What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well that’s a valid point, but why can’t I say Toovey? He’s probably the pick of who’s available. I rate Griffin higher than Brown too, and agree he’s around a 5 or 6/10 coach. I’d rate Griffin 6.5/7 but think it’s a maniac like Toovs they need to whip them into shape.

If Gould can fix recruitment it’ll go a long way. For too long Warriors and their fans have accepted mediocrity. Even in the last few pages of this topic which I read, are many fans feeling positive about Brown and Gould. I think you’re fantasizing about Gould’s influence. Most people think he’s a buffoon. I’m not discounting he has pull in the NRL but think you’re over estimating it, AND there’s a big difference between luring players to Penrith or Sydney city and Auckland.

You (management) have to have higher hopes and standards if you want to win. Forget making the finals or any other metric, your aim should be to win premierships! Yes, realistically that isn’t happening under Brown/Gould and they MAY put them in a better position to win, but then what? Hope a better coach is available when he leaves to finish the job? Hmm, Brown is a very unexpired signing imo, but with Gould’s input it MAY work.

You're talking a big game.

Toovey, as someone said, it's not just us overlooking him. It's everyone. Just because he might be a ranter and a raver and 'hard' doesn't mean he'll fix us. It could well mean he goes worse. I'm not sure, but clearly bosses at NRL clubs are sure and they don't want him.

Some Warriors fans accept mediocrity, that's true. Not on here they don't. We are regularly outspoken. And increasingly in recent years, so are fans at supporters forums etc.

Gus Gould, for all his weaknesses (and there are a fair few) is the best football brain in the business. Getting him is a coup, and if he's coming over here I believe he's motivated to do well. Penrith are flying since he got there. He was the brains of successful Rabbitohs, Roosters, NSW teams. We're very lucky to get him. Will it guarantee success? No. And is Nathan Brown a super coach? Also no. But if you'd been paying attention, no one is coming here that is. Especially not during COVID. At some stage we're going to have to allow a coach to develop and become great, like Ivan did here. Maybe Griffin might've been better but as you'd know, Gould and Griffin isn't happening. And I'd rather have Gould.

And you're dead wrong on the aim part. Of course, it sounds all powerful and professional to say we need to aim to win premierships, not make finals. Obviously that's the end game. But that's rubbish to say forget making the finals and shows a complete lack of understanding. Nathan Brown said it yesterday too. Clubs who win GFs make finals in the years before. They get a feel for what it's like to play in big games, and win those games. They don't turn up for years out of the 8 then blast all the way through. They go to finals, go close, maybe go close again then find out how to win. We need to do that. We've played in one finals match in 9 years, and lost it convincingly. We'll need to play in 2-3 finals series' with largely the same cattle, to get to winning the big dance. Look at 2011. We had played finals in 2007, 08, 10 then got to the GF in 11. The winning culture is completely absent here and it needs to be built over a number of years by people who know how, and know it's a patience game not a throw money at it and win straight away game.

Rich102

Staff member
League guru Phil Gould says he won’t stop thinking about how to make the Warriors better.

The league administrator, coach and commentator has come on board at the Warriors to work as a consultant.

Gould spoke to the media on Tuesday and said making the Warriors a better team will be his top priority.

“It will be dependent on Covid and the bubble over the next 12 months, we’re all waiting to see what happens between Australia and New Zealand and just how convenient travel might be,” Gould said.

“That’s the job I’ve been given, that’s what my passion is and there won’t be a moment where I won’t be thinking of ways where we can improve.

“But all of that will be designed around what the coaches’ needs are, what the recruitment needs are, what the commercial needs are and their relationships between all sorts of organisations within New Zealand.”

Gould will look at several areas of the Warriors, including improving the relationships between the club, New Zealand Rugby League and Auckland Rugby League.

He’ll look to set up an academy, to help bring players through, which he did at the Panthers and the Penrith club is currently reaping the rewards of that.

“I would like to see all NRL clubs have development programmes,” he said.

“Our programme at the Panthers was to develop from within.

“It’s produced great results and we’re very proud of it.

“It’s a good model for every NRL club, it doesn’t have to always be on that grand scale, but it will be exciting to see whether we can adapt those philosophies to the New Zealand situation and their own development programmes and hopefully we’re developing a lot of Warriors players for the future.

"Hopefully the perspective of the Warriors in New Zealand is so strong that kids want to grow up and be a Warrior, they want to play for the Warriors and they want to be in this programme.”

Other than giving feedback on recruitment and coaching, it will be a while before Gould’s work on the Warriors bears fruit and he says his first task will be too fully understand the league landscape in New Zealand.

“It’s probably a mission of discovery at the moment,” he said.

“We’re probably limited by Covid and waiting to see when we can open up the borders and I can get across to New Zealand more readily.

“I’d like to be there as regular as possible over the next 12 months at least, just to get an idea on how the club is situated, how it works, the relationships with New Zealand Rugby League and other areas of New Zealand.

“For me, developing pathways and developing talent is an important part of the long-term and sustainable success of any club.”

This is clearly not a hobby project for Gould, he’s committed to the Warriors long term and says he’s even prepared to spent two weeks in isolation in a New Zealand hotel if need be.

“If it means that initially I’ve got to go into quarantine, then that’s what I’ll have to do, to get in there and see the people I need to see,” he said.

“But look at modern technology, I’m talking to 30-40 people now.

“I have great faith in Cameron (George, Warriors CEO) to be able to run the business, he knows his job extremely well and a lot of the time it’s going to be advice, feedback and someone to lean on, when they make decisions going forward.

“Nathan (Brown, incoming Warriors coach) is living here in Australia, I’m not sure when he intends to move to New Zealand, but he and I will have a number of meetings over the next couple of months, getting ready for the next off-season.”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...pend-every-waking-hour-improving-the-warriors