What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Why I said no to Ricky": Lyon

firechild

First Grade
Seems very soft from Lyon, what drives this guy to star for the Sea Eagles is what I want to know now...

There isn't an angry mob waiting to lynch him every time he makes a mistake (though there's probably only been 1 of those in the last 5 years). I think in general NSW (fans and media) are far quicker to turn on players that don't perform to expectations. At club level Lyon hasn't had too many problems handling Inglis over the years but at origin level noone seems to be able to outperform Inglis. A the end of the day he might retire and regret decisions he's made but at the end of the day most players look back on their careers and premierships are top of the highlight list, he's won 2 and captained one of those so I don't think he'll look back on his career in a negative light.

Tommax25

Bench
Seems very soft from Lyon, what drives this guy to star for the Sea Eagles is what I want to know now..

But if he says his heart isn't in origin then fair enough, but the reasoning seems very very soft..

What drives him at the Sea Eagles is the close-knit nature of the group and the support of the fans. With NSW he doesn't have that. The motivation at Manly would probably be something like "I want to do my best for my mates and for the fans so that we can all be happy with the sucess of the team". With NSW its probably more like "I really hope I don't play badly because I'm going to cop shit from every angle afterwards". Big difference.

As a Manly fan I couldn't care less about NSW, and am happy Lyon doesn't play. I have seen countless players get smashed about from pillar to post in the media, talking to people, on the forums, by the coaches and all for ONE bad performance. If Lyon doens't want a bar of that shit good on him. NSSW made their bed with the culture they have created so now they can reap the rewards.

perverse

Referee
Geez, that is f**king soft. Brilliant player, but very soft in the head, and always has been. Would have been a regular pick in any origin team I'd name if he wanted to play. It's a shame.

Mr Fourex

Bench
You're a nuffie who only sees the noticeable. I assume you think Uate was the one at fault because it was his direct opponent that scored both tries? :roll:

Uhmmmm.......noooo

It was Uate, because UATE rushed up out of the line and left his man open. :crazy:

You're a dead set moron if you think otherwise......

perverse

Referee
Uate had to mark 2-3 blokes for each of those tries. He was at fault, but so were his inside men. for the first try, it was 4 on 2 for Morris and Uate. The second one was a bit worse for Uate, but there were still a lot of numbers and our defense wasn't sliding well. he probably could have done better on the second try. the first Boyd try was never going to be stopped, no matter who was defending there, though. too many numbers and a cool head from Thurston.

http://bigpondvideo.com/nrl/450690 <- can be watched here.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Who gives a f**k about the chubby softc*ck. Lets focus on the blokes who actually want to play for their state

Uhmmmm.......noooo

It was Uate, because UATE rushed up out of the line and left his man open. :crazy:

You're a dead set moron if you think otherwise......

because JM didn't slide.

if the winger continues to slide, but the centre fails to, then where will the hole be?

Once JM stopped sliding, Uate had to defend that the area JM failed to cover.

If Uate came rushed in to defend the player that Morris already had covered and left his man open, then yes, it would be on Uate. but it was Morris who stuffed up, he stopped to take the man who was already covered by his inside men in Carney & G Stewart, failed to pick up the second to last man in the QLD attack, and Uate had to fill the void.

At least Uate forced the pass on both occasions. He would've been partly responsible if he just allowed the inside attacker free passage to the line.

Loudstrat

Coach
Lyon could handle Inglis. Lyon handled everyone in hos old Origin days, including Hodges - easily. I doubt if this is about Inglis - although the irony if he did would be delicious!

It is about his fragile ego though. Clearly, he cannot cope with criticism. That's why he walked out on us in the first place.

I'd love to see him in a blue jumper. Not worth losing sleep over it though.

MSIH

Bench
Good on him. He copped a fair bit when he first returned, and now all those people who stuck the boot in are sucking up his arse wanting him back. That said, it's probably not the reason he doesn't want to play at all.

Lyon's an elite centre; I'd say he'd make Manly's greatest ever side if picked today. You can't perform to his standard in big games for so long if you're soft in the head. To say he's soft in the head is quite ridiculous.

soc123_au

Staff member
At least he is true to himself, if feels he doesnt have the passion for it then best he stays on the sidelines. The best thing he could do for NSW is "ring Gids" and convince him that he should do the same. A call to Creagh probably wouldnt hurt either.

typicalfan

Coach
Who cares. Most talented right centre in the game but he has made terrible decisions in his career. Lets worry about guys who want to play. Any reason he gave would seem soft anyway.

No guarantee he would handle Inglis in this form anyway, J Morris did a pretty good job, those tries came from ill discipline earlier in sets. Morris bundling Inglis over the sideline was one of the best tackles in the game.

gUt

Coach
When he came back from England it was with how many Man of Steel awards? Who then criticized his selection for NSW? Who was he keeping out, that the media didn't like?

broncos70

Juniors
Jamie Lyon best club centre? The Broncs struggle to win when Hodgo is missing. I'll take Hodges over Lyon any week.

Lyon got humiliated by Inglis and decided that he shouldn't bother trying again because he knows it's gonna happen again. Smart decision.

Big Pete

Referee
I'd imagine the criticism was private because the only criticism I remember came in 06 where he was famously selected out of the ESL to play for Australia. Some people may have been upset with his 07 NSW stint but I don't remember it being prevalent. Largely because beggers couldn't be choosers. Gaz did his pec in the Charity Shield, Tahu was injured & the other options were guys like Collis, Lewis, El Masri, rookie Josh Morris, Quinn, Graham & Roberts.

Loudstrat said:
Lyon handled everyone in hos old Origin days, including Hodges - easily.

McKenna would like to have some words with you.

Hooch

Juniors
Lyon's an elite centre; I'd say he'd make Manly's greatest ever side if picked today. You can't perform to his standard in big games for so long if you're soft in the head. To say he's soft in the head is quite ridiculous.

That's true.

Lyon is a strange one. For whatever reason, the drive he has to perform for his club just isn't there at the rep level.

In another one of these articles about Lyon from a while back they talked about how he was over the travelling and all the rest of it and didn't want to spend any more time away from his family and home life than he needs to.

Maybe to him it's all just footy and he's sick of the bs and doesn't have anything to prove.

You can respect him for being up front about it. If he doesn't want to play, that's fine, don't play. At least it's not this bullshit where they were trying to pick him when he clearly didn't want to be there, that was truly f**king ridiculous.

DeeJ

Bench
At least he isn't doing it for the money like Tamou or demanding $50,000 per origin game.