What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should we sign for 2022

Rich102

Staff member
I will drop this in here.
From Fox sports:

Predicted Warriors best 17: 1. Reece Walsh 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Euan Aitken 4. David Fusitu’a 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Chanel Harris-Tavita 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Wayde Egan 10. Matt Lodge 11. Josh Curran 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Tohu Harris 14. Kodi Nikorima 15. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 16. Bayley Sironen 17. Ben Murdoch-Masila

Analysis: David Fusitu’a returns from injury to replace Rocco Berry at centre. Euan Aitken returns to centre to replace Cowboys bound Peta Hiku with Eliasa Katoa coming into the second row. Returning star Shaun Johnson replaces Sean O’Sullivan at halfback. Tohu Harris returns from injury with Bayley Sironen switching to the bench to take the departed Kane Evans’ spot. Ben Murdoch-Masila also returns from injury on the bench.

Rich102

Staff member
Also from Fox Sports:

Off-contract 2022: Wayde Egan, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Marcelo Montoya, Jack Murchie, Kodi Nikorima, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown

Analysis: The key Warriors players off-contract in 2022 are halves Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi Nikorima. 22-year-old Harris-Tavita was seen as the future of the club, but Shaun Johnson’s return and interest in Ashley Taylor left his future beyond 2022 uncertain. The club looks set to start Harris-Tavita and Johnson in the halves with 27-year-old Nikorima pushed to the bench, which means he could be on his way out of the club in 2023. Adding to the intrigue surrounding the spine is that 24-year-old starting hooker Wayde Egan is also off-contract. 25-year-old winger Marcelo Montoya also needs a big year to show Nathan Brown he is in his long-term plans.

jaseg

Juniors
Pretty sure Aaron Pene will get first shot at the bench prop spot tbh... need his ptb speed for a point of difference when the starters go off.

Honestly though these 16 club writeup things are usually pretty low effort, so I imagine there's a few weird things across the article. They've probably just missed Pene's signing completely.

Tongue

Juniors
Pretty sure Aaron Pene will get first shot at the bench prop spot tbh... need his ptb speed for a point of difference when the starters go off.

Honestly though these 16 club writeup things are usually pretty low effort, so I imagine there's a few weird things across the article. They've probably just missed Pene's signing completely.
Its because in a different article they had Pene off to the Titans.

JJ

Immortal
Not a bad looking side tbh, but might be wishful thinking with Fus, Brown’s thinking might be different though…

Fangs

Coach
Howdy.

I don't mind the Taylor/Johnson combination. Plenty riding on Johnson staying fit but I think they can complement each other.

Will probably be the Warriors third year in Brisbane, its been an adjustment period. I think they are ready for the 8 in 2022.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
What's our take on CHT? The club seems to be really reticent to back him in as the guy for the future.
And with good reason. The bloke hasn’t shown much at all.

To be fair, injuries have hampered him so he hasn’t been able to have a decent run of more than 6 games or so, but outside of defence he really hasn’t shown enough for me. Long kicking game is meh, as is his short. Attack been pretty poor too, with no real line break, tackle break, off load or forced drop out stats to speak of.

He has a good attitude and maybe he comes on after learning from SJ, but I just don’t think he has the footy smarts to lead a team around the park. I think he’d make a good centre, similar to a Jerome Ropati imo

waipiro

Juniors
Sounds like we are keen to get Metcalf next year too which would put the cat amongst the pigeons on who starts in the halves!
CHT to cover 9 maybe? I could see Kodi and Taylor both at the Dolphins next year....but they would have to impress Wayne. Especially since Jayden is moving from Dolphins over to the storm

Sanchez

Coach
And with good reason. The bloke hasn’t shown much at all.

To be fair, injuries have hampered him so he hasn’t been able to have a decent run of more than 6 games or so, but outside of defence he really hasn’t shown enough for me. Long kicking game is meh, as is his short. Attack been pretty poor too, with no real line break, tackle break, off load or forced drop out stats to speak of.

He has a good attitude and maybe he comes on after learning from SJ, but I just don’t think he has the footy smarts to lead a team around the park. I think he’d make a good centre, similar to a Jerome Ropati imo

Hes trying to be an NRL half when he doesnt know the difference between a chip and a bomb so just does something in between both, and it leads to a zero outcome.

In saying that i would have him in the team as a centre or hooker or even a 2020's lock. Probably a perfect bench utility but he probably doesnt want to do that if the rumours are true about some teams wanting him in the halves

Rich102

Staff member
Again from Fox.

The Warriors are that club that, no matter who you support, you just want to see them succeed after the last couple of seasons they’ve endured away from home.

Shaun Johnson’s homecoming instantly increases their chances of a premiership and Reece Walsh proved in the back end of this season that he can fill the shoes of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Addin Fonua-Blake and Matt Lodge provide some good punch up front and Josh Curran’s potential is really exciting.

But the Warriors are probably a gun centre and an elite hooker away from being a genuine premiership threat.

If Brandon Smith shows any signs of being unsettled at the Storm, the Warriors need to pounce.

Land Manu and Smith, while also re-signing Johnson and the Warriors will be considered a heavyweight.

Premiership window: 2023-2025

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Yeah right now we’re probably 2 gun centres shy, but what do Berry and Vailea look like at the end of the 2023 season with 40-50 games under their belt…

Buy a top hooker and good foil for SJ and we’ll be there or thereabouts in 2023 and 2024

SmashEmBro

Juniors
We’re reportedly looking at Paul Mimiorvski for next season.

Would be a good get I reckon. Please disregard my post above saying that we don’t need centres lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Not sure where to ask these, where are you based next year? Sunny Coast, Gosford? Obviously won't be Auckland.

Who will the Reggie's play for?

May I suggest playing out of Robina Gold Coast, with a Reggie's connection with East's Brisbane who probably want to cut ties with the Broncos now.

Suit until you can return home.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not sure where to ask these, where are you based next year? Sunny Coast, Gosford? Obviously won't be Auckland.

Who will the Reggie's play for?

May I suggest playing out of Robina Gold Coast, with a Reggie's connection with East's Brisbane who probably want to cut ties with the Broncos now.

Suit until you can return home.
Redcliffe I believe will be training base for the season with the view to move home games back to Auckland once borders alloww. Which is probably gonna actually work out well with them joining the NRL the following year when we'll presumably be back in Auckland.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Redcliffe have cut ties.

I suspect you will based somewhere in AUS, and Reggie's need to play somewhere, same state as firsts it should be.

Maybe Gosford with Wyong Roos the Reggie's, you would think something is in motion

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Redcliffe have cut ties.

I suspect you will based somewhere in AUS, and Reggie's need to play somewhere, same state as firsts it should be.

Maybe Gosford with Wyong Roos the Reggie's, you would think something is in motion
Ah didn't realise Redcliffe had done that. Guess they want to concentrate on gearing up for 2023. Doesn't make much sense to me really though, you think having an NRL club there next season would be a good thing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Amicable depart, contract was always dependant the NRL licence.

Hence a partner ship with East's, maybe Jets or Wyong until you can run your own again depends where firsts get based.

But decisions need to be made.