What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do NRL players say me?

Ladmate

Bench
It really annoys me that they can't speak English.

Instead of saying "I'm happy with the team and myself", they say "I'm happy with the game and meself".

So why can't they say "my"?

Ladmate

Bench
I'm serious. Where's the education for these footballers? Why can't they distinguish between "me" and "my"?

dclayw

Juniors
Gotta keep that working class image. Goes hand in hand with the overuse of the word "obviously" and at the end of almost every interview there's the "if we do this that or the other we should come up trumps". It's just league speak and I don't really have a problem with it meself.

innsaneink

Referee
It really annoys me that they can't speak English.

Instead of saying "I'm happy with the team and myself", they say "I'm happy with the game and meself".

So why can't they say "my"?
Watch the rah rahs if it irks you so FmyD

griff

Bench
I've heard players talk in real life say "my self" but then when interviewed on TV say "'me self''. I guess its just the culture. I find I change the way I speak in different contexts as well.

dclayw

Juniors
I've heard players talk in real life say "my self" but then when interviewed on TV say "'me self''. I guess its just the culture. I find I change the way I speak in different contexts as well.
Well who really cares I guess but I think what you say is partly true, it was what I was alluding to in my earlier post when I referred to "league speak". Do you think many players would actually use the term "come up trumps" in general conversation. There are an awful lot of them who use that term in pre/post match interviews.