What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather play?

Last night the Tigers were average, but keeping in mind they had several players with injury clouds over them. The fact they got through unscathed, gives them an extra week to recover.

You won't be playing the Tigers of last night, moreso a more fitter, helthier confident version.

I agree with the sentiments in here, if the Dragons let in at least 2 early tries, they could struggle to win the game. However if their defence can stifle the tigers early, and they get the first try, Tigers will panic and struggle to get the upper hand.

The Tigers had a smarter game plan last night, played wide of the Raiders props all night, effectively removing their input out of the game.

I wouldn't be surprise if a similar tactic is used to take the Dragons back row out of their match. A lot of teams don't rate the Tigers forwards and they do so at their own peril. Dragons need to prepare for their toughest forward battle yet. Not because their will be one, but because it will be essential for them to win. Tigers forwards aren't dominating (except Ellis and Galloway) but they are honest toilers and very fit, so they won't drop their intensity for the whole match. Tigers are always a good chance to outperform their opponents in the second half because of this.

Anyone who thinks it'll be a cakewalk is seriously kidding themselves. Just look at how many people in this thread predicted the raiders to win last night. Shows you a lot about the Tigers commitment and ability that their injury ravaged rabble could pick up a win in Canberra's home.

In all objectiveness, I really cannot think who will win this. The pre-match drama will focus on 2005 and that will be hard for the Dragons to ignore. The media will also be banging on about choking Dragons etc etc. The players will have to use that stuff as a motivator, not letting it create negativity in their heads. If they move away from what has worked so well all year they'll lose.

Nothing fancy, just good disciplined football and solid defence will win them the game. If your defence doesn't rush up at Marshall or Farah, they'll frustrate them.

Tend to agree.

First vs third for a place in the big one.

Can only hope ( and you have to assume it IS the case ) the players aren't thinking like some people, that it will be an easy game. I simply cannot see the players thinking this. Not even remotely. For this reason I am very confident. If I was a tigers fan I would also be confident though. Will be a cracker of a game.

ebbedfred

Bench
I noticed that the last 2 weeks the Tigers started very well, and as the game drew on they started to struggle and had to hold on. They didn't do it against the Roosters but did it against the Raiders...just. I think the first 20 mins of the game will be crucial. Unless the Tigers are more than 6 in front they could be in trouble. The Dragons usually play defensively to start the game, and build off that. I think these 2 strategies (if you call them that) suit the Dragons. If the Tigers go to an early lead the Tigers will try and defend and we know the Dragons will come at them. But if the Dragons hold out the Tigers early, the Tigers could panic and start to try risky things

That being said, the Tigers went into defensive mode once they were in front, and that does not suit their game. If they are behind I'm sure they'll play more attacking footy for 80 mins. I do think the Tigers will have to play better than the last 2 weeks to win, they'll have confidence after last week and will relish the underdog status again. Should be a great game with a big crowd, can't wait.

Drewbrees

Juniors
I thought the Raiders were ordinary Friday night and the Tiges had a fair bit go their way. I really think we would have to be off our game for them to beat us.

The Rosco

Bench
Interesting to read the comments of some here that the Tigers, NOT Balmain ( that would be as inbred dumb as calling your team Illawarra ) . . have no chance at all.
While it is a great thing to be confident, I'd be safe in saying you lot were confident in 05. and 04. and 03. and 06 . . .get the point ?
Remember the tears you shed in the stands as we brushed you aside to become the first J/V team to win a major title.
After reading some of the crap on here, do you lot honestly wonder why your fans are known as the most arrogant . . . with no real reason to be, so far.
Chill boys. It will be a great game. May the best side win.
Simple as that.
Don't let the "favourites" tag cloud your judgement. You are favourites to win the title each and every January.

The Major

Bench
Interesting to read the comments of some here that the Tigers, NOT Balmain ( that would be as inbred dumb as calling your team Illawarra ) . . have no chance at all.
While it is a great thing to be confident, I'd be safe in saying you lot were confident in 05. and 04. and 03. and 06 . . .get the point ?
Remember the tears you shed in the stands as we brushed you aside to become the first J/V team to win a major title.
After reading some of the crap on here, do you lot honestly wonder why your fans are known as the most arrogant . . . with no real reason to be, so far.
Chill boys. It will be a great game. MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN.
Simple as that.
Don't let the "favourites" tag cloud your judgement. You are favourites to win the title each and every January.

