What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Bennett persist with Seymour?

Looks like Broncos management may be realising the Seymour thing too...

Broncos team revamp
by Steve Ricketts
Tuesday April 11, 2006
Source: The Courier Mail

HALFBACK Brett Seymour could be a casualty of a team revamp after the Broncos admitted they were struggling to cover for the loss of injured hooker Michael Ennis.

Seymour's confidence and form are down and the 21-year-old faces the axe for the round 6 NRL clash with the Sydney Roosters at Aussie Stadium on Friday night, when Test star Brent Tate is set to return in the centres for Brisbane.

Tate's comeback following ankle surgery could see current centre Shaun Berrigan switched to hooker as the Broncos look for the solution to the loss of topline hookers Ennis (knee) and Barry Berrigan for the season, with Berrigan forced into retirement because of a neck injury.

Dual registered Redcliffe halfback Shane Perry could get another chance in the No. 7 jumper after he started for the Broncos against the North Queensland Cowboys in round 1.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said yesterday the club was "a bit poor" in the halfback and hooker spots, something that had been the subject of a coaching staff meeting when Barry Berrigan (Shaun's older brother) retired three weeks ago.

Cullen said the club would look to rebuild from within but he would not rule out looking for fresh talent.

"When Barry retired it opened the door for Michael to be hooker for the year and the last thing you think of is the injury he suffered," Cullen said. "But at the time we talked about the halfbacks and hookers at the club because we thought we were a bit vulnerable in that area.

"If Buster (Seymour) is not the halfback, who is? We looked at Casey McGuire and now that we haven't got any hookers Casey is an option at hooker and maybe we don't have that back-up halfback any more.

"We are a bit poor in the halfback and hooker spots just at the moment. Brett is not playing with much confidence at all."

Seymour was replaced by coach Wayne Bennett in the 70th minute of last Saturday's 30-12 win over Souths, a sure sign he is out of favour.

Cullen revealed he had implored Seymour to "keep his head up".

"I said to him 'it's a confidence thing and if it comes it will just come overnight' but if he gets down on himself you just don't get out of that rut, do you?" Cullen said.

Former Australian Schoolboys star Ben Green is halfback for Broncos feeder team Toowoomba, where Ian Lacey and Nathan Strudwick have been sharing the hooking role.

Cullen said yesterday Strudwick, the son of former World Cup halfback Ross Strudwick, had impressed everyone on and off the field.

"But the consensus is it's a little before his time," Cullen said.

Shaun Berrigan, McGuire, Perry and even skipper/five-eighth Darren Lockyer trained at dummy half yesterday as Bennett "auditioned" candidates for the most vital role in the side.

Redcliffe hooker Mick Roberts was mentioned as a possible candidate on ABC radio on Sunday but Dolphins coach Anthony Griffin said the Broncos had not asked for his services.

"I'm not expecting to have Shane Perry next Saturday when we play Norths but I think Mick will be here," Griffin said.

Tate trained strongly at left centre, the spot Shaun Berrigan has held.

"I pulled up well and if I complete the other two sessions this week I'll be playing on Friday," Tate said.

Meanie

Juniors
If they're going to punt Seymour to the Clydies they may as well give this "Hunt to halfback" thing a go.

I think going to the Clydies will help Seymour, he has looked good at times this season (Most notably the Parramatta game) and I don't think he's entirely useless. Just needs to find his form after having no preseason.

broncoman

Juniors
after reading that article it seems the broncos team this week may be:
1 Hunt 2 Tupou 3 Hodges 4 Tate 5 Boyd 6 Lockyer 7 McGuire 8 Webcke 9 Berrigan 10 Civoniceva 11 Carlaw 12 Parker 13 Carroll Bench 14 Perry 15 Stagg 16 Thaiday 17 Hannant 18 Thorn

but i'll be pissed off if Seymour is dropped, its just not the way to go...

Kiwi

First Grade
ideal line up would be

1 - Parfit
6 - Lockyer
7 - Hunt
9 - Strudwick / Roberts

What we'll see is more

1 - Hunt
6 - Lockyer
7 - Perry
9 - Berrigan

What I'd sell my wife to see is

1 - Lockyer
6 - Eastwood
7 - Hunt
9 - Strudwick / Roberts

lockyno1

Post Whore
broncoman said:
after reading that article it seems the broncos team this week may be:
1 Hunt 2 Tupou 3 Hodges 4 Tate 5 Boyd 6 Lockyer 7 McGuire 8 Webcke 9 Berrigan 10 Civoniceva 11 Carlaw 12 Parker 13 Carroll Bench 14 Perry 15 Stagg 16 Thaiday 17 Hannant 18 Thorn

Better side in my opinion if seymour is gone. He can't defend to save his life. At least casey can defend well. It is bad enough lockyer missing some tackles but if seymour is missing the same amount, the problem is massive. Right call if the article is correct!:D

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:

But why? His form doesn't warrant him having a spot in first grade currently. Let's stop beating around the bush, why do you actually feel we should currently be playing Seymour at halfback? I'm not interested in about let's give him time, we've done that and we're suffering because of it. What does Seymour actually bring to the table or potentially bring to the table?

