What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's left to sign?

macavity

Referee
Dogs are barking that Canterbury have signed both Eastwood and Adam Blair.

Unconfirmed... and unlikely without some bloody dodgy accountants one would think.

perverse

Referee
surely they can't fit them both in with Tolman and Tandy already on the books for next year as well as a contract upgrade for Barba. they've only lost Hannant and Patten haven't they?

Serc

First Grade
lol...surely they haven't signed either of them...and if they have, I hope the NRL sends in Schubert and co, straight to Dogs HQ!

Johns Magic

Referee
JM, admittedly I havnt watched all of Manlys games this year but the few I have seen Matai has been below what I would call "awesome". Given he is as injury prone as they come and it all adds up to a bad signing imo

I watch a lot of Manly games(few fantasy players in the team ;-) ), and Matai has been pretty consistently good over the year.

In 16 games:

9 tries
9 linebreaks
7 try-assists

Purely as a player, I think he is great.

macavity

Referee
and Kimmorley.

but upgraded Idris too - and apparently Ryan has a balloon payment this year (hence they were so keen to ship him off).

realistically, they have taken about $750-$800 off the books.

Tolman for $250, Tandy for $200, extra $100 each for Idris and Barba - they will still have some money to play with but you wouldn't think enough for both, and would have to cut somewhere to even sign one on good coin surely.

perverse

Referee
Don't forget the dogs also bought kris keating and Trent hodkinson
exactly, and Hodkinson in particular did not come cheap.

i don't see a way in hell they could get Tandy, Tolman, Blair, Hodkinson, Keating, upgrade Barba, balloon payment to Ryan, upgrade for Idris all under the cap for next year when they've only lost Kimmorley, Hannant and Patten.

macavity

Referee
280k a year?

geez, must have a good agent...

maybe they discovered a money tree, in some quiet oasis in Liverpool....

League_God

Juniors
He'd struggle to make manlys top side at full strength,won't be anywhere near an origin side.
oh thank f**k someone said that.

jennings
cooper
tahu
reddy
idris
morris
lawrence
lyon
ben smith

> farrar

can anyone else add to that list of possible nsw centre candidates that are better than farrar?
imo williams, sau, liliki (or however you spell it) and pete are all better prospects than farrar.

Johns Magic

Referee
oh thank f**k someone said that.

jennings
cooper
tahu
reddy
idris
morris
lawrence
lyon
ben smith

> farrar

can anyone else add to that list of possible nsw centre candidates that are better than farrar?
imo williams, sau, liliki (or however you spell it) and pete are all better prospects than farrar.

The moment you mentioned Ben Smith, I stopped trying to find some credibility in your post.

macavity

Referee
Glad I am not the only one getting wood over Farrar.

He doesn't make OUR full-strength side, let alone Manly's.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'd take Farrar over Tahu, Reddy, Idris, and possibly Morris(soft) as centres.

I don't think he's close to Origin currently...but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be great for our club.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Gonna have to massively disagree...if he replaces Mad Dog he would be our best centre next year.

If we don't sign someone soon, he'll end up being our best centre till he is 40.

I don't think Farrar will play Origin and I think he is a tad small to be a good centre. Dunno though seemed to have a bit of ticker and we could do worse. Sau isn't the world's best centre either and lets in a lot of tries down his side.

I'd be pretty happy with Matai. Not over the moon but happy. The problem is that any player coming to Newcastle always seems to become a dud no matter how good their were the year before...

macavity

Referee
I really don't see why everyone is jizzing about Farrar.

Isn't particularly big, isn't particularly strong, isnt particularly quick, doesn't have particularly great ball skills.

He is the white Wes Naiqama, except he doesnt look like a sock stuffed with walnuts, he has slightly better hands and he has better positioning at fullback.

I would take any of those JM mentioned over Farrar. Infact I would take Pomeroy, Champion, Beau Scott and a few other fairly average centres over him too.

perverse

Referee
i reckon you're underselling Farrar quite a bit, macca... i think he's been very good for Manly this year. definitely a level above Wes in all aspects except size.

also, Champion is hardly an average centre in the vein of Scott or Pomeroy. he's been superb this year, too.

macavity

Referee
Yeah, Champion is a slightly above average centre.

Durability aside, none of those mentioned have been as good as Doogs this year. Scary huh.

Have to agree to disagree on this one - I would rather we set our sights a bit higher than Farrar... same as I would have preferred we look at someone better than Kaufusi. Having said that, I don't see centre as a priority when we are two decent props short of even making 40m in a set from our own end.