What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why expand?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Fair enough Shaggy but Port were not averaging 30,000 a game when they were in the SANFL.

The Warriors chnged their name to NZ because of when they broke. It was the same as starting a new company again without incurring the previous debts.

Is Bruce Walker still in charge of SARL?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Just came across this 2004 article by accident and apparently the NRL does have a strategic plan for expansion but it's secret...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/16/1092508373558.html

Gallop reiterated that the competition does have a strategic plan - never made public - and revealed it called for the competition to "define and achieve an appropriate geographical spread".

That spread has now been defined as "dominating the heartland" - including Gold Coast and Central Coast - and then going national on both sides of the Tasman.
I'm not sure what they mean by 'going national (in NZ)" but it's good news for CC fans I guess.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really as it clearly outlines that they want an exisiting club to move to the CC. As that looks unlikely to happen i can't see NSW getting another team for a decade.

I also wouldn't call those comments close to a strategic plan. 3 years on and where to next for the NRL, your guess is as good as mine!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Not really as it clearly outlines that they want an exisiting club to move to the CC. As that looks unlikely to happen i can't see NSW getting another team for a decade.

What I was getting at is that it appears they actually want a team on the CC. Gallop has said that the only way the CC is getting a team is with a relocation but at least we know they want a team there.

Perth Red said:
I also wouldn't call those comments close to a strategic plan. 3 years on and where to next for the NRL, your guess is as good as mine!
Well we haven't seen the plan, it might say:

2007: Add Gold Coast
2010: Add Perth and Brisbane 2
2015 etc etc

I'm just wondering why exactly they never released the plan to the public if they already have one drawn up. Maybe they're afraid of public backlash because it says they need to cull more Sydney teams or that they've given up on certain markets (Perth, Adelaide)?

bobmar28

Bench
Amalgamation of some Sydney teams would free up franchises for expansion and create Superclubs like Roosters/Sharks = East Coast Sharks. Eels/Panthers = Western Panthers.

Big Mick

Referee
how about the Bulldogs merge...seeing as you want others to merge?

If Penrith and Parra ever merged...I dunno what would happen...it'd just be stupid.

However...if it did happen...you'd have a pretty GUN team

1. Wesser, 2. Inu, 3. Jennings, 4. Hayne, 5. Grothe, 6. Lewis, 7. Finch, 8. Civoniceiva, 9. Priddis, 10. Cayless, 11. Pritchard, 12. Hindmarsh, 13. Mateo
14. Moi Moi, 15. F.Puletua, 16. Waterhouse, 17. Riddell/Aiton

Big Mick

Referee
I see no reason we can't have an 18-20 team competition in 10-15 years time.

If we don't undersell our game like we usually do, the TV rights should be huge like the AFL's rather than the sh*tty package we got now.

If we don't undersell the game, and show its true worth, there is not an issue at all...as more teams means greater player retention.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lockyer4President! said:
Well we haven't seen the plan, it might say:

2007: Add Gold Coast
2010: Add Perth and Brisbane 2
2015 etc etc

I'm just wondering why exactly they never released the plan to the public if they already have one drawn up. Maybe they're afraid of public backlash because it says they need to cull more Sydney teams or that they've given up on certain markets (Perth, Adelaide)?

Unlikely as Gallop last year announced he couldn't see anymore expansion for 10 years. Not exactly the motivational speech to get non RL areas excited about the prospect of one day having a NRL team.

If the NRL doesn't have any plans for a national league then they should have the balls to come out and say so.

bobmar28

Bench
Big Mick © said:
how about the Bulldogs merge...seeing as you want others to merge?

If Penrith and Parra ever merged...I dunno what would happen...it'd just be stupid.

However...if it did happen...you'd have a pretty GUN team

1. Wesser, 2. Inu, 3. Jennings, 4. Hayne, 5. Grothe, 6. Lewis, 7. Finch, 8. Civoniceiva, 9. Priddis, 10. Cayless, 11. Pritchard, 12. Hindmarsh, 13. Mateo
14. Moi Moi, 15. F.Puletua, 16. Waterhouse, 17. Riddell/Aiton
If the Bulldogs were merged with another team I could go along with that for the good of the game. It would be a superclub that would be unbeatable. I keep saying that 9 teams in Sydney is too many.

innsaneink

Referee
bobmar28 said:
If the Bulldogs were merged with another team I could go along with that for the good of the game. It would be a superclub that would be unbeatable. I keep saying that 9 teams in Sydney is too many.

Would you go along with it if they were called the Parramatta-Canterbury Eels and wore the Eels blue gold white strip?>

The Tank

Bench
Just on these "superclubs". They'd lose a sh*tload of players because they can't afford them under the salary cap so it wouldn't really help that much on-field. And off field it would be a disaster.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Once again, there is no reason the NRL can't eventually be a 20 team league. Income keeps getting bigger and bigger for the NRL and if we get the TV deal we deserve then there is no reason we can't have 20 teams eventually.