As for the team this week. I'll be about as pissed as seeing Seymour named if we see Berrigan at 9. The guy can't pass, sure he could do some damage out of dummy half but the main damage over 80 minutes will be to our attacking capabilities.

I'd like to see:
1. Parfitt
2. Tupou
3. Hodges
4. Tate
5. Boyd
6. Lockyer
7. Hunt
8. Webcke
9. McGuire (can't really commend on Strudwick or Roberts not having seen them play)
10. Civoniceva
11. Carlaw
12. Parker
13. Carroll

14. Stagg
15. Hannant
16. Thaiday
17. Berrigan
18. Eastwood

broncoman

Juniors
Seymour's kicking game when on is the best we have, i agree he is inconsistent at best but in the past 3 years we have seen him play enough good games to know hes our best halfback, i mean he did run top 15 in the dally m's last season...
i think the best way for him to develop his game, even while hes not in his best form is to play first grade, ive got complete faith that having lockyer is out there with him is the best thing to get him through his form slump...

lockyno1

Post Whore
broncoman said:
Seymour's kicking game when on is the best we have, i agree he is inconsistent at best but in the past 3 years we have seen him play enough good games to know hes our best halfback, i mean he did run top 15 in the dally m's last season...
i think the best way for him to develop his game, even while hes not in his best form is to play first grade, ive got complete faith that having lockyer is out there with him is the best thing to get him through his form slump...

Seymour is too inconsistent and thankfully Wayne has realised this. It is time to move on!:D

salivor

First Grade
broncoman said:

How many good games has Seymour had in reality? Lets be brutally honest, his 2 stand out games for me last year were against the cowboys in North Queensland and against the Raiders in Canberra, he had a couple of other good games and the rest were average at best, some downright awful. Over the course of the season that consistancy is terrible and not good enough to warrant him staying on as our first grade halfback when we have a player of Hunts calibre waiting in the wings.

Seymour's kicking game certainly can be good, but once every 5 games at best again, after 54 first grade games doesn't cut the mustard. When it's bad it's really bad and even when it's good it's not up there with the top halfbacks in the league unless directionless bombs and finding the dead ball line with deadly accuracy are his actual intentions.

I don't think Lockyer is the man to bring Seymour out of his slump as he's in one of his own. And that comment proves that your completely missing the point. Seymour is there to take the pressure of Lockyer, not for Locky to help him along, Lockyer continually having to make up for Seymours inadequecies is only putting more pressure on the team.

If we want to simplify things it's basically come down to Hunt v Seymour. Both have played a similar amount of first grade games, one is a star of the game who is only going to go on to bigger and better things and WILL move into the halves. The other has proved to be completely inconsistant and long term probably will never reach representative level. It's not a hard choice especially when we have Parfitt who kills it in the qld cup and Boyd a former Australian schoolboys fullback waiting to step into that fullback role if required.

broncoman

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Seymour is too inconsistent and thankfully Wayne has realised this. It is time to move on!:D
Seymour will be back, i cant see him being out of the side for more than a few weeks...

broncoman

Juniors
comparnig Hunt to Seymour is a bit tough, i dont think anyone is claiming Brett has quite that much potential...
its pretty obvious we have a different view of this and tbh its just about been done to death, im happy enough to move on and see what happens with the halfback situation for the rest of the year if everyone else is...

salivor

First Grade
Ghoulies said:
Yep, it's clear that 28 year old Shane Perry is the future.

Who here is calling for Shane Perry? I don't think we have the future in our playing ranks at the moment, one thing I know for certain is that Seymour isn't it. I want Hunt in the 7 this year but by no means is he our next Allan Langer, long term he needs to move to 6 when Locky hangs up the boots and have a more structured traditional halfback to partner him. I feel we have no choice but come June 30 to look to the open market for the "future".

Ghoulies

Bench
salivor said:
Who here is calling for Shane Perry? I don't think we have the future in our playing ranks at the moment, one thing I know for certain is that Seymour isn't it. I want Hunt in the 7 this year but by no means is he our next Allan Langer, long term he needs to move to 6 when Locky hangs up the boots and have a more structured traditional halfback to partner him. I feel we have no choice but come June 30 to look to the open market for the "future".
Sorry mate, I was referring to locky's claim that Wayne has realised Seymour is ordinary, and has decided to move on.... but if you see the team named for this week, you'll find that Shane Perry is our starting halfback; hardly a move for the future.

Perry isn't the future, but leaving Seymour out there isn't going to build his confidence if that is the problem. Seymour has to go back to Qld Cup and Bennett has decided on Perry to fill in. Personally, Hunt should be #7, Boyd to fullback or Parfitt to fullback.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Ghoulies said:
Sorry mate, I was referring to locky's claim that Wayne has realised Seymour is ordinary, and has decided to move on.... but if you see the team named for this week, you'll find that Shane Perry is our starting halfback; hardly a move for the future.

Anyone, I repeat ANYONE is better than Seymour!:D

russ13

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Losing Barnes IMO is a worse blunder.

I don't know if you remember but Barnes was in the starting line-up or came from the bench when the Broncos last their last seven games last year.

he has had 2 years in the Queensland Cup & although he showed promise I don't think he lived up to the hype.

Latest posts