What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the NFL so successful

taste2taste

Juniors
The NFL seems to buck nearly every trend that all other sporting competitions use, yet its one of the best run and successful competitions in world sport.

-No sponsorship on jerseys

-No Sponsorship logos on the field

-They dont change uniforms every season to force fans to buy new jerseys

-Black outs into local markets if the game isnt a sell out, would cost them millions in advertising dollars.

-16 game season, lengthening the season by 8 weeks would make them millions in tv deals and gates.

I believe some English Premier League owners have been observing how the NFL is run, perhaps David Gallop could as well.

Smith Machine

Juniors
size of the country in terms of numbers and size of the economy. Lots more money to spend with more people to spend the money.

shiznit

Coach
its a great point to raise though.... i think the NRL could pick up a fair bit from the NFL...

like i said in another thread... i like how the Superbowl is an annual event that gets spread around the country. Cities bid for the right to host it...

Angry_eel

First Grade
its a great point to raise though.... i think the NRL could pick up a fair bit from the NFL...

like i said in another thread... i like how the Superbowl is an annual event that gets spread around the country. Cities bid for the right to host it...

Exactly, NFL has ignored "tradition" while still keeping sponsors off jerseys.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Exactly, NFL has ignored "tradition" while still keeping sponsors off jerseys.

300 million and a fat tv deal, you can afford to do that (the same with nba, mlb, nhl)

certain teams having a 'catchment' area the size of australia.

there's no real need to analyse this anymore

Usain Bolt

Bench
Although one of the weird things i is the 2nd biggest city in the USA, LA. does not have an NFL team whereas towns like Green Bay with their 100,000 populations and Pittsburgh, New Orleans and Cincy (around 300,000 pop.) have teams that are successful

VictoryFC

Bench
Couple of reasons. Remember that the NFL wasn't the most popular league up until very recently. Baseball is known as the national past time, but many would agree that baseball has been usurped by gridiron in the past 20-30 years.

- Population is one of course. It obviously helps.
- Economic value of having a local team forces the hand of cities to fund or partly fund new stadiums
- TV deals shared across all major networks including ESPN
- Sure, they might not having advertising on shirts or on boards, but the advertising is just about everywhere else you look
- Extending the season isn't an option. The players can't take 24 weeks + playoffs during a season. It takes its toll, which is why the NFL is hesitant to extend the season
- The competitive nature of the league
- Very rich history and support at college level - thats where it started

Plus many more reasons. Also, it becomes a lot less impressive when you realize that of the 8 home games teams have, a number of them can't even sell those out.

They all have massive stadia. I don't think a few empty seats is a big problem. Some franchises have membership waiting lists a mile long and charge high prices.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Because Americans are idiots. No other reason.

There is no marketing secret, Americans are idiots. That's the genuine anwser.

And I don't think English premier league owners need to observe anything. They have a far better system in place. There's 5 different professional soccer leagues in England alone. And the EPS(English Premier League) makes far more on international TV rights than the NFL can dream of. The NFL have to practically give away their TV rights internationally. Nobody is willing to pay any real money.

The NFL is a vechile for marketing. That's all it is. It's 3 hours of adverts with 30 minutes of gridiron thrown in. Their success comes on the back of their format and the money that format generates.

For the NRL to do what the NFL do you would literally have to kill the game of League. That's the only way. You won't generate enough money to throw around otherwise. Not only that, but you have to factor in how big America is. They have a population FIFTEEN times the size of Australia.

The only thing impressive in what the NFL has done is actually brainwashing a nation into believing the 'sport' has genuine entertainment value.

So even if you did ruin the great game of league and turned it into an advertisment fest, you'd still come nowhere near accomplishing what the NFL have done because of the simple numbers game.

hrundi99

First Grade
They don't put sponsors on jerseys (other than merch providers) because it's a tradition not to, but because they receive such a significant amount of revenue from tv rights, stadium branding, stadium advertising, season tix and general ticketing, merch, etc.

Dogs Of War

Coach
They all have massive stadia. I don't think a few empty seats is a big problem. Some franchises have membership waiting lists a mile long and charge high prices.

Empty seats is a problem. As the NFL uses local blackouts if the game is not sold out by a certain day.

Empty seats is a problem. As the NFL uses local blackouts if the game is not sold out by a certain day.

Yes, and perhaps other ignorant, uninformed people should read a bit more instead of coming on here and bullsh*ting.

