What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

Firstly, the APL and teams only have so much control over stadium security, so it's pretty silly to blame them for that.

Secondly, security was lowered at A-league events after years of active supporters groups, and A-league fans more generally, claiming that the heightened security at soccer games, and specifically around active supporters groups, was discrimination, and that crowd disturbance and rates of violence at A-league matches was similar to other major sporting events (which is technically true, but also a twisted statistic as the types of violence are different, but this is a tangent).

Finally, though it's not impossible that some individual members of OSM had said they planned to invade the pitch (who knows), OSM it's self had not made it public that they planned to invade the pitch. That's simply untrue. They were vocal on social media about participating in the protests by walking out of the stadium on the 20th minute, but A. that's obviously not what happened, and B. it wouldn't have been a problem if they did. In fact it's what they should have done just like all the other active support group in the league managed to do without assaulting multiple people.

In other words, active support groups got the privileges they wanted back, only to abuse them relatively quickly after that point, and the only people to blame for that, and the inevitable crackdown that will come to soccer games nationwide, is the OSM. This isn't a time to shift blame or try to use this to push an agenda. Those f**kwit OSM members were the sole cause of the problem, they've bought this down on the A-league and soccer more generally, and they deserve everything that they get for it.

It's just bloody lucky that things didn't escalate, if City's fans had taken it on themselves to defend their team or take revenge, then it could have been an even bigger shit show.
I don't follow the A-League. I'm just repeating what I heard from YouTube content producers who commentate on the competition. The owner of this video said it was known for a few days that the OSM were going to enter the field around the 20 minute mark. His comment on it was be found at the 13.45 mark of the video.

I saw another video from a Melbourne City fan who was sitting at the opposite end. There were supporters near him lighting flares and throwing them onto the ground.

I don't know about Bruce Stadium in Canberra, but the security at Lang Park inspect attendees' bags upon entry into the ground.

Does the APL and stadium security let A-League fans into the grounds with flares?

If they do then they're inviting trouble. I just watched a Four Corners episode on YouTube called "A League of Their Own". It was paroduced a couple of years ago. Fans from clubs were sitting in stadia waving flares. It said the APL is run by the clubs and that some of the club owners are foreigners with criminal backgrounds.

Apparently there was a riot in Sydney a month ago after a Western Sydney vs Sydney FC game. Graffiti was sprayed on the facilities adjacent to Moore Park.

The more I learn about the A-League the more I'm convinced that the APL has let the players down by not cracking down on anti-social behaviour more severely, as it seems to be a recurring problem in the game. I saw a representative from Melbourne Victory talking about recent behavioural problems committed by the club's fanbase.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't follow the A-League. I'm just repeating what I heard from YouTube content producers who commentate on the competition. The owner of this video said it was known for a few days that the OSM were going to enter the field around the 20 minute mark. His comment on it was be found at the 13.45 mark of the video.
Good for him, doesn't change the fact that it's unverified and that OSM made no such claims publicly.
I saw another video from a Melbourne City fan who was sitting at the opposite end. There were supporters near him lighting flares and throwing them onto the ground.
What of it?
I don't know about Bruce Stadium in Canberra, but the security at Lang Park inspect attendees' bags upon entry into the ground.
Have you ever held or been near a flair before? They're small and easy to conceal.

You'd need to frisk literally every person entering the ground to have any hope of stopping flairs entering grounds. Not only is that not realistically feasible, but many would still slip through even if you did try something like that.
Does the APL and stadium security let A-League fans into the grounds with flares?

If they do then they're inviting trouble.
They're banned, but there's really no way to stop them being brought into grounds.

The truth is that flairs aren't a problem if they're used safely, and there's no way of stopping them getting into the grounds anyway, so maybe the answer isn't to blanket ban them but to work with support groups to organise ways in which they can use flairs safely without causing problems.

Maybe create a system where by active support groups can be given space to let off flairs as long as they are declared beforehand. That way the people whom want to use flairs can do so safely, and the club, stadium, and police can have some modicum of control over them. IDK if that idea in particular would be workable, but you get the general idea.
I just watched a Four Corners episode on YouTube called "A League of Their Own". It was paroduced a couple of years ago. Fans from clubs were sitting in stadia waving flares. It said the APL is run by the clubs and that some of the club owners are foreigners with criminal backgrounds.
The APL does run the men's and women's A-league, and those sorts of dodgy owners are gone now. That's not to say that others aren't dodgy, just not that sort of dodgy lol.

