What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why ignore our history?

BBTB

Juniors
The reason the Dogs sacked Hasler is because they lost their DNA. I remember when Mortimer stated it ages ago. They bring in an old boy and they are now slowly regaining that DNA.

Saints losing their DNA is the fault of the 2 coaches that took over after Bennett as Saints were playing like the team that had a proud history and a great DNA. Just because you played for the club does not mean you will always have the clubs interest at hand. One way this stands out to me is when your team is getting flogged you should feel bitter and not smiling as if nothing happened straight after in a conference. I saw that with Price and Mary too many times for my liking. They go to a conference and it is all a joke. That is the most obvious for me. Dean Pay and Ricky Stuart have never laughed off or even smiled on a bad performance. You can see in their faces that they are going to tear strips out of their players and get a reaction. When you hear Mary and Price make out that it was a 1 off and we have time to make the 8, that shows that are not changing anything just hoping they get better doing what they are doing. There is no shame in a bad performance just this attitude of next week will be better. If those are not red flags then nothing is and it is clear the guys at the top don't bother looking at press conferences, performances etc just happy to turn up to work the next day and get their huge paycheck. That is the DNA of the club that filters through now which starts from the top. Just turn up, get paid every week and go through the motions. No care factor at all for the club and it's fans because the hard work these old guys did in the 50-60' to make this a great club is making these lazy blokes live like kings on past glories.
Great point...
Definitely agree...
These old boy uncredentialed fools, are slowly strangling our St George club into nonexistence..

The reason the Dogs sacked Hasler is because they lost their DNA. I remember when Mortimer stated it ages ago. They bring in an old boy and they are now slowly regaining that DNA.

Saints losing their DNA is the fault of the 2 coaches that took over after Bennett as Saints were playing like the team that had a proud history and a great DNA. Just because you played for the club does not mean you will always have the clubs interest at hand. One way this stands out to me is when your team is getting flogged you should feel bitter and not smiling as if nothing happened straight after in a conference. I saw that with Price and Mary too many times for my liking. They go to a conference and it is all a joke. That is the most obvious for me. Dean Pay and Ricky Stuart have never laughed off or even smiled on a bad performance. You can see in their faces that they are going to tear strips out of their players and get a reaction. When you hear Mary and Price make out that it was a 1 off and we have time to make the 8, that shows that are not changing anything just hoping they get better doing what they are doing. There is no shame in a bad performance just this attitude of next week will be better. If those are not red flags then nothing is and it is clear the guys at the top don't bother looking at press conferences, performances etc just happy to turn up to work the next day and get their huge paycheck. That is the DNA of the club that filters through now which starts from the top. Just turn up, get paid every week and go through the motions. No care factor at all for the club and it's fans because the hard work these old guys did in the 50-60' to make this a great club is making these lazy blokes live like kings on past glories.
Whatever you may think about Bennett he exudes old school values.
We are nothing but a traditional club. One of the great clubs of any era in fact.
We shouldn't pretend to be anything else.
So Bennett came to us and the first thing he did was put our history and tradition on a pedestal for all to see and buy into.
The way he managed to instill that tradition and pride into what was largely a new roster, was the reason we won 2 minor premierships and a title which is now written in the history books.
He also provided a culture for others to follow and build on.
Instead, we were saddled with Price and now the smirking, multi extended McGregor.
Unfortunately, not only did we learn nothing from Bennett's tenure whatsoever, the club in their wisdom have chosen the road to mediocrity and destruction.
The problem is not that the coach is an old boy.
The problem is that he was never qualified to coach a FG NRL team in the first place.
Total incompetence at play here.

Hardly. They are two completely separate things.

The history has occurred. You can’t erase history.

Culture ebbs and flows, depending on who is currently in the joint.
Even giving credence to your "ebb and flow" culture, history and tradition are, by definition, ingrained.
Otherwise we could go out every week and wear different coloured strips, change the emblem on our jersey's, sing a different team song every week and so on.
That isn't happening and all those elements are being perpetuated and are undeniably part of our history AND our culture.
They are not in the past, they exist today.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Even giving credence to your "ebb and flow" culture, history and tradition are, by definition, ingrained.
Otherwise we could go out every week and wear different coloured strips, change the emblem on our jersey's, sing a different team song every week and so on.
That isn't happening and all those elements are being perpetuated and are undeniably part of our history AND our culture.
They are not in the past, they exist today.
Germany has the nazis in their history.

Does this mean that they are culturally nazis in the present day?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I am sure you can conjure up many extreme analogies but they don't apply to St. George.
The St. George legacy can not be seriously equated to the Nazis.
I’m not comparing St George to the Nazis.

