What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whom could have predicted this?

mongoose

Coach
Links behind pay wall but I know what it's about.

Seems like this club doesn't know who it wants to represent yet and how to do it. I would just keep is simple and easily recognisable and go with either Redcliffe or Brisbane. Moreton Bay isn't a place that anyone here associates with and everything else sounds like a marketing exercise (i.e GWS)

Colk

First Grade
It was obvious it was going to happen as they even mentioned during the bid process that they didn’t have a name and that they were going to consult with fans.

Pippen94

First Grade
Dolphins v Moreton Bay: NRL’s newest club doubles down on name

Dolphins double down as naming drama erupts

Don't say you weren't warned...

The only way these issues could have been mitigated is with a neutral brand, but as things stand it won't always be at the forefront, but these issues will plague the club for years and it will negatively effect people's perception of the club across their supposed target market as a result.

Nothing to see here just click bait. Some ppl not smart enough to see through it

Colk

First Grade
I think keeping the moniker the Dolphins without a geographical location would be a bit stupid - look how well it has played out in Super Rugby. It also smacks of an overcompensation in part because they realise the problems of Redcliffe and how that presents a litany of issues.

On the other hand this might play in their hands, whether it was a deliberate marketing ploy or whether it was a bumbling decision brought upon by a lack of pre-planning and consultation with stakeholders. You and I and many others are still talking about it and in turn the Dolphins inception; whereas if they called themselves the Brisbane Dolphins or whatever, the press about them would have been a lot less

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is a dumb decision that is quite rightly getting the negative commentary it deserves. Like colk says it’s an over reaction to the problem of them being based on an outer suburban club when they need to appeal to the whoLe of brisbane.

but it wouldn’t be rl without a bit of drama would it lol.

Pippen94

First Grade
I think keeping the moniker the Dolphins without a geographical location would be a bit stupid - look how well it has played out in Super Rugby. It also smacks of an overcompensation in part because they realise the problems of Redcliffe and how that presents a litany of issues.

On the other hand this might play in their hands, whether it was a deliberate marketing ploy or whether it was a bumbling decision brought upon by a lack of pre-planning and consultation with stakeholders. You and I and many others are still talking about it and in turn the Dolphins inception; whereas if they called themselves the Brisbane Dolphins or whatever, the press about them would have been a lot less

Anything which is a bit different will attract naysayers. Dolphins is a strong brand - nothing to worry about. I don't think Peter Fitzsimmons has his finger on pulse

Colk

First Grade
It is a dumb decision that is quite rightly getting the negative commentary it deserves. Like colk says it’s an over reaction to the problem of them being based on an outer suburban club when they need to appeal to the whoLe of brisbane.

but it wouldn’t be rl without a bit of drama would it lol.

Although in saying that this might be a way to get a WA side in. Call them the Reds or whatever and maybe V’landerp might forget they’re from WA

Pippen94

First Grade
He never has

6 months ago he wouldn't have known redcliffe were the dolphins & vice versa - just looking for something to get outraged about. One of the worse ppl when it comes to talking down the sport. There are a few ppl here who aren't half bad it either!!

Links behind pay wall but I know what it's about.

Seems like this club doesn't know who it wants to represent yet and how to do it. I would just keep is simple and easily recognisable and go with either Redcliffe or Brisbane. Moreton Bay isn't a place that anyone here associates with and everything else sounds like a marketing exercise (i.e GWS)
People in SEQ are very familiar with Moreton Bay and its islands. Many people go to these islands on the weekend, especially North Stradbroke Island. If the club markets itself as a club representing the stretch of land adjacent to Moreton Bay then it could develop a following from Redlands to Moreton Bay Regional Council. The problem is Sunshine Coast isn't adjacent to Moreton Bay, so they would be alienating 300k people if they went with the name Moreton Bay Dolphins.

Colk

First Grade
Hey Grotd what could they call themselves to gain support from both Sunshine Coast and Moreton Bay? Is it even possible?

Latest posts