BTW, there'd be owners/ex-owners of clubs in many sports with criminal backgrounds, just like there are in all areas of society.
Apparently there was a riot in Sydney a month ago after a Western Sydney vs Sydney FC game. Graffiti was sprayed on the facilities adjacent to Moore Park.
Media beat up.

Do you really think that a riot, a real honest to goodness riot, wouldn't be headline news with footage of said riot and the aftermath running nonstop for at least the better part of a week?

There were was a drunken scuffle or two sure, but nothing worse than you'd find on an average weekend at the AFL, and less frequently, but still regularly, at the NRL.

BTW, graffiti, seriously? Who gives a f**k!
The more I learn about the A-League the more I'm convinced that the APL has let the players down by not cracking down on anti-social behaviour more severely, as it seems to be a recurring problem in the game. I saw a representative from Melbourne Victory talking about recent behavioural problems committed by the club's fanbase.
The APL, FFA, and police, have been know to go massively overboard on crowds at the A-league, with people being given bans left, right, and centre, often for genuine mistakes or for things that aren't even punishable at other events.

Though I guess, in some sense, the APL and clubs share some of the blame for loosening the reins a bit a while back (which was a demand of the fans as I said before), the real problem is some active support groups whom either don't police their own, or actively harbour bad actors. Melbourne Victory have been notorious for this problem in the past, to the point that their last active support group (North Terrace) was wrapped up, and the word on the street (from people whom would know) is that many of the bad eggs whom rushed the pitch were know to the fans and were under current bans. Which brings into question what the point is of banning people if those bans are unenforceable, but that's a tangent.

As I said before, this whole event is OSM and the individuals who committed the crime's fault. They're responsible, the fault lies with them, not anybody else.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nonsense, it would be very easy to stop flares being lit at football games if the league and authorities decided they were going to get serious about it. You dont see it at uk stadiums because you would be arrested if you did it. It is illegal to set off a flare unless its for emergency purposes, just enforce the law.

Iamback

Coach
And that is exactly what happened last night. Fans were absolutely livid over the shite decisions that the A-League keep making.
I dont condone what happened, it just the way fans were feeling.

What is laughable is what if the shoe was on the other foot?
Imagine if V'Landy's signed a 3 year deal with the QLD Govt to hold the GF in Brisbane for the next 3 years?
All we would see is wankers on LU complaining. Fans would not take a stance at games. They would not plan walk outs or any such thing at games.
Yet, as I said, last night 's fan behavior was over the top and unacceptable. All they had to do was walk out as planned and what they eventually did do. Every one of those wankers who invaded the field should be banned for life, and the clown that threw the bin at Tom Glover should be given jail time.

I don't they would though, There is thread here when it was going to happen this year.

Canard

Immortal
Nonsense, it would be very easy to stop flares being lit at football games if the league and authorities decided they were going to get serious about it. You dont see it at uk stadiums because you would be arrested if you did it. It is illegal to set off a flare unless its for emergency purposes, just enforce the law.

Also, It's also not part of their culture to set of flares.

That's much more of a Euro Trash thing.

To try to excuse or condone that behaviour, and somehow claim RL fans are weak by not behaving this way is peak cope.

Flares will be banned from the A League going forward and this could lead to that competition downfall.

Good for him, doesn't change the fact that it's unverified and that OSM made no such claims publicly.

What of it?

Have you ever held or been near a flair before? They're small and easy to conceal.

You'd need to frisk literally every person entering the ground to have any hope of stopping flairs entering grounds. Not only is that not realistically feasible, but many would still slip through even if you did try something like that.

They're banned, but there's really no way to stop them being brought into grounds.

The truth is that flairs aren't a problem if they're used safely, and there's no way of stopping them getting into the grounds anyway, so maybe the answer isn't to blanket ban them but to work with support groups to organise ways in which they can use flairs safely without causing problems.

Maybe create a system where by active support groups can be given space to let off flairs as long as they are declared beforehand. That way the people whom want to use flairs can do so safely, and the club, stadium, and police can have some modicum of control over them. IDK if that idea in particular would be workable, but you get the general idea.

The APL does run the men's and women's A-league, and those sorts of dodgy owners are gone now. That's not to say that others aren't dodgy, just not that sort of dodgy lol.

