What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Parramatta

bazza

Immortal
Grew up in Merrylands with a Parra supporting family - so after flirting with a few other teams at a young age, got stuck on Parra

PARRA_FAN

Coach
My whole family supports Parramatta.

There's a photo of me watching the 86 GF on TV in a Parra jersey but I was only 1 year old.

When I watched the game didnt really follow anyone but I liked the Raiders.

Started really following Parra in the early 90s, never stopped following them since.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
i remember threatening the early 90's Parra team that i would change and support the Broncos or the Raiders if they didn't start winning...

also vaguely remember Dad smacking me :lol:

Springs

First Grade
I went for Souths when I was very young but when they were kicked out I thought they were gone for good. Parramatta was the last team Souths played in '99 and I valued defence highly and the Eels had the best defence in the league. I followed the Eels through the finals and when they were beaten by the Storm I decided to follow them for good.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Unfortunately I dont have it on me, but I'll go through some family photos.

I remember it was shown to me last year on GF day, and the other GF in 2001.

natheel

Coach
Born and raised in greystanes played junior footy in the area and my bro and I r the only 2 in our whole rabbitohs supported family that follow the eels

now living next door to the morris' in kiama

Last edited:

Snoochies

First Grade
In the blood. Was born in Blacktown hospital but lived in Brissy for 30 of my 31 years in this life.

My Dad and Brett Kenny's Dad played Baseball at Blacktown workers and Brett also was a Baseballer before football, so the family know the Kenny's quite well, so with the family being from the area and having a direct link to the Eels it was only natural that I too would follow the Eels.

tresurehunt

Juniors
In the blood. Was born in Blacktown hospital but lived in Brissy for 30 of my 31 years in this life.

My Dad and Brett Kenny's Dad played Baseball at Blacktown workers and Brett also was a Baseballer before football, so the family know the Kenny's quite well, so with the family being from the area and having a direct link to the Eels it was only natural that I too would follow the Eels.
i can vouch for that allan was a great player ,brett was pretty good too,and his brother troy is a really good horse rider . :)

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Both my mum and dads families support parra, so i didn't have a choice, when i was born my Grandpa gave me a parra jersey and parra shorts, still have it framed on my wall! :D

SDM

First Grade
I grew up halfway between Balmain and Parra, and my dad hated Benny Elias, so it was an easy choice.
Then Wests megred with Balmain, sucked in Dad, when he grew up in the same area, it was just as close to Lidcombe Oval, so he was a Maggies fan.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
My godfather (George Cook) scored the first ever try for Parramatta. Watched a few games in 58/59 but really got into it with a group of mates (who are still close mates) in 1960 when Jack Argent signed Ron Boden as coach, and Paul Pyers.
In 61 the Club added Ron Lynch and Brian Hambly before adding Bob Bugden, Leo Toohey, Noel Dolton and the greatest of them all The Mayor, Ken Thornett, in 1962.
We never missed a game. This is my fiftieth year as a supporter. Loved EVERY minute of it, but the sixties era was my favourite. I can remember games and incidents in matches from that time like they were happening yesterday. My mates are still as strong about the Eels as I am, and when we catch up, it is ALWAYS the subject of our conversation. To say we were FANATICAL would be a gross understatement. To us following the Parra side was a way of life. We used to go to Cumberland Oval to watch training sessions!!!!!. It is very much a part of my life development, and it is something I am very proud to have been part of.
I went to Parra Marist, just up the road from Cumberland, with blokes like Gabe Very (same class) and Fitzy (a couple of years below me) who went on to become Parramatta stars.

Nice analysis