What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Blimey, we're in a thread comparing our captain and best player to a clown like Gallen. We'll get one more season out of him, he'll be our best player again, playing out of position to fit maybe-he'll-give-a-shit-maybe-he-won't Norman in at five eighth, while we run twelfth because our backline (other than Lomax who we'll also play out of position) is reserve grade standard and our second best forward faces serious and credible accusations of sexual assault.

And Ben Creagh? Captained teams under the coaching of Steve Price and Paul McGregor that included reserve grade hacks like Daniel Vidot, Chase Stanley, Josh Drinkwater and - lest we ever forget - marquee signings Bronson Harrison and one armed fat pouch Benji Marshall. Never complained, did his job. Hero of 2010, legend of St George.

TruSaint

Referee
Blimey, we're in a thread comparing our captain and best player to a clown like Gallen. We'll get one more season out of him, he'll be our best player again, playing out of position to fit maybe-he'll-give-a-shit-maybe-he-won't Norman in at five eighth, while we run twelfth because our backline (other than Lomax who we'll also play out of position) is reserve grade standard and our second best forward faces serious and credible accusations of sexual assault.

And Ben Creagh? Captained teams under the coaching of Steve Price and Paul McGregor that included reserve grade hacks like Daniel Vidot, Chase Stanley, Josh Drinkwater and - lest we ever forget - marquee signings Bronson Harrison and one armed fat pouch Benji Marshall. Never complained, did his job. Hero of 2010, legend of St George.

Nailed it..

Well said Dr.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

You make fair comment there Dr F but you see, its the off season and a long one at that.
The troops are restless and are baying for blood. We've just had one of our best players and captain, pull the pin on us so the boys & girls are spitting chips as we speak.

As you say, comparing him to Gallen is a bit norsty, as Tony Greig would say.

Soon, the season will start and we'll all be pulling as one, making some wonderful comments above our marvellous coach.

History has a way of repeating itself.

TruSaint

Referee
You make fair comment there Dr F but you see, its the off season and a long one at that.
The troops are restless and are baying for blood. We've just had one of our best players and captain, pull the pin on us so the boys & girls are spitting chips as we speak.

As you say, comparing him to Gallen is a bit norsty, as Tony Greig would say.

Soon, the season will start and we'll all be pulling as one, making some wonderful comments above our marvellous coach.

History has a way of repeating itself.

Many suggested he wouldnt see out 2019 mate.

He had reasons for asking to go back to the UK, as watatank / getsmarty said.

The vitriol is over the top.

By letting the club know early, he gave them time to secure a replacement.
He has led the club well ON and OFF the field. he won't play for another NRL rival.

Questioning the guys character, and leadership by some here is garbage.

Crush

Coach
Many suggested he wouldnt see out 2019 mate.

He had reasons for asking to go back to the UK, as watatank / getsmarty said.

The vitriol is over the top.

By letting the club know early, he gave them time to secure a replacement.
He has led the club well ON and OFF the field. he won't play for another NRL rival.

Questioning the guys character, and leadership by some here is garbage.
Vitriol? Thats a bit over the top in itself isn't it?
Why can't we be slightly dark on a captain that is only seeing out 2 of his 4 year deal?
I don't see anybody slamming him with malice.
I think its OK to be disappointed in this decision.
Hardly vitriol being thrown around.

TruSaint

Referee
Vitriol? Thats a bit over the top in itself isn't it?
Why can't we be slightly dark on a captain that is only seeing out 2 of his 4 year deal?
I don't see anybody slamming him with malice.
I think its OK to be disappointed in this decision.
Hardly vitriol being thrown around.

LOL,

Useless leader, cant play under pressure, comparing him with Gallen, release him now, etc etc..
Its all under this thread. Anyway, I wish him well for 2019 and going forward.

