What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

My other theory is that the laid back nature of australian culture means that game results just dont mean that much. In UK winning or losing matters, it makes or breaks a persons week for some fans. Might be sad but that's how it is, especially in some of these grim RL towns and cities.
It's grim up North.

Except that chanting didn't emerge from within English RL. We just copied it from Soccer. Some of the more voluble Swinton fans on Sundays were regulars in the Stretford End on Saturdays. For them, a natural crossover, albeit with a much smaller choir.

One of my earliest games at Station Road was spent standing next to four Doncaster fans reciting "Sing when we're losing. We only sing when we're losing". This was around the time they featured in the "Another Bloody Sunday" TV doc and barely won a game all season. Customary tuneless racket, but quite funny.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's grim up North.

Except that chanting didn't emerge from within English RL. We just copied it from Soccer. Some of the more voluble Swinton fans on Sundays were regulars in the Stretford End on Saturdays. For them, a natural crossover, albeit with a much smaller choir.

One of my earliest games at Station Road was spent standing next to four Doncaster fans reciting "Sing when we're losing. We only sing when we're losing". This was around the time they featured in the "Another Bloody Sunday" TV doc and barely won a game all season. Customary tuneless racket, but quite funny.
My fave was
give me a T
give me an I
give me a T
give me an S

AND WHAT DO YOU DO.

you Oldham, you Oldham

always gave me a chortle into my bovril

Wb1234

Referee
It's grim up North.

I was in the old south stand at headingly vs hull fc

they were singing the song about getting your fathers gun thing.

and in a pub in hull before the derby the whole pub was singing old faithful

My other theory is that the laid back nature of australian culture means that game results just dont mean that much.
Laid back? On-field officials so frightened to miss anything that they call everything. Bunker painstakingly searching for knock-ons and obstructions from all available angles.

With the possible exception of the French, refereeing in Oz is the most obsessive compulsive in the world. Coaches must know it diminishes the game as a spectacle. So why all the neurosis if results "don't mean that much"?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Laid back? On-field officials so frightened to miss anything that they call everything. Bunker painstakingly searching for knock-ons and obstructions from all available angles.

With the possible exception of the French, refereeing in Oz is the most obsessive compulsive in the world. Coaches must know it diminishes the game as a spectacle. So why all the neurosis if results "don't mean that much"?
Thats a by product of the way the media treats the game here. not the fans. The sports media here are gutter level trash. They literally hope for refs to mess up so the coaches blow up and they can talk about it all week on the various platforms. You just dont see that level of scrutiny or critiscm elsewhere of refs, or clubs/coaches tbf. If the media backed off the refs and NRL wouldnt be so terrified of human error.

hrundi99

First Grade
Thats a by product of the way the media treats the game here. not the fans. The sports media here are gutter level trash. They literally hope for refs to mess up so the coaches blow up and they can talk about it all week on the various platforms. You just dont see that level of scrutiny or critiscm elsewhere of refs, or clubs/coaches tbf. If the media backed off the refs and NRL wouldnt be so terrified of human error.

Happens regularly in Canada/US re the NHL refereeing and judiciary.

That all rings true, but NRL media habits are not sui generis. These journo goons haven't arrived from outer space. They must represent something intrinsic to RL.

I had an exchange with someone on a Dragons thread who was losing his marbles over a (perfectly correct) double-movement call in the NRLW game against the Raiders. He rounded off with "I didn't even bother watching the men's game after that. I'm done and need to find a new winter hobby".

Which is depressingly redolent of the apocalyptic rants of English RL fans. For some miserabilists, it's never enough to vent their fury at a team or refereeing performance. They can't resist adding a self-satisfied Parthian shot of vowing to never attend another game.

Sports with an obdurately solid working-class fanbase seem to suffer most from this kind of nihilism. Combustible combination of inferiority complex and low disposable incomes. English Soccer used to be the same before the 90s middle-class colonisation.

Wb1234

Referee
That all rings true, but NRL media habits are not sui generis. These journo goons haven't arrived from outer space. They must represent something intrinsic to RL.

I had an exchange with someone on a Dragons thread who was losing his marbles over a (perfectly correct) double-movement call in the NRLW game against the Raiders. He rounded off with "I didn't even bother watching the men's game after that. I'm done and need to find a new winter hobby".

Which is depressingly redolent of the apocalyptic rants of English RL fans. For some miserabilists, it's never enough to vent their fury at a team or refereeing performance. They can't resist adding a self-satisfied Parthian shot of vowing to never attend another game.

Sports with an obdurately solid working-class fanbase seem to suffer most from this kind of nihilism. Combustible combination of inferiority complex and low disposable incomes. English Soccer used to be the same before the 90s middle-class colonisation.
Super league war changed things

before that journos were like afl

Chief journo at news lrd was Peter frilingos

super league war news ltd journos modus operandi was to attack the game with negative articles

most of them kept their jobs after the war ended and kept that same attitude

funnily enough the herald used to be a rah rah focused paper and now delivers most of the best journos and articles

Super league war changed things

before that journos were like afl

Chief journo at news lrd was Peter frilingos

super league war news ltd journos modus operandi was to attack the game with negative articles

most of them kept their jobs after the war ended and kept that same attitude

funnily enough the herald used to be a rah rah focused paper and now delivers most of the best journos and articles
TV commentators are the worst. Constantly on the ref's case to see and call things. Definitely affects how the game is played. Coaches get the message that expansive or intricate play risks turning the ball over. Razzle-dazzle is reserved for good field position. Most teams stick to one-out hit-ups and wait for a call from the ref to get them up the field.

You posted on the Warriors v Dragons thread that it was a shame such a big crowd got such a poor game. The fans can't really complain. Half of them wouldn't be there if the team weren't winning. If they want better football, they'll have to demonstrate a willingness to show up regardless of results.

The equations for the Warriors attacking game with their current roster are -

Lower-risk=winning=higher crowds. Higher-risk=losing=lower crowds.

Only special players can rise above modern refereeing and media coverage. Broncos are the best this year. They can win and entertain in equal measure.

Wb1234

Referee
TV commentators are the worst. Constantly on the ref's case to see and call things. Definitely affects how the game is played. Coaches get the message that expansive or intricate play risks turning the ball over. Razzle-dazzle is reserved for good field position. Most teams stick to one-out hit-ups and wait for a call from the ref to get them up the field.

You posted on the Warriors v Dragons thread that it was a shame such a big crowd got such a poor game. The fans can't really complain. Half of them wouldn't be there if the team weren't winning. If they want better football, they'll have to demonstrate a willingness to show up regardless of results.

The equations for the Warriors attacking game with their current roster are -

Lower-risk=winning=higher crowds. Higher-risk=losing=lower crowds.

Only special players can rise above modern refereeing and media coverage. Broncos are the best this year. They can win and entertain in equal measure.
Season is ending in a whimper

very few competitive games of a high standard

still it’s been a record breaking season