What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do merged clubs perform so poorly?

ReddFelon

Juniors
There is not one person that has "Gold Coast" written on their licence. You can have Brisbane, you can't have gold coast.
Yes it's a council, same as it's neighbour "scenic rim" but there is no town called scenic rim.
Like it or not, it's the same example as Illawarra and North Qld. Which was his question/my point.

This is just straight wrong, it's the City of Gold Coast. Not the "Gold Coast region".

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
And how many people are you willing to lose from this sport to do that? 100k, 200K, more?

I hear its big in Adelaide though.
League is a tiny minority sport down here.

Besides expats from the northern states like myself, no one knows anything about it.

I've worn my Cronulla gear around town from time to time and most confuse it for Port Adelaide.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
The AFL grew to having billion dollar contracts with only one merger, one relocation and no clubs folding. The NRL could have done the same. The less wealthy AFL clubs running on fumes held on in that period in the 90s as the old fashioned product based on primarily gate takings transformed into what is now primarily a TV product (and much richer for it). The NRL went through the same transformational period at basically the same time, but lost 4 foundational clubs, almost lost a 5th, as well as the Dragons.

The AFL isn't magic, what it managed to do was not one of a kind or impossible to replicate. The NRL could have done the same if it didn't panic in the 90s.
In fairness bar the South Melbourne move to Sydney and the Brisbane takeover of Fitzroy the VFL/AFL expanded to states which were already traditional Aussie Rules states.

Although it wasn't without its headaches as the WAFL and the SANFL had to be literally dragged kicking and screaming to the table.

It's the only reason the Adelaide Crows exist because the SANFL faced losing its biggest club Port Adelaide to the AFL, pretty stupid really when Port ended up coming in 6 years later anyway.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
League is a tiny minority sport down here.

Besides expats from the northern states like myself, no one knows anything about it.

I've worn my Cronulla gear around town from time to time and most confuse it for Port Adelaide.

That was tongue in cheek in response to people who think moving the Sharks to Adelaide will solve the problems of Sydney.

Adelaide is a different place now to when the Rams played there. 2 massive AFL clubs to compete with and a healthy SANFL competition which has a rich history.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
That was tongue in cheek in response to people who think moving the Sharks to Adelaide will solve the problems of Sydney.

Adelaide is a different place now to when the Rams played there. 2 massive AFL clubs to compete with and a healthy SANFL competition which has a rich history.
The other Sydney clubs have follow our (Cronulla) lead and find itself new revenue streams and wean itself off depending on its leagues clubs.

If they do that there won't be any need to relocate any Sydney club.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Yet another Rorters cocksmoker who still thinks we're struggling financially.

Newsflash for you we aren't so stick that French champagne and caviar up your arse and smoke it.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Are you saying AFl clubs weren't popular in 1998? Adelaide avg'd 41k and Port 32k!

Yet another Rorters cocksmoker who still thinks we're struggling financially.

Newsflash for you we aren't so stick that French champagne and caviar up your arse and smoke it.
I was reacting to your claim that clubs were taking Cronulla‘s lead like they’re some kind of financial trailblazer and not disputing their current finances. I even bolded the relevant part of your post lol.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
you actually are, but hopefully wont be. Yet to not make a annual loss. Maybe this is the year?
How about you Sandgropers f**k off and start your own competition.

You merkins aren't and don't even want to be Australian.

Do us all a favour and secede and f**k off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How about you Sandgropers f**k off and start your own competition.

You merkins aren't and don't even want to be Australian.

Do us all a favour and secede and f**k off.
aw bless. Keep 100%v of our GST and all our mining royalties. The dubai of the southern hemisphere, sounds good, lol.

'In 2018-19, Western Australia exported A$147.1 billion worth of goods and imported A$34.1 billion, creating a trade surplus of A$112.95 billion. This is in contrast to the national trade deficit of A$70.5.'

Anyway back to Cronulla and the fact they still haven't made a profit yet.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
I was reacting to your claim that clubs were taking Cronulla‘s lead like they’re some kind of financial trailblazer and not disputing their current finances. I even bolded the relevant part of your post lol.
You're not very bright are you?

I wasn't suggesting other clubs were following our lead.

I said if they were asset rich like we are and capitalised on it like we're trying to do then the clubs who are financially struggling might not be.

At least we wouldn't be handing out brown paper bags like your lot.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
aw bless. Keep 100%v of our GST and all our mining royalties. The dubai of the southern hemisphere, sounds good, lol.

Anyway back to Cronulla and the fact they still haven't made a profit yet.
It's merkins like you are exactly why I wouldn't want WA back in the competition ever.

From West Coast to the Wildcats we don't need you feral merkins from across the Nullarbor in the NRL.

Dubai of the Southern Hemisphere, lol.

If that was really the case why is everyone leaving Perth for the east.

Latest posts