I’m highlighting the concept that history and culture being two separate things by applying them to a matter in which your judgement is not clouded like it is with St George.

It’s called critical thinking.

Now.. Answer the question.

This is not an uninteresting discussion, perhaps a tad terse.

We need to be careful with “history” and not confuse it with “fact.”

I think the same may be said about culture.

League unlimited footy “ culture” is way ahead of the legacy tv and radio media.

A lot of our participants are far more interesting and entertaining, more creative and daring.

Smart phones and PCs are the future of the culture of the game for the foreseeable future. New tech beyond that, whatever that will be.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is not an uninteresting discussion, perhaps a tad terse.

We need to be careful with “history” and not confuse it with “fact.”

I think the same may be said about culture.

League unlimited footy “ culture” is way ahead of the legacy tv and radio media.

A lot of our participants are far more interesting and entertaining, more creative and daring.

Smart phones and PCs are the future of the culture of the game for the foreseeable future. New tech beyond that, whatever that will be.
You could find a similar result across the overall internet vs the traditional media..

The freedom of access that anyone now has to get their message across in this country, whether that message is right or wrong, provides the ability us all to operate in a manner in which we would more normally converse..

Compare this to the structured, regulated and edited nature of the media and you’ll find more entertainment online..

The only issue is sometimes you have to search harder for it..

You could find a similar result across the overall internet vs the traditional media..

The freedom of access that anyone now has to get their message across in this country, whether that message is right or wrong, provides the ability us all to operate in a manner in which we would more normally converse..

Compare this to the structured, regulated and edited nature of the media and you’ll find more entertainment online..

The only issue is sometimes you have to search harder for it..

I couldn’t agree more.

Headcount of my immediate surviving family: only 1 in 6 still watches tv and even then, it’s only sbs and she trips the light fandango with the odd abc uk soap and doc to zone out.

So we might have a country with less shared beliefs, but I can’t say that’s a bad thing.

There’s a lecture on mass media I’ve been watching on the net recently. It’s focus is on the tech. I am up to the 19th century.

They had envisaged a kind of Skype in the late 1700’s ( see below)

I guess everyone of every era thinks they are the cats whiskers in terms of tech!

Source: Media studies Gresham college uk. Google away!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Hardly. They are two completely separate things.

The history has occurred. You can’t erase history.

Culture ebbs and flows, depending on who is currently in the joint.
History gets erased all the time. Just ask David Middleton.

Let's find a stats nerd and make him custodian of the heritage and history of our game... what could possibly go wrong?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
History gets erased all the time. Just ask David Middleton.

Let's find a stats nerd and make him custodian of the heritage and history of our game... what could possibly go wrong?
History is written by the winners..

Moral of the story: keep winning..

SaintPauli

Juniors
Joint Venture. A merger is something different.

A JV is regularly reviewed. It can continue as is, be altered or come to an end. The JV we have now is quite different to the one that was signed in 1998.
Thanks Willow

Okay when you say different now?
What has changed ? and why did the change occur?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thanks Willow

Okay when you say different now?
What has changed ? and why did the change occur?
As part of the sale to WIN, Illawarra got St George’s premierships..

So the official premiere tally now stands at:

St George Illawarra: 1
St George: 0
Illawarra: 15

SaintPauli

Juniors
As part of the sale to WIN, Illawarra got St George’s premierships..

So the official premiere tally now stands at:

St George Illawarra: 1
St George: 0
Illawarra: 15
Thanks Muzby.

You always seem to make sense of important questions requiring clarity!

I might just wait for Willow's reponse.

Thanks Muzby.

You always seem to make sense of important questions requiring clarity!

I might just wait for Willow's reponse.

There’s some information on the Changes on wikipedia,but you might have research the reasons as to the why.

Sometimes the reasons are shrouded in mystery ( like Marys miraculous extension).

A lot of people thought the war in Iraq was cool at the time. I went to China contemporaneously and they had no idea wtf Australia was doing over there!

There’s a book called “ why leaders lie” which is an interesting read. Thesis alert: They usually lie to their own people!

I’m not comparing St George to the Nazis.

I’m highlighting the concept that history and culture being two separate things by applying them to a matter in which your judgement is not clouded like it is with St George.

It’s called critical thinking.

Now.. Answer the question.
The question has been answered but maybe the answer doesn't suit you.
Let me break it down for you further so you can understand the concept.
Australia day is celebrated every year - in the present.
Being Australian has evolved through our history.
Captain Cook, Colonization, Federation, 2 world wars, Vietnam, Being a member of the Commonwealth, English language that we speak today and so on.
While all those elements commenced in the past, they are part of our present day existence and culture.
Hope that makes it easier for you Musby.