BTW, there'd be owners/ex-owners of clubs in many sports with criminal backgrounds, just like there are in all areas of society.

Media beat up.

Do you really think that a riot, a real honest to goodness riot, wouldn't be headline news with footage of said riot and the aftermath running nonstop for at least the better part of a week?

There were was a drunken scuffle or two sure, but nothing worse than you'd find on an average weekend at the AFL, and less frequently, but still regularly, at the NRL.

BTW, graffiti, seriously? Who gives a f**k!

The APL, FFA, and police, have been know to go massively overboard on crowds at the A-league, with people being given bans left, right, and centre, often for genuine mistakes or for things that aren't even punishable at other events.

Though I guess, in some sense, the APL and clubs share some of the blame for loosening the reins a bit a while back (which was a demand of the fans as I said before), the real problem is some active support groups whom either don't police their own, or actively harbour bad actors. Melbourne Victory have been notorious for this problem in the past, to the point that their last active support group (North Terrace) was wrapped up, and the word on the street (from people whom would know) is that many of the bad eggs whom rushed the pitch were know to the fans and were under current bans. Which brings into question what the point is of banning people if those bans are unenforceable, but that's a tangent.

As I said before, this whole event is OSM and the individuals who committed the crime's fault. They're responsible, the fault lies with them, not anybody else.
Graffiti is illegal and carries a five year prison sentence in Queensland.

People have every right to expect property to not be defaced after an event. It's anti-social behaviour and gives the sport a bad reputation.

Flares are illegal at Melbourne Rectangular Arena.

There needs to be better surveillance of crowds to crack down on people lighting flares. It's dangerous and security need to evict fans who light flares and have them arrested.

To try to excuse or condone that behaviour, and somehow claim RL fans are weak by not behaving this way is peak cope.
Did anyone say RL fans are weak for not behaving like the OSM?

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I honestly find the suggestion that the APL is somehow responsible for what happen yesterday disgusting.

Whatever you may think of the decision to sell three grand finals to Sydney it doesn't justify an escalation to violence of any sort, and the people whom perpetrated said violence should be found, have the book thrown at them, and barred from attending any major sporting event in Australia for life. There should be serious discussions about disbanding The OSM as well.

Furthermore, the actions of OSM members yesterday destroyed any hopes that unified protest could have had on getting the APL's decision overturned... So they've shot themselves, and most other soccer supporters, in the foot if their goal was to send a message to the APL.
Soccer has history though

nsl had this exact same problem

start with banning flares and maybe even active support groups

These. Hardcore fan are complete f**king morons …. It’s a game of soccer ffs ….. obv the governing body wants to put the final at the new stadium …. Who’s gives a shit

Homo man69

Juniors
Because it's

8533f02516e81e312c574896797050cbdb0c5a23baea4ee4a8d983ccc0433cb5.jpg
I find this extremely offensive and bigoted. I happen to be a transgender homosexual and you are making out that something's wrong with being gay. How would you like me yelling out HETRO in a derogatory manner? Please think of the LGBQTI members in this forum
Btw my pronouns are They/Them

I posted a video from a Brisbane Roar fan who expressed his anger over the A-League becoming Sydney-centric like the NRL. The bloke actually compared it to the NRL. He mentioned fanbases from multiple teams planning a walkout at the 20th minute mark of games across the country because they object to Sydney getting the next three grand finals. Try watching the videos before you make a dickhead out of yourself.

In The Fight Club you tried to claim a State of Origin game is no different to a regular season NRL match. If you believe that then you're obviously a moron who hasn't got a clue and probably went to a special school.

You're one the biggest morons I've ever encountered. There are kids in special schools who have a better understanding of the English language than the mangled rubbish you post. You're such an uneducated idiot you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
You talk utter shit
I never compared a SOO to a regular game .
I highlighted the absurdity of saying that crowds don’t count if they’re an event game …Anzac day etc…..
I asked should tv execs discount huge ratings because of SOO being an event..when it comes to paying for RL rights .

you’re just not real bright .
in fact you’re prob the dumbest poster on here….a big call I know but the amount of posters who laugh at your posts says it’s prob true .

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also, It's also not part of their culture to set of flares.

That's much more of a Euro Trash thing.

Flares will be banned from the A League going forward and this could lead to that competition downfall.
It’s not about culture, it’s about what you let fans get away with. English soccer fans are as dumb as their euro counterparts and would no doubt let them off If they were allowed to get away with it. Being arrested on the spot and chucked in a cell is why they don’t.

