniest thing ive read in ages.

Just remember with stats if you look hard enough and twist hard enough u can find stats to support any arguement

Hindyscrack

Bench
Sir Clifford GC said:
Just remember with stats if you look hard enough and twist hard enough u can find stats to support any arguement

Yes some of the stats used a very interesting, i am sure from the same survey there were plenty in favour of the GC not used.

Stats must have been pretty old, Gold Coast population 380K? I dont think so, i like the way they added to north shore to their stats to boost population, nice trick.

you see some of the recent crowds that were posted? massive support for rugby league on the central coast! Worse then the Gold Coast in the chargers area.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Average Crowds: Gold Coast v Central Coast/North Sydney

1997:
North Sydney (NSO) 11803
Gold Coast (Carrara) 8884

North Sydney (NSO) 10,958
Gold Coast (Carrara) 6,566

In that year, 3 of the worst 5 home crowds were at Cararra: They were:

3374 : Round 9 - May 8,9,10 ; Gold Coast v Penrith at Carrara Stadium on Saturday Afternoon

3762 : Round 13 - June 6,7 ; Gold Coast v Illawarra at Carrara Stadium on Saturday Night

3897 : Round 16 - June 26,27,28 ; Gold Coast v Adelaide at Carrara Stadium on Saturday Night

Another important factor - away crowds - indicatnig pulling power is assessed.

Results:

North Sydney av 11200
Gold Coast av 6998

North Sydney: 8,567
The disaster year - with Norths playing every match until late in the year away due to probvlems with construction at Gosford. This disaster year compares well with Gold Coast's home crowds of the previous years.

Northern Eagles - North Power Stadium 15,610 (third, behind Marathon and ANZ)
Northern Eagles - Brookvale Oval 10,116 (last - including 2 of the worst 5 crowds of the year: (6106 : Round 15 - May 12-14 ; Nth.Eagles v Auckland at Brookvale Oval on Saturday Afternoon) and (6899 : Round 22 - Jun 30-Jul 1-2 ; Nth.Eagles v Bulldogs at Brookvale Oval on Sunday Afternoon )

Northern Eagles - North Power Stadium: 10,569
Northern Eagles: Brookvale Oval: 8,578

(the year Arko said to the people of the Central Coast - "Stuff You" - and made plans to turn the joint venture into Manly at Brookvale again - thus alienating Central Coast league supporters)

Northern Eagles - North Power Stadium 9,956
Northern Eagles - Brookvale Oval 10,574

From these figures it is clear that rugby league on the central coast was supported far more than that on the Gold Coast. League only dropped off in Gosford after the Manly side of the Northern Eagles joint venture decided to shaft the district, and move back to Brookvale under their old name.

The Central Coast has proved itself as a potential League goldmine. The Gold Coast is yet to prove this.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Misty Bee funny thing is your club are one of the big supporters of a Gold Coast side.

My club is also the employer of Denis Fitzgerald. That doesn't make their decisions wise!

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
mirky bee

how about u include half the facts next time

Firstly leave NSO out of it as we are talking about a Central Coast side vs a Gold Coast side theres 11 teams in sydney already to expand in sydney is suicide.

2002 u say they average almost 10000
well according to singleton and CCB stats that a F#Ckin lie

Manly (NE) Vs Knights , 8082
Manly (NE) Vs Raiders 5339
Manly (NE) vs Dogs 5900

You say arko said Stuff you to the CC i think those three attendances show how CC said to the manlt run eagles STUFF You

So what ever creditabilty you had being a squeels fan you have lost.

You have just plucked numbers out of the air you goose.

Now for some real numbers

Since 2001 the gold coast hasnt had a crowd under 10000 for trial games reaching the 18000 mark on two occasions

For trials games that mean as much as parramatta Sweet FA.

Yet the coast has had Rep games and trials and still doesnt get anywhere near Carrara gets, which is very scary considering carrara is a venue that is friendly to league viewing at this stage.

Misty Bee

First Grade
The stats come from http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/8957/index.htm - Daryl Bradford's been keeping League stats for years.

Firstly leave NSO out of it as we are talking about a Central Coast side vs a Gold Coast side theres 11 teams in sydney already to expand in sydney is suicide.

Can you repeat that in English..?

I included NSO stats because tose stats were not good enough for the NRL back in those years. That they dwarf the Gold Coasts speaks volumes.

Manly (NE) Vs Knights , 8082
Manly (NE) Vs Raiders 5339
Manly (NE) vs Dogs 5900

You say arko said Stuff you to the CC i think those three attendances show how CC said to the manlt run eagles STUFF You

Goes back to my Vanstone quip. Even you reckoned they were Manly games.

Stick Manly at Carara and see how well they draw

Since 2001 the gold coast hasnt had a crowd under 10000 for trial games reaching the 18000 mark on two occasions

OCCASIONS! They once jagged 100k to Telstra for a NFL game - doesn't mean the Green Bay Packers are the most supported team in Sydney does it you clown! The reason why the Gold Coast can ONLY host trials is because no locals turned up when they had an NRL team!

which is very scary considering carrara is a venue that is friendly to league viewing at this stage.
So why the need for a new stadium then?

Quit while you are behind, Cliffy,

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
mirky deadset
if your brain was semen there wouldnt be enough to make half a baby.

Using your sexual fasination of Ms Vanstone to back up you piss weak rhetoric proves that.

Your trying to say the coast gets crowds to one offs,

Let me see
2 games
2 games
3 games
2 games
2 games
Thats how many trials we've had up here
and i could say quite safely they have averaged 13000 - 14000 a game.

Yet the central coast cant even get that to real comp games or fill the joint for City Vs Country.

mightybears

Bench
Misty Bee said:
North Sydney: 8,567
The disaster year - with Norths playing every match until late in the year away due to probvlems with construction at Gosford. This disaster year compares well with Gold Coast's home crowds of the previous years.

and that included the 'home' match at lang vs the cowboys that the nrl asked the bears to play in brisbane [the only nrl match at lang that year]
a match norths could have played closer to home but did as the powers that be requested

nqboy

First Grade
doctor death said:
Misty

You're a wise man.
When are you two getting married?

doctor death said:
There is a link floating around showing Singo's detailed bid last year.
Well, why don't you post it? You keep insisting that we should compare bids and this will show the CC bid to be far superior, but you won't (can't?) post it.

doctor death said:
He spent a huge amount of money having the whole issue researched in detail and the conclusions are clear. the CC Bears is a far superior bid on every point..
So, let me see if I understand you. Singo paid for some research that found that his bid was the best, is that right?

doctor death said:
In comparison, the GC has put out a lot of spin and most of the lazy, incompetent journalists in rugby league have swallowed it in the last 2 years. Why? Because they couldn't be botherred checking facts. Worse, the media has actively ignored the Central Coast Bears bid. It's just easier to say "too many NSW teams" or "Queensland need another team" even tho GC has failed a hundred times. Simply look at the Footy Show. Micheal Searle is on every week. No airtime given to Singo or the Bears at all.

doctor death said:
As for the growth of GC argument, Singo's research establsihes one thing. the majority of the GC growth is from Asia and the AFL states. On a "rugby league" follower immigration basis, growth rates are similar..
Again, this is the research that Singo paid for, is that right?

doctor death said:
Thus, the one big GC spin about growth islaid to rest.
Only in your mind and the minds of those with one(red and black)eyed CC fans. Diehard posted the demographics a week ago, why haven't you addressed them?

doctor death said:
This is why the NRL is avoiding a public comparison of the bids - because publicity will expose how far behind the GC bid really is. It's true.
Of, it's true, is it? Well, right then, you've convinced me. Not.