What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why i think Dureau is better than Walsh and Mullen

roopy

Referee
Our SG Ball side of 2003 was a pretty handy side.
Dureau was the halfback for the entire 9 game season, and the 5/8 was a guy named Leigh Abel. Dureau was on fire that season, and Abel was our top tryscorer with 12 tries from 9 games by basically camPanthersng in the hip pocket of Dureau and getting put through so many gaps it was unreal.
We would have gone very close to winning the title in 2003, but Dureau Pantherscked up a dislocated shoulder right before the finals and his understudy, Luke Walsh, was no Scott Dureau. Jarrod Mullen had two games in the centres i think.

At the start of the 2004 Ball season Dureau was coming back from his shoulder injury so Walsh started the season at halfback, and they went for Mullen at 5/8 and moved Abel to the centres.
The new combo was pretty good, but Dureau was coming off the bench late in the game and several times i remember him being the game breaker - he was still better than the other two. Mid season he did his shoulder again, but made it back for the finals, but by this time Walsh and Mullen were the hot combination - which didn't stop Dureau being the X-factor off the bench that saw us win the title.
In 2005 Walsh was in Ball, Dureau in Flegg and Mullen in PL.
Ball were rubbish with Walsh at the helm.
Flegg were fair but not great with Dureau.

We all know what happened in 2006 - Walsh and Dureau played Flegg - but Walsh was injured or in PL for much of the season, and it was mostly Dureau who had them firing all season - and Walshy was back fit just in time to lead us to a loss in the grandfinal.

All three are great halves - but i really don't think it is a coincidence that our best form in the juniors was when Dureau played either 6 or 7 for extended periods.

keeney

First Grade
Why are there Panthers in certain words?

And you have enormous raps on Dureau, I'd like to see him play, Walsh just rubs me as being too small to be effective for that long, let alone a lasting career.

roopy

Referee
keeney said:
Why are there Panthers in certain words?

And you have enormous raps on Dureau, I'd like to see him play, Walsh just rubs me as being too small to be effective for that long, let alone a lasting career.
all three are fantastic players.
I actually think we need three good halves to win - and Dureau makes a perfect 5/8 outside walsh and a perfect half inside Mullen.

If i have a point, it is that we need Dureau just as much as the other two - and if we sign all three we should have fantastic halves all the time.

aqua_duck

Coach
If I'm not mistaken Dureau is the oldest of he 3, so whilst he was playing aganst guys his age, Mullo and Walsh were playing against guys 1 year above them in the juniors, and that can be a big thing, especially with a small guy like Luke Walsh

We are very lucky to have all three at the moment. However Duerea could be a casualty of the cap at some stage. Too good to be in premmies for the rest of his career. That said Walshy looks a very exciting prospect. His held up pass which led to a try against the tigers was pure genius. You can't teach that. The too small thing doesn't wash with me. Remember Alfie. Same was said about him. We all know what happened after that.

roopy

Referee
Both Walsh and Dureau have had plenty of injuries - Walsh seems to have dodgy legs and Dureau has a dodgy shoulder.
Both are amazingly gifted playmakers and prolific tryscorers in their own right.
An interesting stat is that Walsh played 11 games of PL last season and his 9 tries had him the top tryscorer in PL till the last few games of the year when Tighe managed to go to 12 tries from his 21 games - and Dureau picked up 18 in Flegg from 21 games, and is our top tryscorer in PL this year despite missing a few games.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Give it a rest Roopy. You won't sleep until Dureau gets a run in first grade will you ;-)

roopy

Referee
I'm pushing his barrow because no one else is.

We are all talking about the 100s of thousands we need to spend on more forwards and backs to play PL next season - but what we really need to spend 100k on is a third outstanding young half to cover for injuries.

I don't think we can win a premiership with Abes at 5/8 or kidley at halfback.

Vicious

Bench
Interesting read as from a rival supporters prospective, Luke Walsh has been extremely impressive in each of his first grade appearances thus far. If Dureau is the equal or better than Luke Walsh as a halfback then i despertaely want him at the Tigers!!!

Latest posts