I would like to see some min criteria for clubs though like the SL so clubs can't just limp along on crowds of 12,000 in outdated stadiums unable to raise the salary cap because they can't financially cope with it.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Superclub, huh?? Just like St.George-Illawarra, Northern Eagles and West Tigers after they merged?

shaggy

Juniors
LeagueXIII said:
Fair enough Shaggy but Port were not averaging 30,000 a game when they were in the SANFL.

The Warriors chnged their name to NZ because of when they broke. It was the same as starting a new company again without incurring the previous debts.

Is Bruce Walker still in charge of SARL?

on the port crowd, 30,000 prob not but wouldnt be that far of the mark, as i said they exisisted as an sanfl club orgirnally which most fans of other teams hated due to their dominace (they have won the most premierships of any team in australia) so i doubt many people would allready change support to the power when they entered the afl

as for whats goin on in relation to south australia, that information seems to have dissapeared off the website, so hopefully it will re appear in a few months once the footy seaosn starts again

T to the T

Juniors
qldseaeagle96 said:
Not to mention we already had 20 clubs .......................in 1995.

Well done Rupert :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_season_1995

It's so frustrating looking at what we had :x The Northern Bears (Encompassing CC as well of course) and Western Reds need to be back by 2012. Then Southern Orcas in Wellington and Brisbane 2 in 2015. A clear map needs to be laid out for 20 sides for 2015. We need to defend our backyard and take the fight to the opposition, fight on all fronts instead of the NRL sitting on it's arse. The Gold Coast expansion was a start of righting wrongs, however plans need to be on the way now for the next phase. The WARL seem to be on the right path about admittance to the NRL in 2012, whats happening on the Bears front? Are they pressurising/seeking admittance to 1st grade again themselves?
I'm a student on the other side of the globe, the only news I get is from looking on these forums. The NRL has no clear plan but it definately looks like the WARL will be banging the NRL door come 2012, what about the Bears?

That's the immediate focus I feel anyway. Then SEQ and Wellington should be targeted in a similar process again in 3-5 years time. By 2025, ideally a 24 Continental League should exist with 4 more sides in Adelaide, Illawarra (The StGI merger is a joke, let Illawarra have their own side again), Sunshine Coast/Brisbane 3 and Christchurch.

Obviously this is years away however a roadmap for the NRL needs to be set out, similar to what International RL now has, otherwise the sport will continue to succumb to AFL, Union and Football

bobmar28

Bench
innsaneink said:
Would you go along with it if they were called the Parramatta-Canterbury Eels and wore the Eels blue gold white strip?>
Good point, the answer is no. There must be a way for a merger to work without one club virtually disappearing (Magpies/Steelers). Maybe a new name and colours.

bobmar28

Bench
T to the T said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_League_season_1995

It's so frustrating looking at what we had :x The Northern Bears (Encompassing CC as well of course) and Western Reds need to be back by 2012. Then Southern Orcas in Wellington and Brisbane 2 in 2015. A clear map needs to be laid out for 20 sides for 2015. We need to defend our backyard and take the fight to the opposition, fight on all fronts instead of the NRL sitting on it's arse. The Gold Coast expansion was a start of righting wrongs, however plans need to be on the way now for the next phase. The WARL seem to be on the right path about admittance to the NRL in 2012, whats happening on the Bears front? Are they pressurising/seeking admittance to 1st grade again themselves?
I'm a student on the other side of the globe, the only news I get is from looking on these forums. The NRL has no clear plan but it definately looks like the WARL will be banging the NRL door come 2012, what about the Bears?

That's the immediate focus I feel anyway. Then SEQ and Wellington should be targeted in a similar process again in 3-5 years time. By 2025, ideally a 24 Continental League should exist with 4 more sides in Adelaide, Illawarra (The StGI merger is a joke, let Illawarra have their own side again), Sunshine Coast/Brisbane 3 and Christchurch.

Obviously this is years away however a roadmap for the NRL needs to be set out, similar to what International RL now has, otherwise the sport will continue to succumb to AFL, Union and Football
Succumb to Union? How long have you been away?

T to the T

Juniors
Are you telling me that RL isn't losing any ground at all to other sports? Unless the NRL bucks it's ideas up then this will continue

bobmar28

Bench
T to the T said:
Are you telling me that RL isn't losing any ground at all to other sports? Unless the NRL bucks it's ideas up then this will continue
The ARU tried a new national comp in 07 and crashed spectacularly. AFL throws millions around in places they hope to expand in but have made no gains lately. I like the idea of a stand alone Steelers but what about the nine teams in Sydney?