What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why isnt Benji running with the ball?

mkenn

Juniors
I cannot remember him running less than what he has this year. Is it injury, confidence or the coach?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he has been told to focus on being a ball player. He even had a few sessions on ball playing with Lockyer in pre season.

And with no 7, Sheens is essentially forcing benji to be a 7.

And as we've seen before, when benji has 7 on his back, he stops being benji and just becomes John Morris the halfback.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I just find it incredible that the club allows Sheens to ruin the teams best attacking player in trying to make him a halfback (once again). This experiment has been tried before and failed, much to the detriment of WT on field performance at the time.

If Anasta has been recruited to be 5/8 that only means we know where that damn stubborn, pig headed coach is going to play Marshall next year. Why doesnt the board do something? Marshall is not a halfback, he is not a ball distributor, nor is he a good first receiver. He is a very good attacking 5/8 when allowed to roam and inject himself into the attack when opportunity presents.

I love my team but I've grown to loathe Sheens. I'll always fondly rememer the 2005 premiership but that was way too long ago to accept the other things this clown continues to do with the team. It must be disheartening to the players to be subject to such unfathomable actions.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of Sheens brilliance over past years

Benji at halfback
Lawrence at five-eighth
Farah at halfback
Morris at halfback
Ayshford at five-eighth
Fulton at hooker
Mckinnon, McDonnell and Moltzen at Fullback
to name the most notable.

Since Prince left he's never bothered to put a genuine 7 in the halfback role. When he had genuinely good 7's, he's not played them, Josh Lewis and Matt Head most notably, Lewis moreso because he had an awesome kicking game.

Since Hodgson left he never had a proper fullback either. Tedesco looks set to fill that role.

The last 2 seasons has seen Sheens recruitment revolve around finding a big International star to put in the team, but not really knowing where to put them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gee it would have been good if we had've held onto the cash we splurged on Blair, and used it to make a bid for a quality 7, some of whom were off contract this year.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Just remember guys - these days most 7s are more ball playing 6s anyway.

AND we may have one a premiership with two 6s in the halves.....

I think the concept has merit so long as both have the nuts to make calls.

Increasingly, in the way that centers became more like back rowers about 8 years ago, spine players are all playing a little more like 5/8s. This also explains repetitive calls for Hayne to play in the halves. The skills are largely the same.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes and no.

7's are still more likely to control a team across the park and have good kicking games.

Prince had most of that when he was in form.

We haven't had a 7 since him that could do that, or wasn't given an opportunity to show that they could.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Some of Sheens brilliance over past years

Benji at halfback
Lawrence at five-eighth
Farah at halfback
Morris at halfback
Ayshford at five-eighth
Fulton at hooker
Mckinnon, McDonnell and Moltzen at Fullback
to name the most notable.
Don't forget Moodie given a run in 2007.
Fitzhenry being re-signed post ESL.

Hard to beat Morris at halfback for three straight f**king years but persisting with McDonnell at fullback comes pretty damn close. f**k me that guy was dreadful.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Just remember guys - these days most 7s are more ball playing 6s anyway.

AND we may have one a premiership with two 6s in the halves.....

I think the concept has merit so long as both have the nuts to make calls.

Increasingly, in the way that centers became more like back rowers about 8 years ago, spine players are all playing a little more like 5/8s. This also explains repetitive calls for Hayne to play in the halves. The skills are largely the same.

I agree, which is why the Anasta move makes sense.

But for the rest of the season, we need someone with a bit of quality to play in the halves with Benji.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
Why dont u guys play Anasta at 7 next year? Guys been round a long time and would be quite capable of steering a team around the park- benji can stay a bit wider and do his thing.
He would be the biggest halfback round but that seems like a positive rather than a negative to me- wouldn't be many better defensive 7s round- he's solid there.
Just an idea

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anasta at 7 makes perfect sense for us next year. All he needs to do is kick well in play, which he can. has a good long kick too.

I bet Sheens plays him at 6 and benji at 7 and f**ks the whole thing right up

innsaneink

Referee
Hes probably bored shitless, been listening to Sheens almost every f**kin day for the last 10 years

Imagine that!!