What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why i think Dureau is better than Walsh and Mullen

roopy

Referee
Vicious said:
Interesting read as from a rival supporters prospective, Luke Walsh has been extremely impressive in each of his first grade appearances thus far. If Dureau is the equal or better than Luke Walsh as a halfback then i despertaely want him at the Tigers!!!
f**k off - get your bloody eyes off him.

roopy

Referee
His younger brother played flegg for saints last year - and will probably play under 20s for saints next year - you can have him.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Vicious said:
Interesting read as from a rival supporters prospective, Luke Walsh has been extremely impressive in each of his first grade appearances thus far. If Dureau is the equal or better than Luke Walsh as a halfback then i despertaely want him at the Tigers!!!

Whats wrong with John Morris? You already have one novacatrian half, dont be greedy. Produce your own juniors. You do have 2 clubs to choose from.

Yosh

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
Thanks for clearing that up.

BIG LOL:eek:

How come B. Smith doesnt give him a run? Is it due to injuries? There must be some sort of special reason right... Guess my question doesnt really have an answer unless your Mr Smith himself...

I think Walsh has played really well, and will probably only get better. Maybe the Walsh/Mullen combination factor has soemthing to do with it.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Apart from missed tackles walshy was good in attack last night, he seemed to have his hands on the ball more than mullo. I expected mullo to lead him around a bit more, but walshy was doing all the organising.

roopy

Referee
sneaky_is_here said:
Apart from missed tackles walshy was good in attack last night, he seemed to have his hands on the ball more than mullo. I expected mullo to lead him around a bit more, but walshy was doing all the organising.
Walshy has the brains - Mullo is the athlete - that is the team.

Holla

Juniors
Walsh's game will only get better with time. However I would like to see him take a leaf out of Preston Campbell's book on defense.
I can't recall the last time I saw Preston attempt to tackle above the waist.
He has developed a great lower leg takedown that whips the legs from underneath any player, big or small.
They go down so quick that most times the tackled player doesn't have time to look around to unload the ball.
Another small halfback named Langer developed a tackle where his leg wrapped around the player he was tackling & he more or less pushed against his own leg to bring them down. This style did cause him to break his leg one year, so I don't really recommend it as a guiode for Walshy.
My point is though that there is always a way to do the job no matter how big or small you are.

Yosh

Coach
Holla said:
Walsh's game will only get better with time. However I would like to see him take a leaf out of Preston Campbell's book on defense.
I can't recall the last time I saw Preston attempt to tackle above the waist.
He has developed a great lower leg takedown that whips the legs from underneath any player, big or small.
They go down so quick that most times the tackled player doesn't have time to look around to unload the ball.
Another small halfback named Langer developed a tackle where his leg wrapped around the player he was tackling & he more or less pushed against his own leg to bring them down. This style did cause him to break his leg one year, so I don't really recommend it as a guiode for Walshy.
My point is though that there is always a way to do the job no matter how big or small you are.

Preston is a shocking defender, has to hide and stuff. Langer was a good defender some how. Hopefully Walsh takes a leaf out of Langer's book.

The thing is Walsh never waits for the player to run him over, always aggressive and goes into make the tackle, which shows to me he is up for it. He might miss the tackle but I have yet to see a solid line break because of a Walsh misstackle. (I might have missed one...but I'm pretty sure I haven't);-)

keeney

First Grade
Langer was a tripper. It's a good tactic when you're that small though. I honestly won't commit to Walsh long term if he doesn't bulk up and work on his defense. The reason so many halfbacks are 'the next big thing' is because they are genuinely talented, and these talents are enough to make them look like superstars until the opposition figures them out. From here most fade away as cracks in their game are exposed and they don't have the creativity to adapt. Walsh may be creative enough, but if he is run at constantly, teams will score points against us. Look at last night.

It's not normal for a FG player to be missing as many tackles as he makes.

roopy

Referee
we all know Walsh is young enough to play Flegg still don't we.

he is tiny, but he has plenty of growth to come.

keeney

First Grade
I guess I base it off the fact I'm young enough to play flegg, and haven't grown at all in years. Not bitching about the kid, just guarding my affections. I've been hurt in the past.

roopy

Referee
keeney said:
I guess I base it off the fact I'm young enough to play flegg, and haven't grown at all in years. Not bitching about the kid, just guarding my affections. I've been hurt in the past.
The only explanation for him eating like a horse and not putting on an ounze is that he must have a metabolism that burns calories like no ones business - which means he must be a little ball of muscle - either that or he has worms.

freeridermx

Juniors
hey roopy im with you on this and i have said it before that i think scotty is better then walsh every time ive seen them play he has been the better player. but walsh was still impressive but scott was better .
but walsh has looked the goods in the few game he has played in grade so i just wonder how scott would look in firsts ,as he always looked better anyway in the lower grades.

i`m guessing smithy does rate him as he wasnt talked about but walsh was even when he was injuried and scotty was killing it .

roopy

Referee
freeridermx said:
hey roopy im with you on this and i have said it before that i think scotty is better then walsh every time ive seen them play he has been the better player. but walsh was still impressive but scott was better .
but walsh has looked the goods in the few game he has played in grade so i just wonder how scott would look in firsts ,as he always looked better anyway in the lower grades.

i`m guessing smithy does rate him as he wasnt talked about but walsh was even when he was injuried and scotty was killing it .
I think the one thing that is obvious is that Smith loves a guy who trains hard - and Walsh is apparently training his guts out trying to put on weight, while i have heard rumors (from certain people on this forum) that Dureau has been known to put in huge hours - on the playstation.

Serc

First Grade
Just out of interest - I was a skinny 175cm/60kg fella from 17-20 years of age, and in the past 2 years I've put on an easy 10kg (now 175cm/70kg) without even trying after eating like a horse for years before that. I've also lost a fair bit of my appetite now too. Obviously everyone's different but maybe something like that will happen to Walshy in the next 2-3 years.

Johns Magic

Referee
daveserc said:
Just out of interest - I was a skinny 175cm/60kg fella from 17-20 years of age, and in the past 2 years I've put on an easy 10kg (now 175cm/70kg) without even trying after eating like a horse for years before that. I've also lost a fair bit of my appetite now too. Obviously everyone's different but maybe something like that will happen to Walshy in the next 2-3 years.

Have you put on fat or muscle?

Serc

First Grade
More fat lol - though I think its more general filling out rather than excess weight if you get what I mean.

My general activity hasn't changed since I was 18 pretty much. But if I was still as active as I was when I was 16/17/18 i'd be a bit more toned!!!

Latest posts