What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not bye bye Wags?

](*,)

I am a habitual, and I hope he proves me wrong,but, can anyone tell me what he did yesterday, that would make him a certainty for the next game?

After watching the replay, I cannot see why he should be an automatic choice over the efforts made by some of those other guys.

Its time to move on IMO.

What do you guys think?

Pazza

First Grade
Ben Smith has one good game and now you guys are talking about getting rid of Wagon/Tahu.

I got nothing against the kid but Tahu and Wagon are the best centres at the club.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Defense

along with Petersen, Wagon shut down the Cowboys early when Thurston was making breaks at will.

Berta

Juniors
hard to change a winning team too much NSE and although wags form is down this year he has been a great player for us and very loyal.
Also as a senior player it is hard to guage the positive effect he has on the younger guys, they look up to him and his prescence may well be very settling for them
Another point is that a a squad with continuity is always a plus we are in the 8 now and starting to get our game together, Wags is part of that squad and IMO for now leave him there.

This hasnt just started, some people have agreed with me for ages.

Sometimes it is hard to give up something you believe is valuable, for a possible unknown, but, I think its time some of these other guys were given a go.

My first impression with some of his descisions yesterday, was that he ran up out of the line too fast, and Peterson HAD to commit. If it were not for him, I reckon the cowboys could have scored at least 2 more tries.

At centre, he has to be seen as a stop gap at best.

Im not saying Smith should get a walk up start, but, fairs fair, Wagon was overshadowed again yesterday, IMO.

Clarkieel

Juniors
Wagon definately stays!! his defence every week prooves his value to the team!! Smith has only had ONE good game just ONE

Im really over using defense as his defense. He is being played at centre - he is not a centre - he does not pass (often).

If you want him there for his defense - put him back in the pack (which i do not believe there is a position for him). Its harsh reality, we are limiting ourselves in attack.

We were lucky, with three tries scored off kicks, to open the game up yesterday.

After that, we just had momentum. Even if Gould thought the Cowboys were still in it. (He must have watched a few of the games I have seen Parra choke at)

Dont get me wrong, I am as proud as the next Eel, but, sometimes reality hurts.

Parraren

Bench
Wagon is a stop gap solution for us at centre until someone seriously steps up and shows they are good enough to hold the position. Ash Graham had a go, but his attempt quickly fell into a heap after a somewhat promising start. Now enter Ben Smith. He too has had a promising start so let's not get too carried away and just see if he can back it up...

Either way, if Benny proves he's got what it takes to wear the number 3 or 4, Wagon is still an automatic selection at lock. I can't see a problem with that either because IMO he's been playing consistently well for us this year whether it be at lock or centre.

fridge

wagon is a senior player who consistently plays great defence. lately he has been willing to take the line on a bit more.

imo some ppl here have been exaggerating about his lack of passing. he has definitely improved that part of his game, and he's been willing to pass when there's been numbers. i'd rather a centre be willing to hold the ball and run at the line, then pass to a marked winger who will probably be pushed into touch.

the key word here is consistency, that's what our team needs. we have the talent to win the comp but we need consistency. and that's what players like wagon, hindy, morrison bring to our team.

Clarkieel

Juniors
of course I will defend wags as usual cause IMO he deserves to be out there! yes he is better at lock than centre!! but he is also one of only a few players that can pop into any position during a game!!
I also thought he was starting to form some good combos with guru!!

Macca_

Coach
the key word here is consistency, that's what our team needs. we have the talent to win the comp but we need consistency. and that's what players like wagon, hindy, morrison bring to our team.

Go the fridge! Spot on mate.

Leave Wags in the team. Although I'd to see him at lock, there has been nothing wrong with his game so far this season. Starting to pass the ball more too, strong in defence, and a strong runner of the ball.

On the end of a good backline, with the forwards doing the job, I believe he can be a good weapon in attack not just defence.

Macca_

Hellsy

Immortal
Wags is experience and defence.

Even though he comes off his line sometimes which creates gaps, someone on the inside of him does the same thing forcing him to move up.

Leave him in the 13

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Wags is only a temporary centre, its not his best position.

I would give Ben Smith a few more games at centre to see if he is the answer, and put Wags back to lock, which is where he playes his best footy.

Ben Smith was good, but we shouldn't get too carried aways after just one game.

I would not leave Wags out of the team, neither will father in law.

Bazal

Post Whore
In all seriousness, why drop him? I agree he's not a centre but he hasn't been that bad. Why not pick this backline...

1-McKinnon
2-Burt
3-Tahu
4-Smith
5-Grothe

13-Wagon??

I mean, I don't think it will happen, but no way does Wags deserve to be dropped, and Benny Smith is a left centre, Wags is playing on the right side....Wagon is one of the best defenders in the game, he took some time to adjust at centre but he's been great since then, has made some very good runs, inspiring defensive plays, and even threw a cut out pass for Burt to score. So in reply to your question, what has he done to deserve being dropped?

bartman

Immortal
Wags utility value would make him a good option for the bench, if they decided to give someone like Ben Smith or Luke O'Dwyer a longer go in the side.

But with Tahu carrying injury and Hindy on Origin duty, there's room in the side. As long as it's an open door and players can keep rotating, then none of the guys that did the job against the Cowboys should feel bad at making way for one of the four rep-level players.

I can see wagon staying somewhere in the team this year but it will be hard for Brian Smith to justify Wagons spot next year with all this great talent we have coming through.

Ben Farrar is really looking the goods in the Flegg comp.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think Wagon saved quite a few tries through his cover and one-on-one defence.

Plus he made a few breaks, and offloaded a few times.

He's coming good.

Give him time.

Latest posts