You talk utter shit
I never compared a SOO to a regular game .
I highlighted the absurdity of saying that crowds don’t count if they’re an event game …Anzac day etc…..
I asked should tv execs discount huge ratings because of SOO being an event..when it comes to paying for RL rights .

you’re just not real bright .
in fact you’re prob the dumbest poster on here….a big call I know but the amount of posters who laugh at your posts says it’s prob true .

You were going on about attendances at event games like ANZAC Day, Good Friday and Easter Sunday being as much of an indicator of brand value as games played on a regular weekend, even though it's been pointed out to you ad nauseam that the former draw a higher mean average because of the special occasion they're played on.

Why do you think Ch9 screen these games at a special time that no other game is played at?

They put them on in the arvo because it's a public holiday and people are not at work. If you cannot see how this inflates their ratings and attendances then you're an idiot.

Then you used your bullshit claim to argue that discounting the value of these games means the broadcasters would argue Origin is no more valuable to them than the NRL.

You're the only person who is dumb enough to think this is the case.

The State of Origin series generates about 15% of the broadcast deal, despite constituting just three games of the 190+ matches that are played in the season.

If the past NRL television rights deal was worth $1 billion over five years, the State of Origin series alone is estimated to be worth close to $150 million. The costs associated with Origin football have increased significantly in recent years, but so too has interest from fans and the revenue for Origin's key stakeholders.​

You need to get it through your demented head that not all games are equal and some clubs are more valuable than others. There's a reason why Origin and event games played on Easter Sunday draw bigger attendances than a regular game. The Easter Monday and Good Friday games are played at a specific time not seen during a regular round during the day because they're of greater importance to the broadcasters.

Last edited:
Lol you just don’t get it do you.
All crowds count…doesn’t matter if it’s an event or a game played in the bush with limited capacity.
just as all ratings count.
when someone tries to discount good crowds because of whatever reason then I’ll highlight how absurd that is by applying THEIR bizarre formula to good ratings .

All crowds count…doesn’t matter if it’s an event or a game played in the bush with limited capacity.
when someone tries to discount good crowds because of whatever reason then I’ll highlight how absurd that is by applying THEIR bizarre formula to good ratings .
No one said good ratings and attendances for special events are irrelevant. They're important because they add value to the broadcast rights and generate extra revenue on game day. What you are either too stupid to understand or deliberately ignoring is the majority of games do not draw these sort of ratings and attendances because they're not a special event. Over 190 NRL regular season games were held this season. The only "event" games from the regular season were the two ANZAC Day games, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday and eight games from Magic Round. So 13 of 190+ games were special events. The rest were average games with mediocre attendances for the smaller clubs. At least eight of those "event" games were boosted by being played in Brisbane and I think one was in Melbourne. So there's just four games in Sydney worth a damn.

Go look at the thread I made about revenue from football operations. The clubs who draw small attendances over the season -- cough cough, Sydney clubs -- bought in far less money from game day. That's the reason people talk about the low mean average attendance of small clubs being a blight on the game. One or two "event" games don't make up for the shortfall caused by hosting 10 or 11 poorly attended matches.

Are you so stupid you think the broadcasters don't take any of this into account when deciding the value of the NRL and Origin?

Is there a point to your tiresome and irrelevant opinion of "all crowds count"?

Making a blanket statement like "all crowds count" in response to a discussion about the marketability of each NRL club proves you're either a simpleton who cannot follow a discussion or a time wasting troll because you're not addressing any of the points that have been made. Saying that a small crowd at a country venue or a sell-out to a well publicised event game on a public holiday tells us nothing about how many people will travel to the SFS to see Roosters play their other 10 or 11 home games.

What part of that do you not understand?

A club's marketability is tied to the attendances they pull on a week to week basis. It determines how much they make from ticketing and membership. It also impacts how much they can earn from sponsorship and corporate hospitality. A game held in the country or the SFS on ANZAC Day only tells us how many people will attend those particular games.

I can predict your response. You'll say I don't get it and that all crowds count.

Think I will follow wookie’s lead & ignore the village idiot.
I’ll still read his drivel but not reply .
everyone need a daily laugh.

big hit!

Bench
I was at the ground for this one. It was great! Probably the best crowd sing-song along at a Sydney sporting event! Who said the old SFS had no atmosphere?

Latest posts