What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was the better fijian flyer...Tuqiri or Nadruku?

Who was the better flyin fijian?

• Noa

Votes: 70 57.9%
  • Lote

Votes: 51 42.1%

• Total voters

Azkatro

First Grade
Tuqiri IMO. Practically became the beginning and end of the Broncos and QLD outside backs by the age of 21.

PB

Bench
Panjabi said:
Not entirely correct. Noa was acquitted after being charged with assaulting three women, one of them his wife after downing 28 Schooners and half a bottle of wine at a bar in Canberra.
That was the reason the Raiders released him and he ended his career at the Cowboys.

Thats pretty much spot on.

And i'll have Lote, and he will still get better when he returns to league. And Noa is, as above states, clearly a tosser.

Panjabi said:
Not entirely correct. Noa was acquitted after being charged with assaulting three women, one of them his wife after downing 28 Schooners and half a bottle of wine at a bar in Canberra.
That was the reason the Raiders released him and he ended his career at the Cowboys.

I believe there were 6-8 Bourbon & Cokes too. Whoever was keeping count did well.

I remember a quote from the Souths camp (one of the board members at the time, un-named) which made the papers. After Nadruku was released and looking for other clubs, the Souths board member was asked by a journo if they were interested. The response..

"Souths couldn't sign a player like Nadruku - he left half a bottle of wine"

In response to the thread question, Nadruku. Lote was a great winger in his league days, but an even better Rugby Union Winger. Nadruku was a revelation at the time, and one of the most blockbusting wingers up until his day. Both of those guys were devastating, Another flyer, Kenny Nagas, was just plain brilliant. Unfortunately continual injury prevented him from being a great.

Darth Bobo

Was Noa one of the Fijians signed up after a Sevens tournament?

I think he was, the captain of the Fijians played a blinder of a tournament but didn't get signed because he was too old and blind in one eye, I think there were 3 or 4 players from that team signed but Noa was the only one to crack first grade.

Panjabi

Juniors
Darth Bobo said:
Was Noa one of the Fijians signed up after a Sevens tournament?

I think he was, the captain of the Fijians played a blinder of a tournament but didn't get signed because he was too old and blind in one eye, I think there were 3 or 4 players from that team signed but Noa was the only one to crack first grade.

Noa was spotted by the Raiders at a Rugby 7s tournament, and one of the moments that captured attention was, in the Final of the tournament and with Fiji trailing, a backline movement began deep in their own half with Noa who was playing centre receiving the ball and without even looking, throwing the ball between his legs straight into the bread basket of the winger who raced the length of the field to score and win the tournament for Fiji.

Noa also introduced Ruben Wiki to Kava, something that all Raiders fans will forever be grateful for, as its healing powers aided Wiki's rehab in order for him to lace on the boots for the Raiders one last time at the 1 v 8 semi final in 2004 against the Roosters.

HevyDevy

Coach
Raider_Azz said:
well there ya go... i was a young lad at the time so obviously my memory is a little hazy. thanks for clearing it up.

Noa's was a little hazy too apparently

Raider_69

Post Whore
Nagas was a special talent too... handling errors and injured cruel his career in the later stages but early on he was just as good as Noa

still remember the swerve he put on Wilson after the Osborne around the corner offload (i think it was him) in the 94, grandfinal, his foot work and pace just left him for dead.

Mullins, Noa, Meinga, Wiki, Nagas... we'll never see a more potent and damaging backline ever imo... pace to burn with mullins, noa and kenny, individual skills beyond any other at the time, and topped off by brute strength of wiki and meninga... those were the days

Chips

Juniors
Nagas was Aboriginal though so it sort of means he doesnt meet the criteria, I remember when Nagas scored a 99m try against St George, went from the goalline to the tryline weaving thru all of the Dragons...similar running style to the Peach in full flight

Raider_69

Post Whore
yea i know nagas wasnt fijian, ment to quote Bring back John Fifita's comments on nagas at the start of that post

Chips

Juniors
yeah haha wasnt directed at you....only the second bit was when i joined in admiration for Kenny....he deserved to play for NSW much more than he did

simon says

First Grade
Lote by plenty.,......Noa was good,but Lote could/can be anything.

I dare any Raider fan to vote against Nadruku.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
Lote by plenty.,......Noa was good,but Lote could/can be anything.

I dare any Raider fan to vote against Nadruku.

why would we? noa was better and over 50% (ie the majority) support that :)

Noa Nandruku was an amazing athlete especially in the famous union game with the pass under his legs to win the game, then he came to league and was a great skillfull winger who could make something out of nothing

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I remember in 93 when raiders were versing Manly at Brookvale and Noa put the goose step on half the team and scored a mad try and made 2 try saving tackles. I have it on tape.

Mr Saab

Referee
Raider_69 said:
why would we? noa was better and over 50% (ie the majority) support that :)

majority of support mainly due to the fact that lote went to union.