What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we ever "raid" Union?

Pneuma

First Grade

Gobsmacked

Bench
‘Rugby boss’ who nobody has ever heard of. Good on them for taking advantage of the free publicity we are giving them but rugby is still rugby. Perfect cure for insomnia.
Kinda the worst publicity though isn't it?
Back when Wendell and Rogers were getting signed I don't remember open mockery..
It now open mockery if you sign with Union, hence why it costs Union double..
There will be other players privately interested in DOUBLE! Though.
Funny thing is, how much are Union going to spend? They've set the price pretty funking high 😳 a couple more like that and we'll be able to take every last Junior they have.
Crazy.

bazza

Referee
When they say see Europe are they talking about bath or Salford ? League has a club in the south of France

when people wanna visit Europe it’s places like Croatia or Greek islands not bath or Salford
Plenty of people from Australia live in shitholes like South London and work and then travel to Croatia and the Greek Islands
Just as easy to get to from London as from Manchester

Wb1234

Referee
Plenty of people from Australia live in shitholes like South London and work and then travel to Croatia and the Greek Islands
Just as easy to get to from London as from Manchester
Living in a shithole doesn’t sound like much of a glamourous option compared to living in Australia

all this sounds like a contiki tour

bazza

Referee
The number of top players is a trickle now as the NRL has the financial muscle.
I think the spending time in France thing is a bit of a lifestyle thing now that most players are so highly paid in the NRL they can now afford a few years basically earning nothing and playing/coaching and enjoying the lifestyle while they are still relatively young

bazza

Referee
Living in a shithole doesn’t sound like much of a glamourous option compared to living in Australia

all this sounds like a contiki tour
Most people can put up with living in dumps like Leicester if they know they can always come back to somewhere nice

BODISGOD

Bench
Quite. If you live in Paris you can be in some beautiful parts of Europe very quickly.

Money is of course the driver but even better if you can get money and to travel.

Even without money you’ll see people travelling for their hobby and beer money. I know a guy who packed in his job in tech at 27 to play semi pro Aussie soccer for relative buttons. I know guys who have played loads of sports abroad with it mainly just a means to travel.

bazza

Referee
Quite. If you live in Paris you can be in some beautiful parts of Europe very quickly.

Money is of course the driver but even better if you can get money and to travel.

Even without money you’ll see people travelling for their hobby and beer money. I know a guy who packed in his job in tech at 27 to play semi pro Aussie soccer for relative buttons. I know guys who have played loads of sports abroad with it mainly just a means to travel.
yep
play a sport that you enjoy
meet some like minded people
get a bit of money
see the world

Plenty of 20 somethings would be happy doing that

Wb1234

Referee
nothing like a few rainy "summers" up north to appreciate what you have
I found northern England really lonely and cold

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Suaalii is more overrated than loaded fries. Very good winger but looked average when he’s played elsewhere.
All this ‘generational talent’ shit is way over the top.
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. He's still young I'll give him that but he certainly hasn't justified a $1.6M price tag. Desperate move from the ARU paying that to a guy that's not making the NSW Origin team.

And speaking of Origin, the NRL need to come out now and declare that he is not eligible to be selected. We should not be developing him further to hand him over to a rival sport in 2 years and we should not be using our marquee events to build his profile so that he can take that profile and promote RU with it. I'm with Gus on this one.... go now

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The reality is our game is small fry outside Australia compared to union. Why would union players switch, absolutely no need for them to do so.
The challenge. Regardless of the status of RL outside of Australia, the NRL houses some of the best Rugby talent in the world and as it's brand grows, the lure of challenging yourself in that environment is very appealing.