What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather play?

Dazzling Darius

Juniors
Raiders or tigers? Who would you rather play?
Raiders
Pros – ​
• Wayne would have learnt a lot from the last time we played them without Jeremy Smith (who is in great form) and Beau Scott (a tackling machine).
• Will be coming into this game having won 7 on the trot. Surely they are due for a loss. A remarkable effort from Furner to keep them motivated for so long without letting the hype get to them, which leads to my next point.
• The hype surrounding this game against the tigers could backfire against the raiders as it will have the hysteria in Canberra of a Grand Final if they win.
• The last time we played I think they got about 14 sets in a row. A freak occurrence that couldn’t possibly happen again.
• Playing them in Sydney. I think this is a huge bonus for us.
Cons -​
• Our record against them (even though I’m not too fussed about records as there has been such a change in personnel and coaching staff that it has nothing to do with them).
• Playing the team that is riding “THE” wave as the eels did last year and have become the peoples favourite team (for those supporters out of the race).
• If their forwards dominate we seem to get flustered when we should be looking to give the ball some width and use our backrowers / centers to make some yards.
• Using the niggle that they often do against us tends to throw us off our game. We need to keep a cool head as shown against manly who tried everything they could to get us off our game.
Tigers
Pros -​
• When we played them earlier this year I think we really had their measure. Boyd running through marshall for his first try of the year brought tears of joy to my eyes.
• We have a far more dominating forward pack that works well for our game plan.
• Some of their players are under an injury cloud.
• Our rock solid defence to frustrate them into errors and poor options in attack.
• Saint Benny on twitter may have put farah off his game.
Cons -​
• If they beat raiders, they will have regained a lot of confidence.
• Their style of play (if the passes actually stick) could run us ragged. If this happens and they race away to an early lead (like they did against the roosters), we may find it hard to chase points.
• Saint Benny on twitter has fired farah up for the game of his life.
I am not really fussed as to who we play cause I am very confident that we will beat either of these teams. I would like though to play Canberra which would mean the tigers would be out in straight sets which would be a joy to watch.

The Nick

Bench
Who cares, we owe them both anyway. Tigers for 2005 and Raiders for just about every game the last 10 years.

All I know is I feel pity for the sorry team who thinks they are worthy enough to oppose us in the Prelims.

And may the lord have mercy on the 17 suckers who dare take their place against us at ANZ Stadium on October 3rd.

Divine

Bench
A win over the Raiders would be the far more satisfying, so I'm going with them. Besides I think the Tigers are busted mentally and are due for a shocker.
I'd also like to see the Raiders under some pressure. A preliminary final against us would do that nicely.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Blake Ayshford appears to have been diagnosed with glandular fever so if it wasn't sure already it is now
We're playing the Raiders

Deacon

First Grade
As much as I would like revenger for 2005, I with the vast majority believe itll be the faders at the SFS

Steel Dragon

Bench
Raiders.

We're gonna beat whoever we play, but I think it's better for the game if the raiders survive another week.

Dragon Dave

Bench
For starters, I think Wests will beat Canberra this week. The bubble will burst and the bounce of the ball won't go their way (again.) Let's remember, they beat Penrith by just a few coats of paint.

The Tigers are a good side when they're on their game. If they can put 2 tries on us early I think we would be up against it. On the flip side, if you can get a early try (or a few penalty goals...) we can strangle them out of the match and they will get frustrated.

To answer your question, I'd have to say Raiders. We have played them twice this year, once without 7 rep players, and once when their season was on the line and we had all put sewn up 1st place. To play them when WE have everything to play for a change would be interesting. You can only be 'up' for so long, and the Raiders matches against Brisbane and Penrith suggest to me that they are on their way down.

Either way, bring it on.

Ulysseus

Bench
I think Saints will be playing the Raiders.
Wests just have too much going against and the Raiders too much going for them.

They will be hard to beat in the preliminary final, however, so will Saints.
Let us not forget that, the "strangle the breath" out of Manly win was no accident or fluke, it was a clinical destruction of a team, it was predictable, it was barbaric, it was far from entertaining but it was effective like a moterf**ker.

As has been stated before, Canberra are unlikely to get the freak bounces etc, 40+ sets of 6 etc so that will even it out.
By the same token, Saints can't be complacent and hope to 2 shot their way to victory for this game, they will need to attack more regularly and jag a result when down Canberras end, as much as Canberra wont get their freak bounces, penalty count in their favor and 40+ sets of 6, Saints wont be able to hold them out for 80 minutes like they did Manly, and perhaps not even the 60 minutes they did to Canberra last time.

The key to victory is simple for Saints, score just over 18 points and then throw the wall up and make them try some seriously stupid sh*t.
The key is just as simple for Canberra, get an early lead and do something similar and bank on the fact Saints may not be able to come from too far behind.
Make no mistake though, and Canberra players and fans may already know this, the team they will face in the preliminary is one completely different to the one they faced twice previously, if Saints at any stage go beyond a three converted try lead then it is game over green machine.

to_ddeath

Coach
If 22 points didnt get the Riff over the line, then I reckon we might need as much as that or more.
Something in our game plan will have to vary slightly to beat the gayders...
I for one would prefer to play them, but you have to beat whoever it is in front of you to get to the
big one obviously...

T.

TheRev

First Grade
If Marshall & Ellis can play the 80 minutes then the Tigers are a chance, but they are missing both centres I believe.. not good.. Canberra are favourites, but Tigers have a reasonable record against them.

I'm confident we can beat either of them, im just looking forward to a nice injury toll on Friday Night, bash eachother boys.

LatK7

First Grade
I'd have to say the Raiders. If Saints can beat them it'd have them extremely confident for the big one. No easy task though...