What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Every team can win the comp this year

IMO there is not one side in the comp who can be ruled out of Premiership contention. As we saw last year, almost any side can beat any other side on their day. Below are a few reasons why I beleive every club has a shot at this years title.

Panthers - still have a great roster and have a large group of players at the club that were victorious in 2003. Any side that has Gower, Cambell, Wesser, Clinton, pulatua, Rooney and lewis has to have a good chance of the title.

Sharks - Perhaps its a bit of the case of "it has to happen one day". They are well overdue for one. Just like if a poker player plays enough hands, he will eventually get that Royal flush. they have a quality side and with the closeness of the comp this year, they may sense this as their greatest chance and become motivated and ditermined to bring some glory to the shire.

Cowboys- Grand finalists from last year and robbed of a grand final appearance in 2004. probably the most consistent performers in the finals series over the last 2 years. With the excitement of Bowen and Thurston behind a great forward pack they would have to be close to favourites.

Raiders - Potentially the tigers of 2006. A huge amount of young and unproven talent in the side leading the public to beleive they will finish towards the bottom of the ladder, just like the tigers of last year. They have probably the best organiser/play maker in the game in Jason Smith. If he stays fit, and the likes of Zillman withers and Shikofske see some quality ball from him they are capable of anything.

Newcastle - Andrew Johns, Andrew Johns, Andrew Johns.

Parramatta - Probably have the 2nd best roster in the NRL. Have shown they have the ability to destroy any side on their day. The motivation from last years heartache may give them what they need in the 2006 finals series which they will no doubt be a part of.

Dragons - Should have won last year. Have about 1000 origin players in the line up. Will start favourites for the premiership.

Bulldogs - Last years dissapointment should spur them on to bigger and better things this year. Anasta loss will be felt, but could be a blessing in disguise. Shifty Sherwin will have much more pressure on him and knowing the sort of bloke he is, this will fire him up and we should see the 2004 shifty this year and not the 2005 one. They have a coach who knows what it takes to win a premiership and a strong forward pack lead by 2 of the best in O'mealy and Mason.

Warriors - What a controversy it would be if they were to get up this year. The loss of 4 points may see the warriors adapt 'the throw the ball around and see what happens' approach. When they play this way and it sticks, they can be devastating as we saw in 2002 and towards the end of 2003. Lead by the 2 best props in the game IMO in Wiki and Price.

Souths - Showed what they are capable of towards the end of last year. Sutton is a superstar in the making. The club is finally starting to recruit key players into key positions. If they win a couple of early games and start to develop some beleif in themselves, it could be a fairy tale story for the rabbits this year.

Broncos - showed last year that they were probably the best and most consistent side of the 2005 season, however they fell flat on their face towards the end of the year. A bad year for Darren Lockyer last year, but he is a champion player and will bounce back this year. If he stays fit and plays at his best, especially in the finals series, they should go close. With the releif of no rep duty at the end of the year for Wayne Bennett, we may see him adapt a different approach to the season this year rather than giving us the "season is too long" excuse which negatively impacts on his players at the end of the season.

Tigers - Have a stronger side this year than what they had to win the title last year. Recruited very well in the off season and have the best halves combination in the game in Marshall and Prince.

Manly - The dark horse for this years title. BK will relish in his new responsibility as captain and will have anonther strong season. Matt orford will enjoy being behind BK watmough, Menzies and Kite, which is IMO a better forward pack than what the storm had last year, and we should see him become even more devastating this year when he is on his game. If he shows consistency this year they are a massive chance. The retirement of Terry Hill will do them the world of good with a far superior centre in Bell coming in to replace him

Storm - Have shown some blistering early form in trials. I don't beleive they will miss orford as much as they think. Don't get me wrong his loss will be felt, but they still have who I beleive is their best half in Scotty Hill. If he and Billy slater are able to form a relationship similar to Prince and Hodgson last year for the tigers they should be right up there come the finals series. With the form Matt King and Slater showed last year, they are not going to find it hard scoring tries. Mick Crocker should add some much needed grunt and solid defence around the ruck area that they missed last year.

Roosters - Recruited very well in the off season. It seems Ricky stuart is keen to move Finch to Hooker and introduce Jamie Soward into first grade at half back, which is by far their best option. He is another potential superstar, and if he can develop a successfull combination with Braith Anasta they should be hard to stop behind a forward pack of Morley, Fitzgibon and Ashley Harrison.

Kiwi

First Grade
Raiders - Potentially the tigers of 2006. A huge amount of young and unproven talent in the side leading the public to beleive they will finish towards the bottom of the ladder, just like the tigers of last year. They have probably the best organiser/play maker in the game in Jason Smith. If he stays fit, and the likes of Zillman withers and Shikofske see some quality ball from him they are capable of anything.

Problem is unlike the Tigpies, the Raiders have no depth and not much in the way of talent.

Kiwi said:
Problem is unlike the Tigpies, the Raiders have no depth and not much in the way of talent.