Here is a link to Time about nfl blackouts.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1921401,00.html

A telling quote: ....only nine of the NFL's 256 regular-season games last year [2008] were blacked out

This, guys, in a year when detroit went 0-16!!! LMAO. lost 16 and still sold out some games....wow....

they are worried about detroit this year (a little) because 30% of the motor city is unemployed.

turns out the black out rule is indeed not the culprit.....economic crisis, anyone? Teams unwilling to lower ticket prices, etc....I guess they are testing the fans passion.

Rugby highlights: one of the most bitter and cynical and utterly atrocious posts ever. they like nfl, ok, suck a lemon. some people like rugby union....i cringe, but each to his own.

You are wrong about the EPL too. Time did another story a couple of years back. The NFL is the richest league by far. The EPL, even with international rights is still either second or third. You see, my good friend, the tv rights domestically and internationally only make up half the picture....one must also look at game day income and sponsors. In this area, the NFL are miles ahead. It dwarfs the EPL.

I too was surprised. I too think the EPL is better, but the NFL is something to behold. You must consider its larger stadia and merchandising. The EPL is moving BIG into china, and this is where the big teams like MAN U and Chelsea are extracting money from ATM, arranging pre season tours, merchandising, etc. But this market is yet to grow further, and will not come near NFL incomes collectively for a long time.

Can't you guys just admire something without getting insecure and trying to beat it up....even if you learn from it, doesn't mean you have to emulate it.

Maybe 2009 isn't fully done with yet....remains to be seen how many games dont sell out, but its a bit rich to talk about this in an economic crisis. And 72 hours is 3 days. Thats a pretty early cutoff to sell each and every one of the 65k-80k seats.

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
The NFL granted extensions to the "blackout rule" in multiple cases last season. I have no doubt they will do the same in many cases this season.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Rugby highlights: one of the most bitter and cynical and utterly atrocious posts ever. they like nfl, ok, suck a lemon. some people like rugby union....i cringe, but each to his own.

Bitter, how so? Cynical, sure. At the end of the day everything I've said is a reality. If you want to attempt to dispute it and embarass yourself, that's your choice entirely.

$$Poor Boy Blues$$ said:
You are wrong about the EPL too. Time did another story a couple of years back. The NFL is the richest league by far. The EPL, even with international rights is still either second or third. You see, my good friend, the tv rights domestically and internationally only make up half the picture....one must also look at game day income and sponsors. In this area, the NFL are miles ahead. It dwarfs the EPL.

Yawn. Have I ever tried to argue you against this? The point is the NFL is only a success domestically.

If England was the size of America and soccer was a pretend-sport used by advertisers to market their product then the EPL would obviously make more money.

As it happens because of the format of football(soccer) and EVERY other real sport in the WORLD, nobody can come close to making the money of the NFL.

But it's not for a lack of popularity or business acumen, it's simply because no other nation has such a blatantly sh*t excuse for a sport that offers up more than 50% of its game time to commercials.

The fact the EPL is practically watched globally, and the NFL is not, speaks volumes. Even with all that money they can't popularise the game sport outside of their own back yard. Because no other nation of people will accept the garbage. Only Americans will accept the blatant money-generating techniques employed by the NFL. You f**king try doing that in the Super League and NRL, tell me how many f**king fans you lose in the space of a few games. Any other sport would die if it were to copy the NFLs money making techniques.

$$Poor Boy Blues$$ said:
I too was surprised. I too think the EPL is better, but the NFL is something to behold. You must consider its larger stadia and merchandising. The EPL is moving BIG into china, and this is where the big teams like MAN U and Chelsea are extracting money from ATM, arranging pre season tours, merchandising, etc. But this market is yet to grow further, and will not come near NFL incomes collectively for a long time.

It's nothing to behold. What's to be hold about it? The fact the NFL use their sport as a marketing vechile is not impress. The only thing impressive is the American attraction to garbage.

Once again I will say this, the fact with all of NFLs money it cannot make any real progress internationally highlights absolutely that there's nothing special in how they marketed and popularised the game. What's special is just how f**king stupid Americans are.

$$Poor Boy Blues$$ said:
Can't you guys just admire something without getting insecure and trying to beat it up....even if you learn from it, doesn't mean you have to emulate it.

But why would I admire it? As I said it's nothing special. The NFL shouldn't be admired. The American educational system and culture should be laughed at and rightly f**king criticised in my opinion. Which is what I'll do.

I know I've said it already. But the NFL can't even popularise there sport in Mexico. What's to respect or admire? Richest sporting league in the world and they're unable to make any substantial international progress. It's laughable how obviously little these people know.:lol:

I'll say it just one last time. The fact the NFL cannot popularise itself anywhere else is absolute testament to the fact these people have a sh*t product and are clearly not marketing geniuses. They just profit and popularise themselfs on the back of American stupidity.

Latest posts