What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Test Halfback?

JBW1983

Juniors
As far as I can see, there are two likely alternatives and one massive smokey.

Orford and Johns are the 2 most likely options. Orford is the form halfback of the competition so far, while a Johns/Lockyer combination might be considered the most skillful of all time and a big promotional drawcard for crowds and ratings.

However, given the classy form of Brett Seymour this season and especially on friday night (which caused me plenty of pain being a Roosters fan) as well as his combination with Lockyer and other Broncos who are likely to be in the team, does anybody else out there consider him a shot?

Spike

First Grade
Origin yes, but not for a test

I'd say on current form Orford should be the test halfback, but I tend to believe Kimmorley will get it

Phillips

Referee
Matt Orford, no one else deserves the #7 jersey more then him..

Seymour should be no where near the test jersey (not yet anyway) but with a bias coach who knows....

JBW1983

Juniors
Yeah that's the whole point though... Bennett is the coach and will have very little time to prepare the team, isn't it possible that he'd be tempted into sticking to a settled halves combo? I agree it would be unfair to the better individual halfbacks out there but it's got to be possible

RABK

Referee
I think Breet Kimmorley will get it. He just seems like the player they pick whenever the halfback spot is vacant. Orford is similar to Schifcoske in the way he seems to get discarded when selection time comes. Must be something with living down that way. Gower has slipped in the pecking order and Johns needs more time to get his game going, although i wouldn't be suprised if Johns was selected. I heard that at the Club captains dinner earlier this week that Wayne was talking to Johns about what a halfs combo he thought he and Locky would make.

JBW1983

Juniors
Yeah Kimmorley had one of the better games I've seen from him in recent years against the Eels, his kicking game (as well as a few tough breaks for parra) was probably the difference. He'd do a good job thats for sure.

ozboy

Juniors
Brett Kimmorley will most likely be the test halfback, given his role in Australia's Tri-nations victory last year.

As I said before, there are still 3 rounds after this one to determine who is the most in-form halfback.

You never know, Andrew Johns might play a couple of blinders in the next few weeks and force his way back into the team, or Matt Orford might continue his impressive start to the season and leave the selectors with no choice.

Johns Magic

Referee
It's an embarassment of riches to be honest. It would be very harsh to take the position off Kimmorley in my opinion, he has done so well in the past.

Phillips

Referee
Johns Magic said:
It's an embarassment of riches to be honest. It would be very harsh to take the position off Kimmorley in my opinion, he has done so well in the past.

yes, the past, but on current form Matt Orford deserves to be picked...

Foz

Bench
As it stands Kimmorley and Orford have both played 2 matches and both have been close to the best player on the field in both games.
Kimmorley's experience will get him the gig.

Orford has deserved a shot for a long time now but Kimmorly will get the gig as he is the incumbet , like most Aussie teams it is harder to get in than get dropped

raidar

Juniors
If Orford keeps playing the way he has then I can't see the Australian selecters not picking him.

aenima1

Juniors
Theres no way serymour will get it. Even if bennit did want him in (which i dont think he would anyway). Kimmorly will probably get it, I think orford is the best player for the job right now though.

RABK

Referee
Orford for sure.There is no current halfback close to this bloke.

Yeh there is. He is just in superb form but when in form the other contenders are just as good.

daslacker

Juniors
Red and Blue Knight said:
Orford for sure.There is no current halfback close to this bloke.

Yeh there is. He is just in superb form but when in form the other contenders are just as good.

???

There's someone better than orford???

Mate there is no other halfback I'd prefer than orford.Johns,kimmorley,
sherwin,gower are all up there no doubt.But I think orford take it up
another notch if given the test spot.He would give the best roll on in
attack than any other half IMO.

RABK

Referee
There's someone better than orford???
Yes when both fully fit Kimmorley and Johns are the two best halfbacks since Stuart.

Mate there is no other halfback I'd prefer than orford.Johns,kimmorley,
You are not a selector so it doesn't matter who YOU prefer.

But I think orford take it up
another notch if given the test spot.He would give the best roll on in
attack than any other half IMO.
Maybe but with if he has a quite game or pulls of a few critical errors? You can't be so sure he will deliver at this standard, i thought Kimmorley outplayed him in the 2004 City vs Country game by far. Kimmorley is the incumbent half and will get it, Johns will have it back by seasons end.

Latest posts