What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not Travis Burns?

cureme

Juniors
I have been reading with interest everyone's preferred new signings but have not spotted Travis Burns' name. We all know there are slim picking as far as 5/8's on the open market go, but I think this kid has loads of potential. Sure Scott Hill might be a better, more experienced player, but Travis would be one for the future. ;-)

wittyz chick

Coach
I brought this up before ... Blake as first choice 5/8 and Michael Witt or Travis Burns signed as back up ... I'd go with Witty though [even though I know most here hate him]

Phillips

Referee
i dont hate Witt, but theres no way we should sign him again

we want to move forwards not backwards

dazeely

First Grade
Phillips said:
i dont hate Witt, but theres no way we should sign him again

we want to move forwards not backwards

my thoughts exactly. witt was woeful on the weekend.

Why not Jason SMith?

He can play at 5/8th, lock or even off the bench and would come relatively cheap considering it seems no one is really after him (Souths won't offer if they get Asotasi)

cureme

Juniors
Seymour is useless...
Witty is even more useless....
Smith is only good for a year....
Hill is only good for probably two....
As for Blake Green, I must admit to not having seen him play, but I have read the wraps everyone has on him. Isn't he more of a halfback though?

oneguy

Juniors
From what I've seen of Travis Burn, he'd be ideal. A slightly built player, but tons of pace, and gutsy defender. I can see him working well with Timmy. The only reason Manly are looking to lose him is for Jamie, otherwise they'd gladly hang on to him.

Blake Green? Yeh another good option, ideally we'd need two 5/8 options.

Michael Witt? He's rated behind Travis Burn, enough said.

Jason Smith? Firstly I don't think he'd be THAT cheap, and secondly I'm sure a few clubs would be interested. He still adds value to a backline, and provides the cool head, and sense of direction that is often needed. Be OK, but I'd prefer someelse else. My concern with Scott Hill is it's not a long term solution. More so for Jason Smith.

Michael Speechly? Here's a classic example - came over to the Eels from the Sharks in his twilight years and couldn't re-kindle the old form.

Given the lack of options - Travis Burns would be my pick.

Stagger eel

Staff member
why not both?? Hill to play lock and Burns at five-eight..

Tim can better player with either one in the side however he can be an abolute genius with both of them there, make a play for both I say.

James_Hardie

Juniors
oneguy said:
From what I've seen of Travis Burn, he'd be ideal. A slightly built player, but tons of pace, and gutsy defender. I can see him working well with Timmy. The only reason Manly are looking to lose him is for Jamie, otherwise they'd gladly hang on to him.

Blake Green? Yeh another good option, ideally we'd need two 5/8 options.

Given the lack of options - Travis Burns would be my pick.

I agree, he is a hard runner to which is a positive. Is he any better than Morris? Probably not, but the fact that he has develope through the Manly system couldn't be easy, so there is probably tonnes more potential there to be tapped into.

Unless Hagan is thinking about being a player coach, he seems about the only genuine option left (especially if the reports are correct that Hill is looking to the ESL).

Hellsy

Immortal
Scott Hill as is good as gone to England, I know he hasn't signed but he has pretty much decided he wants to go over there

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
Jason Smith has already been signed by the bunnies

was that announced this morning? because I heard that the Roosters were looking at him yesterday.

Latest posts