What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop in Dragons' sights and SIGNED!

Mr Red

First Grade
I agree with you he is a great support player. I think the real important factor is who will play in the 7 which will determine if Widdop will be successful in the 6.

this !

Widdop will turn out to be an excellent signing dependant on the halfback.

Widdop is a natural ball runner, pair him with a stong kicker/organising half (like Cooper Cronk) and allow him to play his natural game and he will be successful.

pair him with someone like Kyle Stanley at half and he will be a massive failure.

I think paired with Rangi Chase is something we can work with...
i am hoping this means Price has had a change of heart about Kyle Stanley at half back, because if he still has hopes for Stanley then Widdop will be wasted...

BigRedV

Juniors
Loving this! Have no doubt that he's going to want to prove that it wasn't all the big 3 and that he can actually play as well.

I'd prefer him at 5/8th due to his solid defence and good footwork.
If he's going to be fullback, your halves better be gun, otherwise its pointless. When he was fullback around SOO last year, the team started a form slump with Cronk and an inexperienced 5/8th.

drake

First Grade
I got excited when I read the rumours, and when my mate told me we'd signed him I let out a "woo!" at work.

Simon Woo asked me what I want.

bottle

Coach
I'd prefer him at 5/8th due to his solid defence and good footwork.
If he's going to be fullback, your halves better be gun, otherwise its pointless. When he was fullback around SOO last year, the team started a form slump with Cronk and an inexperienced 5/8th.
Some of your fellow Storm supporters are saying the exact opposite, better fullback than 5/8.Please don't confuse me further.
On a serious note, I guess one of the positives for us is having that versatility.

W.Smith

Juniors
And it was announced on FRIDAY.
Does anybody else feel a sense of excitement not felt for a while,a couple more key signings and we are in business.Coach included.

i do, fistpumped and rang my daughter when i saw it on FSN when i got home from work today, mentioned it in my previous post, as much as i liked seeing Thompson signed this signing is evn more xciting and now really interested to see if they sign Rangi Chase

have Widdop/Rangi paired for England at 6/7

Style will be centre i guess and interesting now to see if STGI let Cooper go to open the way for Kyle to slot straight back in with possibly Thompson his centre partner

if Rangi does get signed - the transfer fee to get him outta Pomgolia dont count in the salary cap, just hope they dont try to put overs on Rangi's Transfer Fee for STGI as it may scare Dousty off

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
- Widdop is the first genuine Marquee signing in a long time, and as a playmaker, it will help us attract other talent to the club. Definitely a fist pumping moment.

- Widdop may be a better fullback in some Storm supporters eyes, but we need him as a 6 or 7 plain and simple.. he will need to step up out of Cronks shadow and be his own man now.

Evenflow

Bench
Good signing for the Dragons and while i'd have liked him to stay i'm not shattered he's leaving all the same. You can't keep them all and for that kind of money you cant blame him and given he has a young family he did the right thing in that respect.

We have one or two exciting prospects for next season to slot in so i don't think the loss will be felt that greatly on our end. While he's no doubt talented, as others have said it will be interesting to see how he goes being the dominant player (or one of) without the likes of the big 3 around him should he stay in the halves.

W.Smith

Juniors
- Widdop is the first genuine Marquee signing in a long time, and as a playmaker, it will help us attract other talent to the club. Definitely a fist pumping moment.

- Widdop may be a better fullback in some Storm supporters eyes, but we need him as a 6 or 7 plain and simple.. he will need to step up out of Cronks shadow and be his own man now.

What Rev sed !!:cool:

tumbidragon

First Grade
This is the type of news ya come home to and crack an early beer, down six in quick succession with a slight smug look on ones face, just in time for the ANZAC test. :) Unfortunately gastro is a literal pain in the arse and is making life :cool: a little shitty atm :(

possm

Coach
Chase and Widdop will make a great pair of halves. They won't be called up to play SOO and the world cup is being played in the off season this time.

I feel that these two players will be the poms combo so that means by the time they pair up next year, they will already have formed a combination with each other.

Last edited:

ghostface

Juniors
Good signing for the Dragons and while i'd have liked him to stay i'm not shattered he's leaving all the same. You can't keep them all and for that kind of money you cant blame him and given he has a young family he did the right thing in that respect.

We have one or two exciting prospects for next season to slot in so i don't think the loss will be felt that greatly on our end. While he's no doubt talented, as others have said it will be interesting to see how he goes being the dominant player (or one of) without the likes of the big 3 around him should he stay in the halves.

I can understand why you're not too disappointed. Kurt Mann is an outstanding talent and in some ways is fairly similar to Widdop as he started out with the knights as a fullback and then worked his way into the halves. Looks like they might start blooding him.

Still Widdop is a good signing for the dragons and i think he will relish the opportunity to be one of the big dawgs.

TheRev

Coach
So people are happy about this or are we still going to Oust Doust?
Still very cranky at letting our recruitment collapse over the past 3 years, but luckily our poor form helped to get a rocket up Doust and co, they have been working overtime to fix us up for 2014.

saint.nick

Coach
Chase and Widdop could work for us. They offer two quite different styles that can in effect compliment each other and give the team more variety. I see Chase as that flashy player in the mould of Benji, whereas Widdop's role could be one defined by giving the team field position and direction. From what i've seen though, they're both great playmakers with their own style.

Additionally, you can't really say Widdop's been made to look good as a half because of the big 3. Essentially, the halves are meant to make the team look good with their play making, and Widdop's role is to be a benefactor, not a beneficiary like a winger or centre, who rely on good service from their halves. This notion of players looking good because of the big 3 would make a lot more sense if we're talking about one of their forwards, because let's not forget, Widdop scored a great individual try against Souths to put the game to bed.

Big man

Juniors
The money being paid to Widdop is a big gamble given that his best footy which isn't that great, had been played with the best three footballers in the world. He looks great in the comfort on the storm proven and honed structure, but what will he be like without the storm effect, I could be wrong but it's a huge gamble.

Evenflow

Bench
ghostface said:
I can understand why you're not too disappointed. Kurt Mann is an outstanding talent and in some ways is fairly similar to Widdop as he started out with the knights as a fullback and then worked his way into the halves. Looks like they might start blooding him.

Still Widdop is a good signing for the dragons and i think he will relish the opportunity to be one of the big dawgs.

Exactly. Plus there's Matt McGahan who's a real prospect and will make a big impact in first grade as well as Ben Hampton who also has a heap of talent so there's plenty of options and the reason why i'm not overly fussed.

Like i said i think Widdop is a good signing for the Dragons and one they really needed. He's a much bigger gain for your team than what he is a loss for us.

Latest posts