What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to watch in the Inaugural Super 14 Comp

Thomas

First Grade
Dunno about the teams, although the Canes and the Cheifs are two to watch. The Force could also be a darkhorse....and QLD may force the odd upset. The Saffa teams will selfdestruct as normal.

Players? I'm fairly keen on watching Digby Ioane play. He impressed me last year in the QLD RU Club Grand Final.....will be a Wallaby....maybe even this year.

Scott

Bench
One to watch is Rodney So'oiailo. Not as a player, but as a leader. He could develop into a very very good leader...

bayrep

Juniors
It has to be the 2 new teams I think Perth will do all right maybe middle of the table. Not sure about the SA new team havent heard to much about them. But I am keen to see how they go.

Woods99

Juniors
I think the Force will do okay, provided they have a reasonable run with injuries. They really need to keep their nucleus of experienced forwards together for the whole campaign.

This could be the year for a South African team, judging by the performance of SA in the last couple of years in the Sevens and the Under 21s.

I suspect that the Saffers don't take the Super 14 as seriously as us and the NZers, but if that changes, they will do some damage.

Southern Warrio

Juniors
For the highlanders my three players to watch are

Paul Williams who was an absolute star when he made his super 12 debut in 2003 as a ninteen year old before he broke his leg. If he can get back to the form he was in back then he could be a contendor for the All Blacks fullback jersey.

Chris Smylie played his first full NPC last year and played so well that he was the only non All Black to be nominated for the young player of the year award. He is a very strong runner, with an ever improving passing game. He will have a very good battle with Jimmy Cowan for the highlanders halfback role.

My last player to watch is Otago flanker Tim Boys, Boys played the 2005 NPC for SOuthland on loan and won their player of the year award. He plays a very similar style to Richie McCaw infact his similarities with McCaw don't end with his style of play. His family used to own a farm right next the McCaw's and he went to the same school as Richie (Otago Boys high school).

Scott

Bench
SW - some good points there. Paul Williams is a superb player. It will be interesting to see if he can get back to the level he was at. Chris Smylie too is a very good young player, certainly one to watch. I can't see Tim Boys getting much game time due to Newby and Blackie being preferred.

One question for you SW - who will play #8? Andrew Blowers I presume??

Southern Warrio

Juniors
Blowers should get the 8 role, although Filipo Levi has apparently slimmed down abit and did play quite well in the first trial game. It will be between those two.

It would be great if Williams could re-gain the form he had three years ago and maybe even improve on it, he could be a longshot for a world cup fullback. When he did play for us he was a real steadying influence at the back, you knew that he would take all the high balls, make his tackles and get through the opposition from time to time. He is a player that suits the Highlanders well. If he can show some good form in the next couple of weeks then heres hoping that he will get the fullback jersey ahead of Blair.

Don't be suprised if Boys starts the season on the openside, Blackie is under an injury cloud. so even if he is ready for the first game Cooper will probarbly go with the player who has had the rugby under his belt.

aussies1st

Staff member
Teams to watch for clearly the 2 new sides in the comp.
NSW look even better than last year with Sailor and a new found depth at number 10. If the comp becomes forward pak based NSW are gone as Dunning and Baxter were shown up by England.

Qld with Barnes and some exciting youngsters are another to watch for.
Brumbies always a team to look out for with all there wallabies.

Overseas Crusaders and Blues as usual.

Gruenen

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Teams to watch for clearly the 2 new sides in the comp.
NSW look even better than last year with Sailor and a new found depth at number 10. If the comp becomes forward pak based NSW are gone as Dunning and Baxter were shown up by England.

Qld with Barnes and some exciting youngsters are another to watch for.
Brumbies always a team to look out for with all there wallabies.

Overseas Crusaders and Blues as usual.

Hey Aussie1st,

Yes I have to agree with you on your coments, I do like the look of the Waratahs, they have a good backline, I 'd probably rate them on par with the Hurricanes, but yes your right about the forwards, they could struggle there. I wouldn't discount the Brumbies making the top four, all round they're a pretty balanced side. The Red's should improve on their ranking from last year, the game against the Waratahs in February will give us a good indication on how they will perform for the remainder of the series.
The dark horse in this series, has to be the Force, whilst John Mitchell did not expose his fully talented squad against the Cheetahs recently, I expect a tough performance when they face the Crusaders at Olympic Park in Melbourne. The Crusaders in the top 4. I have heard so much been said about the Chiefs, they have secured some excellent acquisitions from the Auckland Blues, which probably means that the Blues, maybe in the running for a top 4 spot.
The South African teams are also a bit of a darkhorse, but I have heard that the Bulls maybe the team to watch, from the news that I have read from a similar South African Rugby based forum, it seems that the Bulls have the front running from the South African S14 Franchises.

Thomas said:
Dunno about the teams, although the Canes and the Cheifs are two to watch. The Force could also be a darkhorse....and QLD may force the odd upset. The Saffa teams will selfdestruct as normal.

Players? I'm fairly keen on watching Digby Ioane play. He impressed me last year in the QLD RU Club Grand Final.....will be a Wallaby....maybe even this year.

I bet you the Brisbane guys who sign with the Force will be in the Wallabies soon .
Guys like Tarjon Mailata, Josh Fuimaono, Te Moana, Stepleton and Digby Ioane will shine this year .

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I'll be watching it for sure...2 weeks away...cant wait:D
I think the canes are a team to watch....especially now that Tana has time to concentrate on the super14 and the air new zealand cup.
And as always the can-tabs are always one to watch...i think the chiefs will do something this year also.:cool:

meltiger

First Grade
Woods99 said:
I think the Force will do okay

Not a chance.

They were utterly shi.ttehouse last night.

Such a real shame too. :roll:

Would have been beaten by 70 if the Crusaders could have held onto the ball.

aussies1st

Staff member
Pre season matches don't mean much. The Brumbies lost all 3 and won the comp in 2004.

meltiger

First Grade
Was more their pack. Other than one piece of play, close to the try line - they really were terrible.

Question for the Qld'ers on here .... What's the go with the QLD home jersey??? Blue and Yellow?!

Iafeta

Referee
The Canes I think will do fairly well this year. They gave the Brumbies a solid touching up in the old home town of Masterton last weekend.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
The crusaders will also do well...gave the force a hiding...but really...pre season games mean nothen....i just hate the force cos of their coach

The Canes are the team to watch this year...Jason Eaton will be a player to watch as will all of the Canes Bakline...bloody awesome with Umaga, Smith, Gear tearing the other teams to shreds.

Tialata is another to watch...a consistent prop with excellent technique.

skeepe

Immortal
Brumbies will win it this year, lead by the world's best player George Gregan and future Australian coach Laurie Fisher.

They were thrashed in both trials, surely an omen that this will again be their year.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Chris Smylie from the Highlanders.
Had a huge NPC last year & could force Jimmy Cowan onto the bench, awesome potential. Plays a very similar game to Bryron Kelleher.