What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is perth bid so secretive?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don’t they have a new “major stadium” for AFL already? doubt they are building an AAMI Park there for the NRL … that could be a bridge too far ..
They dont need to. HBF is fit for NRL now. To help a new club a new west stand and possibly roof over south stand would assist with revenue generation.

In all honesty my list is where the NRL should be opening negotiations. WA govt can afford it, they can justify it by talking about benefit to all sports at HBF and thats all an NRL perth bid needs in reality. Its nothing like what PNG, or Tassie in AFL, requires as its largely strong enough anyway to stand on its own two feet.

If NRL can get WA govt invest $155mill in RL thats a massive win for the game here and gives NRL a perfect club 18 or 19 to grow the game in the best new market it has got.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Honestly, I doubt they'll do that too and I don't they'll do enough to beat PNG.

It seems like PNG are “in” one one or another …given the quotes from PNG and AUS governments we have been reading these past 2 weeks l.

The proposed dates for PNG of 2027 OR 2028 in my optimistic view open the slightest of windows for someone ( Perth) to try to beat them to the punch for Team 18 in 2026… It would be ballsy from PVL and require some gutsy calls from the WA Government … probably a pipe dream .. But the NRL is getting a quasi “free” team from the Aust Govt in 2028 … so they could consider a risky move …

docbrown

Coach
It seems like PNG are “in” one one or another …given the quotes from PNG and AUS governments we have been reading these past 2 weeks l.

The proposed dates for PNG of 2027 OR 2028 in my optimistic view open the slightest of windows for someone ( Perth) to try to beat them to the punch for Team 18 in 2026… It would be ballsy from PVL and require some gutsy calls from the WA Government … probably a pipe dream .. But the NRL is getting a quasi “free” team from the Aust Govt in 2028 … so they could consider a risky move …
Yep that's pretty much it. Any other bid basically has to open the coffers.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
f**k me some people just walk straight into that dumb wall dont they?

Wow the glory were in receivership

I thought wa had a booming economy and sports could get major sponsorship done

the collapse in their crowds (like the force) and the insolvency shows what a tough ask it is for non afl clubs in Perth

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
They dont need to. HBF is fit for NRL now. To help a new club a new west stand and possibly roof over south stand would assist with revenue generation.

In all honesty my list is where the NRL should be opening negotiations. WA govt can afford it, they can justify it by talking about benefit to all sports at HBF and thats all an NRL perth bid needs in reality. Its nothing like what PNG, or Tassie in AFL, requires as its largely strong enough anyway to stand on its own two feet.

If NRL can get WA govt invest $155mill in RL thats a massive win for the game here and gives NRL a perfect club 18 or 19 to grow the game in the best new market it has got.
Perth red … 150 million of govt money into a Perth nrl size …. Massive win for rugby league

Perth red …600 million of govt money into a png nrl side and pathways … bad thing for rugby league

Iamback

Coach
That's all bare minimum stuff. The thing is Perth Red laughs at the PNG bid but they've got 2 federal governments behind them pushing it and likely tens of millions of dollars a year.

So will the bare minimum cut it?

Which feeds into a 2nd tier setup.

Having an NRL side means they are able to pay promising kids.

Making them less reliant on leaving early and helping the family by going to work. That helps increase the player pool also

Iamback

Coach

If they are based in Australia, That cancels out the biggest negative the bid had.

Maximus

Coach
If they are based in Australia, That cancels out the biggest negative the bid had.

And creates a negative that is just as big, if not bigger.

How can people support a bid that is in a country that is so poverty-stricken and dangerous that players can't even be there for more than 24 hrs?

Latest posts