What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

giboz71

First Grade
Yet another player who’s sick of McGregor: Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan and now Widdop.

What an unmitigated disaster he’s been for the club.

Ironically, Widdop will now play under Steve Price next season.

Or, you can look at it another way given Mary is off contract at the end of 2019 and may not be back.

Perhaps Widdop doesn't want to play for anyone else except Mary?

For the record, I don't think Widdop wanting to depart the club has anything to do with who may or may not be coaching in 2020.

I don't ever say this.. but I kinda agree with Crush. It doesn't speak well of a club's culture when the captain walks out mid-contract. Being captain of this club is more than just a (c) next to your name, saying a few words in the huddle, and a bit of extra media work. It's even more than an honour or privilege. It is membership of a pantheon. It extends back from Ben Hornby to Provan to Kearney to Herb Gilbert. The only way Widdop is redeemed in my eyes is if his shoulder is screwed and he knows he won't give the club value. Time will tell.
Totally agree
Widdop was given the captaincy because he asked for it.
These issues should be decided by the coach and the criteria should revolve around leadership qualities, temperament and game management.
Widdop fails on all three.

He is not a natural leader
Temperament is docile - can't fire up and inspire his team mates.
Drops his bundle in really tight games - clutch moments give him hives.
So the greatest Australian rugby league club in history ends up with an unqualified Englishman as our club captain.
Why?
And before I get howled down for that comment, his widely publicised and imminent departure back to the old dart, says everything.
No question of his talent but success under his leadership has been scant.
One year to go.
Give the armband to someone who bleeds red and white.
Play him at FB where he doesn't have to deal with game management.
Either that or let him go early.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Well, we all saw that coming so no surprises there.

The way l see it, the club should use him in the best capacity that suits the club, not the player.
Whether that be in the halves or fullback or stopgap centres or alike.

Don't let him go, make him play in a position that's best for the team for 2019.

Move along please, nothing else to see.

9z8v7hg6m9yy.gif

I'd cut him loose now before the season starts.

Along with the JDB saga, his imminent departure is likely to prove a disruption for the side.

Give Dufty half the season to improve or if he doesn't, we need to sign a fullback.

Crush

Coach
Say what you want about guys like Paul Gallen but one thing is for sure, he wouldn't ask for an early release from a contract as the captain of the Sharks.

I don't blame Widdop for being captain of the club, I blame McGregor for making him captain against the boards recommendations.
I do however blame Widdop for signing a long term deal that he is now not fulfilling. He's the captain FFS! The club gave him the captaincy, at least he could repay them by seeing out his contract.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Surprise Surprise we did not see that coming after the debacle of the internal leak a couple of months back. I suppose what we will never know was his manager (on behalf of his client) hoping for an immediate release for this year...only to be kyboshed by the club. I have a gut feel he would of if allowed before the media circus, frenzy and cloak and dagger public press conferences.
Moving right along. What I dont get.
Widdop will be turning 33 if he comes back to the NRL after his ESL stint before the season kicks off in 2022. Why would St George in its narrow mindness put a condition on him that he comes back to our club only if returning to the NRL. Will we need him that much?...

Cant we just move on and focus on getting the best team possible each year and let him go to the best offer available or suitable club roster when and if he returns. He will be getting too old to be an impact in the backs so why apply those chains. Even if he quits and gets Aussie homesick after 6 months and wants to come back again on COMPASSIONATE grounds from over there our rosters should be set and future planning without him.
Stupid childish foresight..but have become used to it.
When will our board and admin learn that most NRL players these days dont hold our St George / Illawarra brand or any club jersey in as high esteem and loyalty as they and serving passionate fans do.

Simple answer here is to stop him doing exactly what he doing now. If, for example, after 1 year in ESL, he gets "homesick" to return to Aust, realizing the ESL is not for him, this prevents him from going to another club, without our consent, whether we need him or not.

DragonJ

Juniors
The Creagh era was worse than either.
Good catch. Except for a premiership, minor premierships and final appearances most years.

