What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the Warriors new coach?

TheDMC

Bench
Sounds a big step in the right direction. I'm a bit wary of the term consultant for Gould. What does that really mean in terms of ow much time/energy he commits and his level of responsibility/accountability?

Xcalibre

Juniors
Oh Warriors what are you doing?! Send them to the asylum, they’re insane.

Definition of insanity: Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Keep hiring mediocre coaches, keep getting mediocre results. It’s not complicated.

I really want NZ to be successful but they just keep making insane choices. Gus might help, but he’s only a consultant. They need a very good COACH! Pity Payten doesn’t want to stay over there, he’s done an impressive job so far.

BLN2

Juniors
Oh Warriors what are you doing?! Send them to the asylum, they’re insane.

Definition of insanity: Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.

Keep hiring mediocre coaches, keep getting mediocre results. It’s not complicated.

I really want NZ to be successful but they just keep making insane choices. Gus might help, but he’s only a consultant. They need a very good COACH! Pity Payten doesn’t want to stay over there, he’s done an impressive job so far.

Who is an available, very good coach then? And don't say someone like Paul Green or Geoff Toovey...

I think Brown is a 6/10 coach, and Gould is an 8/10 appointment. So I'm giving this a 7/10 I guess! They are both great communicators, with massive NRL experience. We have nothing like that at the club currently, so I'm happy we have these 2 guys on the books. Gould and POS in recruitment, especially juniors should be a master stroke. Imagine getting a call from Phil Gould telling you to join the Warriors! Shit I would sign.

I'm not expecting us to be a top team any time soon, but can sleep alot easier knowing we should be in relatively safe hands now.

Hope Payten stays as assistant next year, but can see him getting the Cowboys gig.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Who is an available, very good coach then? And don't say someone like Paul Green or Geoff Toovey...

I think Brown is a 6/10 coach, and Gould is an 8/10 appointment. So I'm giving this a 7/10 I guess! They are both great communicators, with massive NRL experience. We have nothing like that at the club currently, so I'm happy we have these 2 guys on the books. Gould and POS in recruitment, especially juniors should be a master stroke. Imagine getting a call from Phil Gould telling you to join the Warriors! Shit I would sign.

I'm not expecting us to be a top team any time soon, but can sleep alot easier knowing we should be in relatively safe hands now.

Hope Payten stays as assistant next year, but can see him getting the Cowboys gig.

Well that’s a valid point, but why can’t I say Toovey? He’s probably the pick of who’s available. I rate Griffin higher than Brown too, and agree he’s around a 5 or 6/10 coach. I’d rate Griffin 6.5/7 but think it’s a maniac like Toovs they need to whip them into shape.

If Gould can fix recruitment it’ll go a long way. For too long Warriors and their fans have accepted mediocrity. Even in the last few pages of this topic which I read, are many fans feeling positive about Brown and Gould. I think you’re fantasizing about Gould’s influence. Most people think he’s a buffoon. I’m not discounting he has pull in the NRL but think you’re over estimating it, AND there’s a big difference between luring players to Penrith or Sydney city and Auckland.

You (management) have to have higher hopes and standards if you want to win. Forget making the finals or any other metric, your aim should be to win premierships! Yes, realistically that isn’t happening under Brown/Gould and they MAY put them in a better position to win, but then what? Hope a better coach is available when he leaves to finish the job? Hmm, Brown is a very unexpired signing imo, but with Gould’s input it MAY work.

Leber

Bench
Well that’s a valid point, but why can’t I say Toovey? He’s probably the pick of who’s available. I rate Griffin higher than Brown too, and agree he’s around a 5 or 6/10 coach. I’d rate Griffin 6.5/7 but think it’s a maniac like Toovs they need to whip them into shape.

I'm 'content' with Brown, but yes. Toovey and Griffin would have better options.

But theres no way Griffin and Gould would work together again and I do like the idea of Gould being on board.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
FMD, Geoff Toovey hasn't coached in like 5 years. There have been countless nrl jobs come up in that time and he hasn't gotten any of them. Does that not tell you anything?

I hope we give Brown at least a season before we start death riding him. Gould being in and around the club will be a bonus even if he isn't in a football capacity, just having access to that mind/knowledge/network will be valuable.

Brown was just on triple M and said that the expectation from him and the owners is for him to get the team to be a consistent finals team first before they can be in a position to win a comp

JJ

Immortal
Sounds a big step in the right direction. I'm a bit wary of the term consultant for Gould. What does that really mean in terms of ow much time/energy he commits and his level of responsibility/accountability?

think that’s it, we need him fully engaged or close... time will tell

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Interesting interview, thinks the fudamentals are sound to improve quickly.

Said Gus will not be coaching, but setting up all the pathways so they can keep more juniors, looking the NZ league, Auckland RL and perhaps an academy or something like that, so more the business side.

Interesting interview, thinks the fudamentals are sound to improve quickly.

Said Gus will not be coaching, but setting up all the pathways so they can keep more juniors, looking the NZ league, Auckland RL and perhaps an academy or something like that, so more the business side.

Brown is always good with the media.
Talked about developing CTH and Egan, with RTS developing in try and try assists. Good recruitment going on.
3 hour call with owner after talking with CEO after Payton pulled the pin, sorted out issues he had initially to pull out of race.
Was actually preparing for a Cowboys interview. Said to his wife they (Warriors) have some good kids and people there, she told him to call.

Gus plan sounds good, not sure how easy to set up in the current Covid environment.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm happy with the appointments. But then again, I like what Todd Payten is doing too. I think we can afford to be very cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: JJ

Blair

Coach
A key point in question about Gould's role. What other rugby league entity is paying him, and does that potentially conflict with his consultancy gig with us?

Also, didn't Brown initially turn down the head-coaching job? If so, what brought about the change?

A key point in question about Gould's role. What other rugby league entity is paying him, and does that potentially conflict with his consultancy gig with us?

Also, didn't Brown initially turn down the head-coaching job? If so, what brought about the change?
Brown apparently had a couple of issues that apparently got sorted in a 3 hour phone call with the owner apparently.
Never disclosed those issues.

Gould is a commentator/tv personality, players agent and had some new role at NRL around development.
He is wearing a few different hats.

Rich102

Staff member
Gould was in the process of setting up the player agency with his son. He has now shut-down the plans to concentrate on the Warriors and NRL pathways jobs. The NRL job could have benefits for us in the Pacific Islands.