Crush

Coach
LOL,

Useless leader, cant play under pressure, comparing him with Gallen, release him now, etc etc..
Its all under this thread. Anyway, I wish him well for 2019 and going forward.
He's a great player when he is on but he has always been a bit of a hot and cold kind of player. I agree that when on he is on he is our best and most valuable.
But I have never valued him as a great capitain. He has been known to go to missing and just go through the motions, something a good captain never does, especially one with widdops natural ability.
Gallen never goes missing. Smith never goes missing. Graham never went missing.
I too wish him well for 2019 and I expect nothing but the best from a marquee paid player and captain like Widdop.

ALSGI

Bench
He’s a great player. Most of the ‘cold’ games have been when the rest of team’s struggling or the opposition was just too hot. Not as staunch as I’d like for our Capitano but an adequate conduit between the team/club/fans/referees and has shown spades of passion.

He has been missed greatly when injured which is proof in the pudding for me. Great player.

Will he be missed next year? Not if we have others to fill the void.

possm

Coach
Hey mate,
What are the family reasons?
Below is most recent quote from Widdop-

“It certainly hasn’t been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now."

The articles don't mention anything about family.

If playing in the ESL has been one of his aspirations for a while now why did he sign a 4 year deal with Dragons?
And not honour 2 of those 4 years?

Sounds odd.

Who cares. It was great having Widdop at the club however, I never liked him as captain. Now we will have a 6 who can kick accurately, manage a game and close out a close game.

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
Who cares. It was great having Widdop at the club however, I never liked him as captain. Now we will have a 6 who can kick accurately, manage a game and close out a close game.
And who is your new Capt possm?

Crush

Coach
It is impossible to second guess Mary because he and I are just not on the same wave-length. However, if it were up to me, I would pick T Sims as captain and J Graham as his deputy.
I'd like to see Tyson Frizzell as captain. He always puts in 100% and is now probably our best player.
Let T. Sims just be a beast. He's a wrecker, doesn't need the captaincy.

Frank Facer

First Grade
It is impossible to second guess Mary because he and I are just not on the same wave-length. However, if it were up to me, I would pick T Sims as captain and J Graham as his deputy.
I would pick Tariq captain too. He was the form second rower in the comp last year. He is also inspirational too.

SBD82

Coach
I would think Graham would make a good captain. However, we need someone on the field for 80 minutes.
Agreed. Which is why Tariq and Friz have an * against them. Depending on what happens with JDB, either or both could be used to fill the void he leaves in the middle.

Fortunately, Widdop has been kind enough to ensure that this isn't a problem for us for another 12 months. In that time someone might put themselves forward to the point where the decision becomes easy.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd like to see Tyson Frizzell as captain. He always puts in 100% and is now probably our best player.
Let T. Sims just be a beast. He's a wrecker, doesn't need the captaincy.
I can see why you would pick Tyson as captain and he may well prove to be a good captain, but is he really suited to captain? Our last 2 captains have been our most senior players with rep honours, but neither of them were really cut out for the job. Neither came across as leaders. I am not sure if Tyson is natural leader either. He is also a bit quite for captain.

possm

Coach
I can see why you would pick Tyson as captain and he may well prove to be a good captain, but is he really suited to captain? Our last 2 captains have been our most senior players with rep honours, but neither of them were really cut out for the job. Neither came across as leaders. I am not sure if Tyson is natural leader either. He is also a bit quite for captain.

Sims comes across as a good public speaker. He certainly leads by example and showed he had the good sense to just remind the Broncos players the score rather than retaliate.

DragonJ

Juniors

Nailed it. That's obviously why we've been one of the worst teams in the comp for the last 5 years.

our second best forward faces serious and credible accusations of sexual assault.

Why stop there? Why don't you throw the entire team under the bus in order to present Widdop in a more favorable light?
possum, I've loved the tremendous success he has brought us over the last 5
No disruption, Widdop will move to fullback for 2019 and either Dufty - if he sorts things out - or Holmes will be our fullback in 2020.

And as we have good forwards, perhaps we can move Frizz to the wing because he is likely going to be the fastest runner in the team.

Holmes is a nice dream but first better get from the Rorters their contact that sells cheap brown paper bags.