Joke. Obviously you mean as captain. He was only captain for a season and a half, wasn't he? I would guess the win-loss ratio was very close to that of Widdop's tenure as captain. Let him go now! We have a 5/8 to take his position and Lomax to be the goal kicker.

Not sure about captain. I would have said Jack before he screwed his chance. Figuratively and literally. Frizz seems too mild mannered. Graham near the end of his career. Hunt too much of a confidence player. Co-captains Simms and Lafai?

DragonJ

Juniors

Along with the JDB saga, his imminent departure is likely to prove a disruption for the side.

Give Dufty half the season to improve or if he doesn't, we need to sign a fullback.
Hayne is as expected, he is found not guilty.

BLM01

First Grade
Simple answer here is to stop him doing exactly what he doing now. If, for example, after 1 year in ESL, he gets "homesick" to return to Aust, realizing the ESL is not for him, this prevents him from going to another club, without our consent, whether we need him or not.

I get what and why you said that as if the Dragons are making a bold statement but I believe the Dragons have placed that condition based on an emotional attachment...which they are huge on....not necessarily for the best interests of the club, coach and other players.

It certainly wont be a warning to others..break your contract with us and you'll pay the price.
You will never stop him doing what he is doing again anyway. Players and managers will always find a way to worm out of any contract, let alone a condition like that. He wont wait for their consent
Dont you think he will get out of that condition if he really wants to say - on more COMPASSIONATE grounds..
Oh my wife has a job in and my family moved to Melb. I need to go there after 6 months in the ESL.
If the Dragons tried to apply that condition they will be howled down by all media forms if found he wants to go somewhere else

If you let him go, what he does from 2020 should be his business and decision. If he stays 6 months then goes back to the Storm then he is just doing what is best for him.
My point is why bother with conditions once you set them free.

BLM01

First Grade
Good catch. Except for a premiership, minor premierships and final appearances most years.

Joke. Obviously you mean as captain. He was only captain for a season and a half, wasn't he? I would guess the win-loss ratio was very close to that of Widdop's tenure as captain. Let him go now! We have a 5/8 to take his position and Lomax to be the goal kicker.

Not sure about captain. I would have said Jack before he screwed his chance. Figuratively and literally. Frizz seems too mild mannered. Graham near the end of his career. Hunt too much of a confidence player. Co-captains Simms and Lafai?
Lafai...cough cough

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth is a 100% professional and will continue to give his absolute best for the joint venture. Barring injuries I believe that he will do his utmost to secure the Dragons our 1st premiership since 2010 and the boys will do likewise to ensure that he goes out a winner - the man deserves that and I wish him the very best when he returns to England :flag_black:.

getsmarty

Immortal
Say what you want about guys like Paul Gallen but one thing is for sure, he wouldn't ask for an early release from a contract as the captain of the Sharks.

I don't blame Widdop for being captain of the club, I blame McGregor for making him captain against the boards recommendations.
I do however blame Widdop for signing a long term deal that he is now not fulfilling. He's the captain FFS! The club gave him the captaincy, at least he could repay them by seeing out his contract.

With all due respect,( and I do respect your input Crush ) he has family reasons for moving. That should override anything else.
The Gallen example doesn't apply because he doesn't have relatives in England....At least Widdop let the club know so they could sign Norman.

P.S Most Sharks supporters would have wished that Gallen retired 2 years ago...who's self interest is he looking out for ?

possm

Coach

No disruption, Widdop will move to fullback for 2019 and either Dufty - if he sorts things out - or Holmes will be our fullback in 2020.

Crush

Coach
With all due respect,( and I do respect your input Crush ) he has family reasons for moving. That should override anything else.
The Gallen example doesn't apply because he doesn't have relatives in England....At least Widdop let the club know so they could sign Norman.

P.S Most Sharks supporters would have wished that Gallen retired 2 years ago...who's self interest is he looking out for ?
Hey mate,
What are the family reasons?
Below is most recent quote from Widdop-

“It certainly hasn’t been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now."

The articles don't mention anything about family.

If playing in the ESL has been one of his aspirations for a while now why did he sign a 4 year deal with Dragons?
And not honour 2 of those 4 years?

Sounds odd.