What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to Re-sign? - priorities

stuke

Bench
Resigning FUI is a liability. he would have to come cheap and be paid on appearances.

while he does provide that aggression and mongrel that we want from our forwards, due to his past indiscretions, he is likely to spend a lot of time suspended while ever the the current judicial sytem is in place.

Widders is the type of player who can turn a grand final. I am sorry some of you guys feel the need to put him down but he is a proven winner. He may yet re-sign but the money is on him being a knight next year or god forbid a titan. The titans would deadset sign everyone of your off contract players if you gave them the chance.

yy_cheng

Coach
Benny hasn't got the footwork of the Lyon, Gasnier, Tonga, etc but he has the size with decent speed with one other thing.........Grothe outside of him.

He has to try and run onto the ball with pace between the wing and centre and pop passes away to Grothe. That's what his job should be.

No matter how crap Gidley was/is, he could always manage to put Tahu away and that is what Ben should focus on first.

They did this well last year.

Roy

Juniors
I think you blokes will end up with Kurt gidley, knights wanted mullen more than him (witch im very happy with) and there was a piece in newcastles paper today saying the club is nearing the end of the cap.

Kidley will defiantly give you more than Morris will at 5/8 an I think he an Tim will go very well together.

I also heard that widders will almost defiantly come to Newcastle on a small contract just to stay with BS.

Utey

Coach
stuke said:
Resigning FUI is a liability. he would have to come cheap and be paid on appearances.

while he does provide that aggression and mongrel that we want from our forwards, due to his past indiscretions, he is likely to spend a lot of time suspended while ever the the current judicial sytem is in place.

Rarely do players sign on appearance fee's. They want security and who doesnt. Missing Fui thats for sure. Rd 6 he will be back (we have the bye).

Hellsy

Immortal
newmanj said:
I have it on good authority that Ben Smith HAS re-signed. Wait and See.

Excellent news!!!
I knew he was close, but if it has actually happened I am -> :D :D :D :D :D

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Roy said:
I think you blokes will end up with Kurt gidley, knights wanted mullen more than him (witch im very happy with) and there was a piece in newcastles paper today saying the club is nearing the end of the cap.

Kidley will defiantly give you more than Morris will at 5/8 an I think he an Tim will go very well together.

Are you sure? Johns and Kurt Gidley are best of mates, I can't see Kurt coming down to Parra if Johns has anything to say about it.

If it was true, I could handle that. Just as long as his useless brother was left behind, and it didn't cost us Jamie Lyon. Kurt's playing pretty well at the moment.

Haynzy

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised to see B.Smith end up at Lock if Delaney goes well in the centres. Smith reminds me of Steve Menzies.

Pazza

First Grade
The_Coach said:
Ben can't create his own holes or breaks, he needs Timmy to do it. Great centres get around their man of their own skill. Tahu, Gasnier, Hodges, Tonga, Lyon, and even Inglis can create something without the need for their 6 or 7 to throw them a brilliant pass.

Ben uses size and power to create points. So does Grothe. Just cause they dont dance around opponents doesnt mean they arn't good players. Do you know how lucky we are to have 2 players of the Strength size and athletic ability of Grothe and B Smith! Ben Smith has a great strike rate in both PL and NRL. He definately knows he way to the tryline.

All the players you have listed have a great set of halves inside them. Hodges had such a fanastic game against us because Lockyer was on fire.

Anyone can run wide and catch a awesome pass from Timmy to score.

That is not true. It is a real art to time and angle your run to perfection to recieve that pass from your play maker. This understanding between Half and centre is unique, Tim and Ben have that. They played in the lower grades together. Thats why Tim goes to ben, because Tim knows Ben can get the job done. Why mess with that?

Hellsy

Immortal
Pazza said:
Ben uses size and power to create points. So does Grothe. Just cause they dont dance around opponents doesnt mean they arn't good players. Do you know how lucky we are to have 2 players of the Strength size and athletic ability of Grothe and B Smith! Ben Smith has a great strike rate in both PL and NRL. He definately knows he way to the tryline.

All the players you have listed have a great set of halves inside them. Hodges had such a fanastic game against us because Lockyer was on fire.

That is not true. It is a real art to time and angle your run to perfection to recieve that pass from your play maker. This understanding between Half and centre is unique, Tim and Ben have that. They played in the lower grades together. Thats why Tim goes to ben, because Tim knows Ben can get the job done. Why mess with that?

Agree Pazza!!! :clap: :clap:

parra pete

Referee
Let Widders go..He is past his use by date IMO.
Great bloke, great team and Clubman, but no longer an effective strike weapon.

Utey

Coach
parra pete said:

He would be a better starting player in the form he is in. Still makes some good meters.

Stagger eel

Staff member
parra pete said:

definitely not the same player as last year, that's for sure.

shiftysmith

Juniors
please tell me you are joking about widders,ffs he has only played 3 games and dont you realise that he is at his best when the forward pack is dominating and have they dominated one game yet?you dont go from being a brillant impact player to a sh*t player in one off season,just be patient.and to say he is past his use by date is telling me you have no idea..

Stagger eel

Staff member
shiftysmith said:
please tell me you are joking about widders,ffs he has only played 3 games and dont you realise that he is at his best when the forward pack is dominating and have they dominated one game yet?you dont go from being a brillant impact player to a sh*t player in one off season,just be patient.and to say he is past his use by date is telling me you have no idea..

form slumps are as common as red jelly beans, alot of great player go through them at times in the careers, champion players come out of it, we'll see what sort of a champion Deano is on the field in the coming weeks, Personally I think he can beat the slump

BG

Juniors
Jeez, you blokes have short memories. Widders had exactly the same start last season. Overweight and underperforming and was even dropped. He came back a couple of rounds later showing a lot less pudding and a lot more magic, and was one of the most exciting players in the comp for the rest of the season. How about we see how he is going in a couple of months before tossing him in the has-been basket? Or would that be expecting too much common sense around here?

eels1986

Juniors
Widders is playing fine. Making plenty of meters but not breaking the line. He needs his other forwards to dominate so he can as well - team game!!

yy_cheng

Coach
Everyone expects that magic pudding to break the line all the time.

As a workaholic 2nd rower, he does a good job. Good and safe in defence. Good yards in rucking it out.

When the chances come to break the line, he'll go through. Patience.

Stagger eel

Staff member
BG said:
Jeez, you blokes have short memories. Widders had exactly the same start last season. Overweight and underperforming and was even dropped. He came back a couple of rounds later showing a lot less pudding and a lot more magic, and was one of the most exciting players in the comp for the rest of the season. How about we see how he is going in a couple of months before tossing him in the has-been basket? Or would that be expecting too much common sense around here?

by his own admission, Deano has stated that hid fitter now than what he was this time last year, he's doing ok but he's not his explosive best at the moment. I think it's only a matter of time that he will click.

Sterling

Juniors
shiftysmith said:

exactly !!!!