What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Good signing by the Dragons, really liking the look of Widdop and it'll be interesting to see how he goes without the big three.

Hoping Rangi Chase comes home, he'd be pretty good for the Saints and i'd also like to see how he goes in our comp.

jenninga

First Grade
The money being paid to Widdop is a big gamble given that his best footy which isn't that great, had been played with the best three footballers in the world. He looks great in the comfort on the storm proven and honed structure, but what will he be like without the storm effect, I could be wrong but it's a huge gamble.
Absolute Bullsh*t.Widdop steps up at Origin time when the team is decimated,he has proven he can playwithout the Storms stars,he is a top player in his own right.

Big man

Juniors
Absolute Bullsh*t.Widdop steps up at Origin time when the team is decimated,he has proven he can playwithout the Storms stars,he is a top player in his own right.

Mate I'm not doubting his credentials, he is a sold NRL player but, is he a $525k player, you are starting to head into marque signing status with this sort of money. Don't get me wrong this kid away from Storm coud take the challenge and end up another Thurton type player, he has smarts, can run, can pass, kick and tackle, it will be interesting to see him away from the Melbourne umbilical cord. Mate god luck!

cussy

Juniors
f**k how did I forget the rabbits!!! I don't think we paid overs for anyone. We paid what we needed to pay for them to make the move.

flamin

Juniors
Mate I'm not doubting his credentials, he is a sold NRL player but, is he a $525k player, you are starting to head into marque signing status with this sort of money. Don't get me wrong this kid away from Storm coud take the challenge and end up another Thurton type player, he has smarts, can run, can pass, kick and tackle, it will be interesting to see him away from the Melbourne umbilical cord. Mate god luck!
There is risk, no doubt, as there is with all signings, but think this will be a great move for Widdop and for our club.

rainman44

Bench
Widdop is a very good buy when players like reynolds getting $500 plus from the dogs and carney being offered $900 thousand from the warriors.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The money is about right. Thanks to the cap increase and the TV rights deal money now filtering through, the asking price for a player of any calibre has jumped up an extra 150-200K. We'll be seeing a lot more players signing for $500K+.

The Enforcer

Juniors
The money is about right. Thanks to the cap increase and the TV rights deal money now filtering through, the asking price for a player of any calibre has jumped up an extra 150-200K. We'll be seeing a lot more players signing for $500K+.
At the risk of going off topic, it was thought that the salary cap increase would help the players on the smaller $ contracts survive which the players association bargained for, however in many cases it just seems to have raised the $ on the top end players.

Elias1983

Coach
At the risk of going off topic, it was thought that the salary cap increase would help the players on the smaller $ contracts survive which the players association bargained for, however in many cases it just seems to have raised the $ on the top end players.

I think this depends entirely on the club and how they decide to use the extra $$$.

I knwo the minimum wage was raised from $50k to $85k for the lower players...

Mr Red

First Grade
$525k is in the right ballpark for an international player the calibre of Widdop.
even better value when you consider we paid nearly $440k a season for Thompson and he couldnt even make the country origin team this year......

Elias1983

Coach
Just On widdop he explains in article on the NRL.COM website that he's not only here for the $$$ but he wants to take on a more leadership role and get more involved.

I think this is a great attitude because it shows he wants to challenge himself away from the big 3. It will be interesting to see how he handles the extra responsibility....

Mr Red

First Grade
Just On widdop he explains in article on the NRL.COM website that he's not only here for the $$$ but he wants to take on a more leadership role and get more involved.

I think this is a great attitude because it shows he wants to challenge himself away from the big 3. It will be interesting to see how he handles the extra responsibility....

yeah good attitude for sure.
maybe give us some of the storm secrets to implement next season as well..
hopefully he photocopies their playbook before he leave ;)

hardbaby

Coach
Awesome news. I just came back from 4 days fishing. Haven't read any news although it sounds like my mate who got hit by the croc is all over the papers. That was my photo that was used to show the bite mark. Dumb prick. We saw it there at 4 in the afternoon and he decides to swim back to his boat 3 hours later. Anyway, my biggest GT, Queenfish and Mangrove Jack. Now the biggest signing for the Dragons. Great start to the week. Come on boys.

jenninga

First Grade
Awesome news. I just came back from 4 days fishing. Haven't read any news although it sounds like my mate who got hit by the croc is all over the papers. That was my photo that was used to show the bite mark. Dumb prick. We saw it there at 4 in the afternoon and he decides to swim back to his boat 3 hours later. Anyway, my biggest GT, Queenfish and Mangrove Jack. Now the biggest signing for the Dragons. Great start to the week. Come on boys.
What was he thinking,I don't go to the North because i don't want to see a croc,and he swims in the place you spot one.WOW.

hardbaby

Coach
What was he thinking,I don't go to the North because i don't want to see a croc,and he swims in the place you spot one.WOW.

There is a hero mentality in the NT. I can't really talk. I fish out of a 3.7 metre punt called "Croc Bait". But at least I am cautious. A lot of the other blokes just don't care. If your time's up, it's up. Or so the thought process goes. Personally I want to live to see another Dragon's premiership.

Latest posts