What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY only 1 trial????"

possm

Coach
In our coaches eyes? He needs to do his time. He needs to be patient. He needs to wait until Mary gives him the nod.
Obviously thats all bullshit and any other coach would see that he has enormous potential and is worth taking a punt on but not Mary, he doesn't gamble, he doesn't punt on anything ever (in his mind).
Most conservative backward thinking coach in NRL.
Mary gambles every time he selects Aitken at right centre.

Crush

Coach
Mary gambles every time he selects Aitken at right centre.
On Mary, I heard today from a 100% solid source that he was dead set on signing Hayne and absolutely insisted on it to recruitment and board.
He was warned it was a risky signing but pleaded with them and said we needed Hayne if we were to win a comp.
Well obviously Hayne isn't coming now but it sounds like Mary isn't satisfied with his backline?
Interesting.

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that the maestro has left it a bit late to sign anyone else with real ability , they have all gone to other clubs . Perhaps he could convince Holmes that Bruce Gordon will be starting an NFL team next year and he only needs to play in the red V this season to be eligible for it ?

Old Timer

Coach
We have only 1 trial for fear of someone from outside the coach’s inner sanctum shining and demanding selection
When you run 20 plus players out for 1 trial then you have the ability to stick with the status quo.

ViceVersa

Juniors
Newcastle Herald:

"The Knights and Dragons will square off in a pre-season hit-out at Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval on Saturday, February 23, three weeks prior to the NRL kicking off in March.

While there has been no official confirmation from either club, the Newcastle Herald understands the two sides will meet in three grades, NRL, NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg Under 20’s, at Kogarah."

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...o-face-test-in-knights-trial-against-dragons/

slippery5

Juniors
Unless two wingers are going fantastically well, we are stronger with Lomax on the wing where he will have opportunities to move around at the right times.

I still don’t think he’d play a full season a right centre at 19 and be consistent as he would like to be. It’d be a rollercoaster. He’s still not prudent with his offloads, for one, but more importantly physically it’s a lot to ask.

I can’t think of a centre in recent times who played well for a full season at 19.
Probably because their has not been any good enough, until now.
You must have been watching 2 other centres through out the year to think we are stronger with Lomax on the Wing. LOL

RufusRex

Post Whore
Of course we are stronger with Lomax at centre - you only need to compare our right edge in the games he played centre to the games he didnt to see that.

Aitken was given a full season at centre - well 80 odd games there and he is obviously a step below Lomax.

coastiedragon

Juniors
Still think all trials should be played out of sydney play them out west and north coast
Huge number of people who just love rugby league and dont get to see much nrl

possm

Coach
I don't think SGI need to play any trials.
There are no spots ups for grabs. The team is set. It wouldn't matter if a young kid, say Lomax, excelled in the trials because he'd never get a run over Lafai or Aitken anyway.
The team is set.

Lomax and Pearson are set to start in 2019. I think Lafai and Widdop will also be our left centre and fullback respectively. The right wing will be a toss up.

Apparently, Aitken has been training all off-season in the forwards with Lomax training at right centre.

possm

Coach
On Mary, I heard today from a 100% solid source that he was dead set on signing Hayne and absolutely insisted on it to recruitment and board.
He was warned it was a risky signing but pleaded with them and said we needed Hayne if we were to win a comp.
Well obviously Hayne isn't coming now but it sounds like Mary isn't satisfied with his backline?
Interesting.

Well now he has Widdop at fullback, Lomax and Lafai in the centres, Pearson on the left wing and Norman at five-eighth. I'd say we will be more than happy with that backline line-up.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Well now he has Widdop at fullback, Lomax and Lafai in the centres, Pearson on the left wing and Norman at five-eighth. I'd day we will be more than hapy with that backline line-up.
Where did you get that info mate?
I highly doubt that will be how we line up round 1.

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors
Just watched the Knights web series. Pretty good and professional. Every club should be doing something like that.

Latest posts