What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the QLD Origin Fullback?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhys Wesser

• Clinton Schifcofske

• Total voters

Parrasque

Juniors

I am from NSW and i am worried with what options QLD have at number 1.
Fullback will be the highly contested position, with likely normal fullbacks to be on the wings aswell.

So, Who will be Queensland's fullback?

RABK

Referee
I think Slater will get it and deservedly so. Schifcofske won't even get a look in, Wesser will fail to retain his spot IMO and Bowen will be used on the bench. Bennett will probally not select Hunt yet. They have got some selection dillema's coming up in their backline. Players like....

Slater, Wesser, Bowen, Tonga, Hegarty, Berrigan, Tate, Hannay, Hodges, Bott, Williams and Bowman.

I'd go

1- Billy Slater
2- Brent Tate
3- Shaun Berrigan
4- Willie Tonga
5- Shannon Hegarty

ByRd

First Grade
Id say Slater but there backline is going to be awsome, it could look many ways but id go with:

1) Slater
2) Hegarty/Hodges
3) Berrigan
4) Tonga
5) Tate/Bott/Williams

*Bowen off the bench

skeepe

Immortal
Surely R&BK even you are not so stupid as to think that Leon Bott is in Origin contention already? 3 games and already in Origin contention you are easily pleased.

As for saying that Schifcofske will not get a look-in, please explain why you believe this. He is easily the #1 positional defender in the game and has a great attack. It is probably a bit of bias creeping in here, but I honestly believe Schif has more to offer at the back than Bowen or Wesser, and Slater could play equally well on the wing or at fullback.

1. Schifcofske
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Berrigan
5. Tonga

That offers far more potency in attack and provides an extremely reliable defence.

RABK

Referee
skeepe said:
Surely R&BK even you are not so stupid as to think that Leon Bott is in Origin contention already? 3 games and already in Origin contention you are easily pleased.

As for saying that Schifcofske will not get a look-in, please explain why you believe this. He is easily the #1 positional defender in the game and has a great attack. It is probably a bit of bias creeping in here, but I honestly believe Schif has more to offer at the back than Bowen or Wesser, and Slater could play equally well on the wing or at fullback.

1. Schifcofske
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Berrigan
5. Tonga

That offers far more potency in attack and provides an extremely reliable defence.

Mate not every post i make is an attack on the raiders. :roll: Since his sole game when has Schif got a look in? He on form warrants selection but he is obviously out of favour as he was killing it in 2003 yet didn't get selected. As for bott, he will have played 10 games by then and will improve further. His speed is electric and Bennett is the coach. ;-)

RABK

Referee
1. Schifcofske
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Berrigan
5. Tonga

Schif in for bott and suddenly it's a whole lot better backline? They will not select Tonga on the wing...Tate is much more likely to play there. Slater has to be a shoe in for fullback.

Ghoulies

Bench
Also Botts hails from somewhere in West Sydney.

I'd like to see....

1) Slater
2) Tate
3) Tonga
4) Berrigan
5) Williams

14) Bowen

Kiwi

First Grade
The backline will look something like this

1 - Hunt
2 - Slater
3 - Tate
4 - Berrigan
5 - Hegarty/Hodges/Tonga

skeepe

Immortal
Red and Blue Knight said:
1. Schifcofske
2. Slater
3. Tate
4. Berrigan
5. Tonga

Schif in for bott and suddenly it's a whole lot better backline? They will not select Tonga on the wing...Tate is much more likely to play there. Slater has to be a shoe in for fullback.

My question is this, and please forgive my green goggles as I say this: Why put Slater at fullback when he will be just as effective on the wing? Why not have the best positional fullback in the league back there? Schifcofske has saved the Raiders countless times with his excellent positional play, something you would have seen some of in last weekend's match.

Now I'm not saying he will be selected, in many ways I agree with you because it seems that for whatever reason the Queensland selectors have marked his papers "never to represent again" no matter how good or bad he is playing.

Ghoulies

Bench
As for bott, he will have played 10 games by then and will improve further. His speed is electric and Bennett is the coach. ;-)

Isn't Hagan still QLD coach?

Or do you know something the rest of us dont? :shock:

ByRd

First Grade
Im also thinking that Hunt is ready & if he keeps playing like he did against the chooks he would press hard for that spot, plus his connection with Lockyer & most likely Seymour would help him. Slater would move to the wing with Tate being on the other end & Berrigan & Tonga in the centres.

skeepe

Immortal
Sure, go for Hunt if you prefer a NZ fullback who lets the ball bounce. I just honestly don't think Hunt has shown enough consistency to warrant selection.

It should be out of Slater and Schifcofske in my opinion.

RABK

Referee
Ghoulies said:
As for bott, he will have played 10 games by then and will improve further. His speed is electric and Bennett is the coach. ;-)

Isn't Hagan still QLD coach?

Or do you know something the rest of us dont? :shock:

No it was just a stupid error on my behave, yes Hagan is coach. #-o

Although word is that Hagan is considering stepping down due to our poor performances. I also heard that our management is placing some pressure on him.

Ghoulies

Bench
skeepe said:
Sure, go for Hunt if you prefer a NZ fullback who lets the ball bounce. I just honestly don't think Hunt has shown enough consistency to warrant selection.

It should be out of Slater and Schifcofske in my opinion.

To be fair to Hunt he was cramping at the time.

I cant see Hunt in the hunt (sorry) for the fullback slot this year but maybe next year.

Spike

First Grade
1 Wesser
2 Slater
3 Tate
4 Tonga
5 Schifcofske g/k
9 Bowen?

14 Bowen/Hodges/Berrigan

Unless I'm fogetting someone, I don't think QLD will want to go into the origin series with Lockyer as their first choice goalkicker based on his form and dislike for the role, hence Schif on the wing. Hannay's form around origin time may warrant his selection but that's who I would go with.

skeepe

Immortal
Spike said:
1 Wesser
2 Slater
3 Tate
4 Tonga
5 Schifcofske g/k
9 Bowen?

14 Bowen/Hodges/Berrigan

Unless I'm fogetting someone, I don't think QLD will want to go into the origin series with Lockyer as their first choice goalkicker based on his form and dislike for the role, hence Schif on the wing. Hannay's form around origin time may warrant his selection but that's who I would go with.

While I'd love to see Schifcofske there, you've obviously forgotten that Cameron Smith WILL be the #9 and he can kick a goal or two.

RABK

Referee
Your kidding right? He'd get killed...it would just leave NSW another target to run at. Imagine Hindmarsh running at him. Smith will be Hooker.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would go

1. Bowen/Hunt (whoever is in the best form at the time)
2. Tate
3. Tonga
4. Berrigan (he is the Australian centre guys!)
5. Slater (he carved up there last year)

I would definately have someone like a Bowen type of player on the bench, maybe Casey MacGuire?

Latest posts