Nope. Carny, Zillman, Miller, Tom LL, Trevor Thurling, Dane Tilse, Mick Weyman have no talent at all :roll:

waltzing Meninga said:
Nope. Carny, Zillman, Miller, Tom LL, Trevor Thurling, Dane Tilse, Mick Weyman have no talent at all :roll:

There all nothing special....they dont have an established rep player to guide them along to be something special

Raider Ultra

Bench
Rabbitohs2005 said:
There all nothing special....they dont have an established rep player to guide them along to be something special
You've hit the nail on the head, Jason Smith is a nobody!

Raider Ultra said:
You've hit the nail on the head, Jason Smith is a nobody!

i really do wish canberra well...hopefully they can avoid the spoon this year...if they get off to a good start, the warriors may have some trouble getting off the bottom seeing as tho there on -4 points at this moment

BWNB

First Grade
waltzing Meninga said:
IMO there is not one side in the comp who can be ruled out of Premiership contention. As we saw last year, almost any side can beat any other side on their day. Below are a few reasons why I beleive every club has a shot at this years title.

Sharks - Perhaps its a bit of the case of "it has to happen one day". They are well overdue for one. Just like if a poker player plays enough hands, he will eventually get that Royal flush. they have a quality side and with the closeness of the comp this year, they may sense this as their greatest chance and become motivated and ditermined to bring some glory to the shire.

Newcastle - Andrew Johns, Andrew Johns, Andrew Johns.

yep agree, we are over due, we should of won the superleague but it didnt happen this year is our year i can feel it in my blood the year of the LG sharks

As for the knights if johns can get thru one season they are a good shot but please remind me the last time he did?

DJ1

Juniors
The following teams cannot win the premiership this year,

Parramatta
Newcastle
St George
Canberra
Souths

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kiwi said:

the exact same words were uttered by many, INCLUDING myself in regards to the tigers in 2005... Once bitten twice shy

i agree with the post, you cant afford to write anyone off these days, never know whats gonna happen... except the sharkies :p

Johns Magic

Referee
DJ1 said:

Parramatta
Newcastle
St George

Those three teams kill the Dogs. You're gonna struggle in the halves big time.

parra73

Juniors
DJ1 said:

Parramatta
NEWCASTLE
St George
CANBERRA
SOUTHS

i can understand the teams in bold cant win the comp but seriously EELS & DRAGONS, come on the comp has not even started yet will see at the back end of the season.

DJ1

Juniors
Parramatta cannot win this year because of the Brian Smith issue. The situation will progressively get worse throughout the season with Smith exiting before the finals get here.

St George cannot win because Nathan Brown cannot coach finals football. He is still one of the boys despite the odd slap here and there. There will also be a growing disharmony within the ranks due to who's staying, who's leaving and who is or isn't taking paycuts to keep the Jubilee Idols.

parra73

Juniors
i can understand with whats been happening in regards to the wheeling & dealings with the coaching issue at parra but i still believe parra has got a very strong chance to win it as long they keep their heads together, dragons can as well but thats another story.

DJ1

Juniors
DJ1 said:

Parramatta
Newcastle
St George
Canberra
Souths

add Penrith to this list.

They cannot win due to the Lang issue.

add the Warriors

I thought they might be a chance due to the ability of seige mentality to pull a team together, but the Villasanti refusal proves they haven't got what it takes this year.

That leaves me with these teams as a chance,

Broncos
Bulldogs
Cowboys
Roosters
Sea Eagles
Sharks
Storm
Tigers

Not sure about the Sharks either. They simply don't have a winning culture. They could've had one but didn't have the stomach to let Anderson finish the job.

parra73

Juniors
DJ1 said:
add Penrith to this list.

They cannot win due to the Lang issue.

add the Warriors

I thought they might be a chance due to the ability of seige mentality to pull a team together, but the Villasanti refusal proves they haven't got what it takes this year.

Broncos
Bulldogs
Cowboys
Roosters
Sea Eagles
Sharks
Storm
Tigers

Not sure about the Sharks either. They simply don't have a winning culture. They could've had one but didn't have the stomach to let Anderson finish the job.
ill have to disagree with manly, consistency will be the key with them, sharks as you said no winning culture so dont think they can, dogs as much as i hate them i respect for their tough mentality when the heats on, storm can be a suprise packet gave it to us in the trials but we had a lot out. the rest can go all the way, but like isaid anyone in the top 8 can win it, good luck for all teams in 06!

Johns Magic

Referee
DJ1 said:

Broncos
Bulldogs
Cowboys
Roosters
Sea Eagles
Sharks
Storm
Tigers

Oh but Norton, Webcke, Menzies, Kennedy, and Geyer will almost all likely retire this year, and You can't be sure what psychological effect that'll have on their team, so you can count out the Cowboys, Broncos, Sea Eagles and Storm.

Prince leaving will be too big a hurdle for the Tigers, so count them out.

Sharks have never won before, they're not psychologically strong. Count them out.

So I guess it's between the Bulldogs and Roosters this season. Actually, scratch that. Bulldogs have no halves. Let's just crown the Roosters premiers now :roll:

Latest posts