Dont worry......

We will.

saintzrule

Juniors
Chill boys. It will be a great game. May the best side win.
Simple as that.
That last line, are you the mad monks speechwriter? Last January it was Parra, the year before it was storm.You speak with forked tongue!:crazy:

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Saints, with the weeks break up their sleeve, will come out possessed. If Wests win it will be a credit to them, and deservedly so.

Too many indicators point to the Saints progressing thru. Bennett has his team right where he wants them regarding players form, fitness and ability to play-out the match plan to exacting proportions.

Tiger's won't have the petrol in the tank to take this game, nor the personel. We'll slowly squeeze them to death like some great, big, fat anaconda eating a billy goat.

Saints have unfinished business, Wests will be put out of business.

Big Norm

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tigers do have the personnel. Only Tuiaki and Moltzen are the key players missing from the Tigers team and they've been mising all year anyways.

Another week will help improve player fitness as well. They have 8 days between the Raiders game and the Dragons game, plus they play in Sydney so that gives them extra resting time. I don't think they'll be tired either.

As I said before, they'll be fitter, healthier and more confident. Dragons took them lightly once before in the finals. You all remember how that went.

If I were a dragons fan, I'd be very cautious about this match. Tigers have that unpredictable attack which can get them back into any game, and they can score the tries from inside their own half just as easily as from 10 out from the tryline.

Nothing wrong with bias towards your team norm, but if you're going to comment on your opponents, it pays to do a little research and show a smidge of level-headedness before you make dumb-arsed statements.

konk4

Juniors
Tigers allowed some of the softest tries I`ve seen in a finals match last Friday. Not sure why Tigers supporters go on about 2005. The teams are not the same. Might as well talk about 1963 etc. Anyway, at least the Tigers have made their second finals series in a decade, it`s good for the game.

Saints by 30+. Tigers are far too soft.

Wobbygong

First Grade
preference West Tigers definitely, but it would have been great playing Canberra minus that gimp Campese.

TheRev

First Grade
This is the Dragons first Sudden-Death game, and mentally it could take us time to settle into the game, so the main risk is that they get too far ahead during that time.

However, we are entitled to feel fairly confident, as confident as one can really be in sudden-death football, which is like maybe 65%.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Tigers do have the personnel. Only Tuiaki and Moltzen are the key players missing from the Tigers team and they've been mising all year anyways.

Another week will help improve player fitness as well. They have 8 days between the Raiders game and the Dragons game, plus they play in Sydney so that gives them extra resting time. I don't think they'll be tired either.

As I said before, they'll be fitter, healthier and more confident. Dragons took them lightly once before in the finals. You all remember how that went.

If I were a dragons fan, I'd be very cautious about this match. Tigers have that unpredictable attack which can get them back into any game, and they can score the tries from inside their own half just as easily as from 10 out from the tryline.

Nothing wrong with bias towards your team norm, but if you're going to comment on your opponents, it pays to do a little research and show a smidge of level-headedness before you make dumb-arsed statements.

Sorry about that, unit. I knew I'd draw you in with my personal and not outlandish opinion. Tell you what I'll do, I'll copy my post and move it to a rugby league forum and pop it in the St. George section where it belongs....

I'm presuming you Melbourne Tiger's will be watching the game somewhere in the old town. I remember when there was a few Tiger's fans that used to come to our (MBDS) events. I heard you guys started up your own group and then sent out emails to Dragon fans to attend your get togethers and weaken our membership numbers. That was quite weird???

Big Norm

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't go lumping me in with that group. I've only been down here for a year.

You're moron status is growing at an alarming rate.

Don't believe you're own hype junior.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Don't go lumping me in with that group. I've only been down here for a year.

You're moron status is growing at an alarming rate.

Don't believe you're own hype junior.

So you're not part of the Melbourne Tiger's group??

Don't get too wound up:lol:

Big 'Hype' Norm