What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Why I said no to Ricky": Lyon

Yosh

Coach
Meh, probably better he doesn't play with that mind set. Unfortunate really because we could really do with some Lyon in the team...

Boganater

Juniors
Some may say pea heart, soft pubic wig, girl or whatever.
I say he's refreshingly honest, I'd rather him say his heart isn't in it than play like Gasnier last year.

Bretto

Bench
I forgot, Inglis only plays 3 good games a year in SOO.

Your point is redundant. The thread and article is about State Of Origin. It has nothing to do with club football. It's to do with Jamie Lyon saying no to State Of Origin football. Nothing to with club football. :lol:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Weak. He didn't quit playing for Manly when Eels fans called him Judas, got super aggressive towards him etc so why in this instance.

Confidence is a gigantic factor in the performance of top-level sportsmen of all stripes. Find a way to strip their confidence, and watch their performance fall away.

Most if not all of the players who get selected for Origin are either the elite of the game or those who are playing at their career-best form. Enduring a consequential run of Origin defeats affects the confidence of some players dreadfully. They go back to their club teams crestfallen. They don't bounce back easily.

Not all players are affected that way, but it must be acknowledged that some are. That is without reference to the shellacking that they receive from the aggrieved fans.

I can see that some players are trying to protect their confidence, knowing that they are good for no-one without it. It's nice to be considered for rep footy, but it is club form which puts the bread on the table. If your defeats at Origin level are eating away at your week to week form, a line has to be drawn in the sand. It's an individual decision. Not every player has to make it, but for those who need to make it because they recognise the signs, the realisation is there that life without Origin goes on. Life without a club contract is not the preferred option.

firechild

First Grade
I think it's all theoretical anyway.

Even if Lyon made himself available for selection and was 100% keen to play, I still wouldn't pick him. He has played 5 Origin games and NSW has lost all 5 (the only other player with a record like that is B. Morris). I don't ever remember him having a good game for NSW in any of those 5.

Jamie Lyon made his origin debut in a 32-4 win. It was the first of his 10 origin appearances. But don't let facts get in the way of your dribble.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well when he was an eel, he played in a winning team. Now he is a seagle he plays in a losing one.

Clearly it is Manly's fault NSW lose. You give the NSW team so much. Wolfman, Stewarts, Buhrer, Lyon, King and Perry. Watmough may be an exception in 2005 - but now - NSW lost that game.

Kite when playing for ST George played like a champ in origin. Since moving to Manly he was limp.

You can go through history too, Krilich, Phil Daley, Hasler, Lyons, OConnor all Origin losers overall at Manly.

It is a relevant trend.

The only exceptions are probably Roberts, Toovey and maybe Terry Hill.

I hate Manly. Bring back the Bears.

Edit: Cleal was probably more a dead heat.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Well when he was an eel, he played in a winning team. Now he is a seagle he plays in a losing one.

Clearly it is Manly's fault NSW lose. You give the NSW team so much. Stewarts, Buhrer, Lyon, King and Perry. Watmough may be an exception in 2005 - but now - NSW lost that game.

Kite when playing for ST George played like a champ in origin. Since moving to Manly he was limp.

You can go through history too, Hasler, Lyons, OConnor all Origin losers overall at Manly.

It is a relevant trend.

The only exceptions are probably Roberts and Toovey.

I hate Manly. Bring back the Bears.

Best post to come out of a Queenslandahhh all year!

Manly are scum, Game one was Buhrers fault and we got Eagles lining up to throw away game two, im backing one of the Stewarts :sarcasm:.

On top off all this when Manly do develop a decent player they damn sure aint from NSW! Foran, Cherry-Evans...thanks a lot Manly!

farmeister

Juniors
Jamie Lyon made his origin debut in a 32-4 win. It was the first of his 10 origin appearances. But don't let facts get in the way of your dribble.

My bad. I should have said his last 5 games for NSW, which have all been losses. He did play a few games all the way back in 2002-3, and he may have done well in those.

But that was 10 years ago. I still can't think of a good performance in any of the 5 Origin matches he's played since 2003.

^_^

Juniors
Yep its all Manly's fault....& to top it all off they f**king win premierships to rub it in our faces :lol:

You b1tches are hilarious!!!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Yep its all Manly's fault....& to top it all off they f**king win premierships to rub it in our faces :lol:

You b1tches are hilarious!!!

No they were handed a premiership to stop them from bitching.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Lyon : Im sorry Sticky im just too soft with severe mental scarring.
Sticky : Youll fit right in son!!

KennyatWembley

Juniors
He was welcomed with open arms, and Ricky Stuart even begged him to come back.

It would pay to read the article at hand.

Lyon said he didn't like getting criticised for his shit performances, so he had a cry and went home, never to play again. Being dominated by Greg Inglis game in game out wouldn't be my idea of a fun time either. He's a pea heart. Talented, but a pea heart.
I was talking more pre- his walkabout days back home.